[Camp Nerdly] May 18-20 REGISTRATION CLOSED, TIME TO ROCK

edited January 2012 in Story Games
We got our dates! Camp Nerdly will be from May 18-20 in Prince William Forest in Triangle, Virginia. Registration should start in February.

Comments

• Thank you so much!
    Looking forward to it.
  • W00t! I am so happy, Remi.

Everyone: What are some game-type activities that perfectly mesh with Nerdly's rustic, isolated setting? In the past we've:

Played Ganakagok under the stars
    Run cabin-filling Jeep games
    Had workshops and hikes

I'd like to think about other legal things that will be actively enhanced by our unique and exciting location. Any ideas?
  • NERF WARS!!!

I'm not sure the best way to do this as a Thing, but I desperately want to shoot at people while diving behind a tree. PEW PEW PEW!

Lazer tag would also be awesome, but MUCH more expensive.

-Rachel
  • Nerf wars is easy, since you can arm yourself for less than $10 :)

Of course nice crew served belt feds are less than $50......... A few mods.... Fun!
  • Good idea, Rachel. I wonder if we could commandeer an indoor space and set up obstacles for a straight-up war. Outdoors, perhaps a zombie attack would work. Nerf also offers wicked looking hand weapons.
  • I fully support the idea of an all out Nerf war but may I suggest a game of Assassin?
  • We used to play Counter-Strike with Nerf type weapons.
    (So basically there's a "bomb" and the "terrorists" win if the thing goes off, and the other people win if they can keep a guy touching it for 30 seconds. The bomb can be anywhere. Good luck.)

Also, Sagefight outdoors?

Since I'm (most likely) doing a train instead of a plane this year... I can bring my kubb set?

Didn't Tim Kleinert do some kind of out-door morning exercise a few years back? Are you thinking something like that?

Shelter in Place? Is that a thing?

Hey hey, and another event that we could totally coordinate. Two simultaneous games. In the past, I've heard of the Agon game where one table played gods and the other mortals. Or two tables that were playing against another for a prize. What about coordinating a few people to do a similar thing? I like this best, personally, when the tables are literally playing different game (systems) in the same fictional space. The rules interraction can be amazingly fertile ground.

Also! A GM Improv. I'm down with coordinating. We would need a few people who are willing to run a game without knowing what the plot is until it's handed to them. Admittedly, it's less "challenging" for games that are heavily player driven, but it's all factored in to the score sheet.

I liked the workshop I attended, but I've only done the one so I don't know what kind of reliability that sample has. More of that could be fun.
  • I could organize a game of Shelter in Place if people were into it. We'd need a dozen or so, more would be better, and it'd take a whole game slot though. With enough participants you could start doing cool things with scarce resources, multiple survivor bases, factions, giant zombie mobs, it could be epic.
  • I would LOVE to play Shelter in a Place. That would be awesome at Nerdly. And absolutely worth a slot.

Also Kubb is so fun - please bring it, Harlequin!

I think a Nerf war with mixed weaponry would be super cool. But I definitely agree that having it be part of a game (Assassin, Capture the Flag, etc.) would be best.

I'll need to save some time to play tabletop RPGs, too!

OMG, THIS COMMENT NEEDS MORE CAPITAL LETTERS TO CONVEY MY EXCITEMENT ABOUT NERDLY!!!!!

-Rachel
  • I'm reading this mostly as a form of torture, since work prevents me from coming this year. I would die (and get back up again) to play Shelter in Place at Nerdly.

However, I feel compelled to say that any Nerf ideas should probably be contained to the indoors, since you wouldn't want to litter the woods with ammunition...
  • Posted By: Steve SegedyHowever, I feel compelled to say that any Nerf ideas should probably be contained to the indoors, since you wouldn't want to litter the woods with ammunition...
    This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm game for idle talk about events we'd like to see.

But, when all is said and done, and you add up all the time in my life I've been camping, it totals over a full year in days (been that way since I was 20 IIRC): I'm a staunch conservationist/outdoorsman, and Nerf + Forest == Crap :

1) The darts will get all over the place. It will be a litterfest.
    2) If we try to pick them up, we're guaranteed to miss some/all of them, chances exponentially increase the further the radius into the woods.
    3) If we do go through with it, and vow to make an effort to scour for litter afterwards, to meet my stringent standards of post-nerdly cleanup, we'll be all in the woods doing nothing but Potential Dart Retrieval for 90+ minutes.

Indoors: Not as much room (you could create obstacles with the tables/benches, but I'm not nearly as opposed to that idea as Outdoors.

If Joshua comes again, I would totally be up for Making/Fighting with boffer weapons outdoors. The only cleanup involved is your brains off the rocks when I've bested you.

-Andy
  • edited January 2012
    Posted By: Andy... afterwards, to meet my stringent standards of post-nerdly cleanup, we'll be all in the woods doing nothing but Potential Dart Retrieval for 90+ minutes.

Indoors: Not as much room (you could create obstacles with the tables/benches, but I'm not nearly as opposed to that idea as Outdoors.

