[Ingenero] Ok, let me have it

edited December 2011 in Story Games
Hi. Ive been pretty vocal in a couple of threads lately, pushing my point of view. Time to put my balls on the table -- this game represents everything about how I think roleplaying should be.

Im attemtping to convey the essence of my game in as little pages as possible, as an intro in the text. Ive got it down to 5 pages including pitch, diagrams and examples.

IT is here.

Ingenero 5 page nutshell

Have I achieved my aim?

Does the game interest you?

5 pages...

Comments

• Posted By: stefoidTime to put my balls on the table -- this game represents everything abouthow I think roleplaying should be.
    Wow.

This gives me pause. I tend to look at statements like these as warning signs of a bad approach to design.

But I'll take a look! Five pages is a strong selling point.
  • Steve,

Firstly, I think the idea of designing a game around "How you think roleplaying should be" is great. It'll open you up to criticism, but it's nice. (I notice Paul has posted a criticism of this statement above. My comments aren't aimed at his.)

I like the alternating story and conflict scenes. They remind me of Poison'd, with its rolls and fights. Generally, the system looks as though it would work. It borrows from other indie RPGs, which probably means it'd run well.

Although you say the system is built around "How roleplaying should be", I guess I'm still unsure about what you're aiming for. What kinds of stories will it produce? Why are the stats in there? What are the freeform traits doing? If this system is built towards your vision of roleplaying, why borrow those elements from other games? Why not choose things that will give the stories you want?
  • edited December 2011
    Ingenero is guided by the rules of drama rather than the rules of physics or probability.
    What are the rules of drama? How are they used in your game?
    I designed this game to mechanically support both the players and the GM for focussed, immersive and well-paced action roleplaying.
    I can see how the mechanics encourage focus and pacing. But what do you mean by immersive and how is that supported?

I like the idea of the Story vs. Challenge phase and how resolution is handled uniquely in different phases.

The character sheet worries me a bit (but I haven't played or seen the rest of the game so maybe it's fine). When I see, "Belief 1", "Belief 2", "Desire", "Issue", "Long Term Goal", "Short Term Goal" all thrown into a character sheet, it makes me wonder how much effort is involved in generating all of this and how much is used in play. In some games, players have problems coming up with 1 goal. Games like Mouse Guard have systems in place to help revise these types of Motivations as you play, and assistance in coming up with goals. I also wonder what systems are in place for generating a setting and situation since the game is generic. How does everyone get on the same page?

What other games have you played? Who have you played your game with?
  • Posted By: GrahamSteve,

Firstly, I think the idea of designing a game around "How you think roleplaying should be" is great. It'll open you up to criticism, but it's nice. (I notice Paul has posted a criticism of this statement above. My comments aren't aimed at his.)

I like the alternating story and conflict scenes. They remind me of Poison'd, with its rolls and fights. Generally, the system looks as though it would work. It borrows from other indie RPGs, which probably means it'd run well.

Although you say the system is built around "How roleplaying should be", I guess I'm still unsure about what you're aiming for. What kinds of stories will it produce? Why are the stats in there? What are the freeform traits doing? If this system is built towards your vision of roleplaying, why borrow those elements from other games? Why not choose things that will give the stories you want?
    Hi, Im not sure which elements Ive 'borrowed'.

Ill answer the questions when I have more time

thanks!
  • Posted By: GrahamI guess I'm still unsure about what you're aiming for. What kinds of stories will it produce?
    Dramatic action games with cinematic flair - producing a story like a quality action flick.
    Posted By: GrahamWhy are the stats in there?
    Body and soul primarily are there to model the character resiliance to adversity - either physical or mental. They do double duty in that you can risk body and soul in a challenge to get a better outcome (not mentioned in summary)
    Posted By: GrahamWhat are the freeform traits doing?
    You mean the proficiencies? borrowed from Risus/PTA. For the same reasons they use them. I particularly like the aspect that you can cover both competence and address backstory to some extent with a word or two.
    Posted By: GrahamIf this system is built towards your vision of roleplaying, why borrow those elements from other games?
    Because my vision of roleplaying doesnt differ from those games in those respects. hopefully its what I am adding new, to what aint broken, that makes a whole that is worthwhile.
  • Posted By: jenskotWhat are the rules of drama? How are they used in your game?
    Primarilly its about focusing on what is important to the characters, and making sure that play gets to crisis points based on those things and then there is resolution one way or another.
    Posted By: jenskotBut what do you mean by immersive and how is that supported?
    my def, feel free to have your own, I know its one of those topics. Immersion: simply establishing a 'flow' state while playing - I dont see it as any different to a flow state doing any other activity. Thigns which make flow harder to achieve are distractions and disinterest. I hope that a game that focuses heavilly on character goals and paces the story to lead to them will tackle disinterest. I hope that rules that are easy to assimilate and have a light touch will not distract.
    Posted By: jenskotI also wonder what systems are in place for generating a setting and situation since the game is generic. How does everyone get on the same page?
    I have that covered - players first agree on a premise that is structured in a certain way and referenced constantly during character creation. Please see the 2nd draft for details. do you think that has it covered?

INGENERO DOWNLOADS
    Posted By: jenskotThe character sheet worries me a bit (but I haven't played or seen the rest of the game so maybe it's fine). When I see, "Belief 1", "Belief 2", "Desire", "Issue", "Long Term Goal", "Short Term Goal" all thrown into a character sheet, it makes me wonder how much effort is involved in generating all of this and how much is used in play. In some games, players have problems coming up with 1 goal. Games like Mouse Guard have systems in place to help revise these types of Motivations as you play, and assistance in coming up with goals
    yep, yep, yep, this is the problem at the moment. Goals I have covered I believe, but Motivations are hard. currently I have a list of examples for each category which helps somewhat, but its still unsatisfactory. there is a certain art to motivating a group of characters such that they take aim at each other as well as 'the world'.

the solution I am working on at the moment is to replace the list of examples with a list of questions. Any advice?
  • Did you find the deliberate error - thats right, Rainers Long Term Goal "gain respect".... sucked - that is more properly a motivation because it isnt concrete. "Find and kill the head of the ubermench program" is much better
  • 5 page summary updated to reflect various comments people have made.

Summaries - the more you put in them, the less likely they are to be read. grrrr.