So many Fiasco playsets, so little time ...

edited January 2012 in Story Games
My friend James' birthday wish, for the third year running, is to play Fiasco. James is a fellow gamer, but this is one of the rare chances we play with some other friends who aren't nerds like us. Fun! This group has already played the Small Southern Town and Manna Hotel playsets, so I wanted to provide some bold new options.

I hadn't actually been to the official Playset of the Month page in a while. Wow! So many crazy, awesome, free things!

I settled on Reconstruction, Transatlantic and Quest for the Golden Panda. But it was not easy.

The game's not until tomorrow, though, if anyone has a favorite they want to make a case for.

Comments

• If you think the players might be in the mood to make with their best 'orrible French, Brit & German accents, I can recommend Lucky Strike as a set that produced a great session recently.

Golden Panda and Reconstruction have been at the top of my "must play" Fiasco sets for some time now. I'm not even confident that Reconstruction would go well, but it feels full of potential to me.
  • edited January 2012
    I agree, Camp Lucky Strike is probably my favourite so far - if you do try it, I highly reccomend finding a playlist or online radio station of '40s music to play!
  • Can you point James at the PotM page and ask him to pick? Or get him to winnow it down to three he'd love to try?
  • I really enjoyed playing Transatlantic. Everyone has seen the movie Titanic, so I feel like people have a shared vision of what being on steamer would be like. I think that shared setting knowledge makes for a world of potential fiascoes.
  • +1 on Transatlantic - great set! If you're especially interested in the historical sets, I also recommend Dallas 1963, and De' Medici is currently at the top of my to-play list.
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarCan you point James at the PotM page and ask him to pick? Or get him to winnow it down to three he'd love to try?
    He's up for anything. My choices are more aimed at the other players, who are of the "We'll show up and you tell us what the deal is" school.

Although, really, the main point of this thread is to express my delight that there are so many cool playsets available. The world should know!
    Posted By: mease19I really enjoyed playing Transatlantic. Everyone has seen the movie Titanic, so I feel like people have a shared vision of what being on steamer would be like. I think that shared setting knowledge makes for a world of potential fiascoes.
    This! I agree completely. Which is why I skipped some of the playsets set in places and times I don't know much about.

(For that same reason, no one is going to pick Quest for the Golden Panda at tomorrow's game.)
  • I think Transatlantic is one of the hot ones. Just played it at Fiascocon last weekend.
  • I've played a shitload of Fiasco...but I always come back to the Nice Southern Town.
  • Nice to see some Transatlantic love. If it makes any difference, 2012 is the centenary of the sinking of the Titanic.

I'm also a big fan of Dallas 63; and have yet to take Lucky Strike for a spin but it's high on my list.
  • We played Transatlantic! It was a good one.

St. John Smythe pretended to be friends with the ship's purser, Reginald Black, but only to learn where his father had hidden the dowager countess' emerald tiara aboard the ship, while Burt Smythe, St. John's identical twin separated at birth, snuck aboard and pretended to be his brother, also in order to steal the tiara, which he wanted to use to fund the activities of Pierre Lecarre, a Frenchman traveling to New York to repatriate the Statue of Liberty back to France. On board, Pierre Lecarre was posing as wealthy American peanut farmer Percibald Jackson, but he was (sort of) found out when his brother-in-law, Hank Shanksmith, an uneducated harpooner, was rescued from the Georgia Peach, which sank in the North Atlantic with all hands aboard. Shanksmith spent a night of strong, manly passion with Reginald Black, who denied this forbidden love until the end of the game, when, gut-shot by Burt Smythe, he begged Shanksmith's forgiveness. There was also a pirate ship of Australians, and a bag full of tiaras, and the cruise ship may not have actually sunk, but it was hard to tell.

TLDR: A fiasco happened on a boat.
  • What do you hear in your head when you think of metal? A lot of people hear "Smoke on the Water" or the electric guitar joining on "Enter Sandman", or maybe even the main guitar loop from "Just One Fix". For me, it's the first few seconds of "Chapel of Ghouls" - to me, that is totally metal. Brian, right now, Morbid Angel is playing on my brain radio.

tl;dr - \m/