If Joshua comes again, I would totally be up for Making/Fighting with boffer weapons outdoors. The only cleanup involved is your brains off the rocks when I've bested you.

-Andy
    I can get behind this too. Indoors or boffer still interests me.
  • Thanks for the reality check, Andy! Shelter in Place seems like a good way to go, no liability or pollution issues and fun as hell. I'd be glad to facilitate it on Friday night maybe? It'd be a great ice-breaker activity, too.
  • Ok, just bullshitting. I was kind of hoping to get some more ideas out before shutting them down.

The thing about boffering is that it doesn't seem as accessible as Nerf. Andy and Joshua should definitely bash each others brains out (it's very entertaining!), but not everyone's into taking on the masters and getting bruised. So I guess, moving on...

Jason, do we need special equipment for Shelter and if so, do you need help putting it together?
  • edited January 2012
    LARPs are cool, but I'd also like to do some tabletop-out-in-nature. Play some lite (i.e., not much need for physical stuff like dice & sheets) game while hiking, for example. Location-scout your scenes. Play in pitch blackness.

Some sort of full-group ambulatory thingy would be cool. I found Shelter in Place somewhat aimless at Dreamation, but maybe that could work if we carved up the campsite into physical objectives or something. I do like sneaking about.

My preference would actually be Capture the Flag. I've played that in the dark before and it's amazing.

Sports? I will again offer lessons and organization for a game of ultimate frisbee, of course. Though quick tossing breaks between other activities turned out to be more practical last year.

Hey, you know what'd be sweet? If we all make a thing together. A collage, recording, decor scheme, fantasy setting, map...

Does the park support bonfires? I want a group fire we can all sit around and tell ancient tales and pass the talking stick.
  • edited January 2012
    Dave, you should offer to run a session of Sherpa!

Rachel, no special equipment is necessary for Shelter in Place. As of now you are my co-leader! There is not much prep, just a bunch of cards to cut out and so forth. The last time I ran it I went all out and had real items, but this time I'll probably just use index cards that say "FOOD" on them and so forth. Overhead is pretty low. We'll need a CD player but that's about it.

We need a small-ish building with two doors - do the cabins all have two exits? I can't recall.

I'm reluctant to offer any really strenuous activity in the dark because inevitably someone will get hurt.
  • edited January 2012
    Cabins have one exit, unless you count windows.
  • Sherpa: the Meandering. You roll pools of pointy rocks. Each rock pointing north is a success.
  • I would love to group create something like a map or collage at Nerdly. That is a fantastic idea.

And all of the physical activities sound good to me. (Woo, thanks Arnold for not helping us make a decision.) With the possible exception of Sherpa. It looks a little too complicated on my first casual browse.

Rules lite games for outdoors play? We could almost turn "Be Ashamed Young Prince" into a thing, like a live thing, with, you know, a body and whatnot. Act out the scenes rather than narrate them. Could be awesomesauce? "Stones" would be buttons pinned on your shirt instead (so we know who has what. In the game they just sit on the table in front of you.)

I'm still down for Ganakagok out under the stars. I am available to run it if need be.

The cabin higher up (elevation wise, with the one big room and the (three?) side rooms) could still serve for a fun nerf activity cabin. Tables sideways for obstacles and whatnot.
  • Some things I would like to do:

1. Set out a big sheet to make a map on Friday then use it to play a game on Saturday night. The game would depend on the map - Archipelago II, Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, whatevs. Maybe this could be your GM challenge, Harlequin - everybody using the map's information.

2. Find a partner, run two simultaneous games and swap players occasionally. Remi and I did this with Dungeon World and it was so much fun.

3. Run a game for a really large group that people could drop in and out of easily. Dungeon Crawl Classics with the celebrated character funnel, perhaps. Or The Regiment? Maybe Shelter in Place scratches this itch.

4. Run a creepy late night Cthulhu Dark game with a DJ. Or maybe Previous Occupants.

These options could be combined in various ways, of course.
  • Posted By: Jason Morningstar2. Find a partner, run two simultaneous games and swap players occasionally. Remi and I did this with Dungeon World and it was so much fun.
    This. I've had similar fun with Little Fears.
    Posted By: Jason Morningstar1. Set out a big sheet to make a map on Friday then use it to play a game on Saturday night. The game would depend on the map - Archipelago II, Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, whatevs. Maybe this could be your GM challenge, Harlequin - everybody using the map's information.
    That has far reaching potential. Players can even deliberately contribute map elements that they want to guide their play towards.
  • Oh, no way, Sherpa is an actual thing? I will go read that link...

As for map-then-play, Jason Godesky said his game Fifth World was perfect for that, so there's another option.

Hells yes to Cthulhu Dark with a DJ. I'd be happy to contribute to a playlist.
  • Posted By: David BergHells yes to Cthulhu Dark with a DJ. I'd be happy to contribute to a playlist.
    Well, we'd need someone excited about being the DJ first, I reckon.
  • How many folks would be interested in doing a Magic Draft Friday night? I'm thinking of brinking a box of boosters if there is enough interest.
  • So, it looks like I can book a flight to DCA (Reagan) and if I do it soon, it's only $200 round-trip.

What are the odds that someone might be free Friday to pick myself and one passenger up, and then also to drop us off Sunday?
  • Can't help you, but DCA is on the blue line which can get you into northern VA, which might make a pickup much easier.
  • Not sure I am going or not yet (I want to). but 1. I live a 3 minute drive from DCA, and 2. if I can't go, there are a number of other people from the NOVA small press group that are planning are going.
  • Harlequin, we'll figure it out when we're closer to the date. I'm sure it will be OK. As Jason said, you might have to use the Metro a bit to make it convenient for your driver, but that won't be too hard.
  • Posted By: JBMannonHow many folks would be interested in doing a Magic Draft Friday night? I'm thinking of brinking a box of boosters if there is enough interest.

I'd be interested.
  • Last year was my first Nerdly and it was a ton of fun. I'm really looking forward to it this year. Though I might try to get there earlier this time... I could do without being stuck with latrine duty. ;-)
  • edited January 2012
    Stuck?
    Where's that Camp Nerdly Code? There's gotta be a link somewhere(here)?
  • Someone smarter than me needs to do up some rules for a Japanese cooking drama LARP that results in us doing actual cooking.

So, basically, anyone reading this, consider it.
  • Posted By: Jim CrockerSomeone smarter than me needs to do up some rules for a Japanese cooking drama LARP that results in us doing actual cooking.

So, basically, anyone reading this, consider it.
    Theme ingredient:

SNAILS!

If this happens, I'm so calling the role of Alton Brown.
  • Posted By: David BergDoes the park supportbonfires?I want a group fire we can all sit around and tell ancient tales and pass the talking stick.
    I'll bring my djembe! And marshmallows!
  • Posted By: Jason Morningstar3. Run a game for a really large group that people could drop in and out of easily. Dungeon Crawl Classics with the celebrated character funnel, perhaps. Or The Regiment? Maybe Shelter in Place scratches this itch.
    I like to run Old School D&D this way. I don't have DCC yet, but maybe I will by Nerdly. Maybe I'll have D&D Next by then, too.
  • Posted By: HarlequinSo, it looks like I can book a flight to DCA (Reagan) and if I do it soon, it's only $200 round-trip.

What are the odds that someone might be free Friday to pick myself and one passenger up, and then also to drop us off Sunday?
    Can you get to BWI instead? I drive by it.
  • Posted By: Adam DrayCan you get to BWI instead? I drive by it.
    Got flight sorted. Thanks to Jeff Collyer yet again. But thank you for the offer.

In general, I'm really for a big game that people can cycle in and out of. I could offer to help run, especially if we can incorporate this giant big co-created map idea, but I haven't read many dungeon crawl type games (except AD&D.) Maybe I'll just play instead, or be courier between the GMs?
  • Bill White has convinced me to at least put it on my calendar. I will run Metropolis for those who want to play bridges, skyscrapers, robots and angsty silent-film people.

My favorite meta-game quote from running it at Intercon 2011:
    "Uh... I've got 'Suicidal' coming up. Watch and make sure I don't kill me. Unless you've got 'Murderous'."
  • Even, how many people do you need to run Metropolis?
  • edited January 2012
    As few as 6, as many as 12.
  • Cool, that is easily do-able. For some reason I was imagining a cast of 24 machine parts or something.
  • I'll facilitate my Ganakagok freeform "parlor larp"; it's best with at least 8 and preferably 12 folks and only takes about two hours to run. I've run it at Nerdly before and it was a lot of fun.
  • edited February 2012
    Stuck?
    Where's that Camp Nerdly Code?

Oops. I was just teasing, though. Sorry.
  • A note to other parents: I plan on bringing my 1.5-year-old and 3.5-year-old, and I'm hoping to have a preschooler-geared activity during each daytime game slot. The more kids there are, the more kid-friendly it will be!
  • To those that know - how much of a loss would it be showing up Saturday AM instead of Friday PM? I have an unavoidable conflict on the Friday night, but would really love to experience the Nerdly Experience if that experience wouldn't be ruined by missing the first night.

• You'd be missing a meal, the chance to meet and hang out with everybody and make connections, an evening in the barracks among the giant hornets, and probably a single game.
  • What about sign-ups for stuff? Is there still a place to do that online beforehand?
  • edited February 2012
    Posted By: David BergWhat about sign-ups for stuff? Is there still a place to do that online beforehand?
    The website for Nerdly has not been updated yet. Game sign-ups and other issues will be sorted when registration begins.
  • edited February 2012
    Is this the most recent thread on CN (it's the most recent I can find...)? Jule Ann, if you're serious, I may be able to consider coming and bringing my 4 year old (even if all I end up doing is hanging with the toddlers and chatting with folks, as I'd be solo parenting).
  • Hi everyone! I am having some trouble finding a registration page for Nerdly 2012. Is there one up yet?