[OSH Shadowrun] Street Samurai First-Draft

edited January 2012 in Make Stuff!
Hey story games,

Just got a new post up on my blog. One of the things I'm working on is a re-skinning of Kirin Robinson's Old School Hack for Shadowrun. It's for my once-in-a-blue-moon gaming group, should we get together any time soon.

Here is the first draft of the Street Samurai character sheet. They're currently in 11x17 format, but I'll do them in 8.5x11 too once I finish with all the classes.

Quick PDF Export

If anyone is feeling up for it, I'd love to hear some feedback. I think a full on hack for Shadowrun would be pretty boss. I'm up for the challenge, but it could be hours and hours and hours of work. If anyone on SG would like to see a full hack, I'd love to know so I'm not spending time on something only my group will play with. Otherwise, I'll just do the character sheets and wing the rest probably! :)

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Yes yes and YES.

I want this. A lot. If you make all the character sheets, I can wing it. I love what you have so far. Go go go!

(My annoying nitpick which you should totally ignore but I'll say it anyway: Kill the drop shadows on the boxes.)
  • edited January 2012
    I love it!

I want more.

The character sheet feels very 80s to me, which is appropriate!

Also I've added your blog to my RSS reader.
  • It looks interesting, still a lot there, but it IS simplified, at a loss of customization. I wonder if you could do palette swaps, letting you trade out one of the cybernetic boxes for another set?
  • Ooh, yeah, it'd be great if there was a sheet of cybernetic stuff, and you cut it all out, and then you attach the ones you get to your sheet with a paperclip or something.
  • I actually find having limited choices refreshing.
  • Yes yes yes yes. If you hack all of Shadowrun, I will get a group together to playtest for you, no joke.

Whisper me if you want to get this thing going. : )
  • A couple of nit-picks:

1) Pretty sure it is "sheer mass", not "shear mass". Although maybe you are talking about how much a katana weighs.

2) Are languages really as important as they appear to be on the character sheet? I'd think making that list of languages three columns in a shorter box, then adding more types of contacts to choose from would be cooler.
  • Okay, cool, so it's not just me! :D
    Posted By: John HarperYes yes and YES.

I want this. A lot. If you make all the character sheets, I can wing it. I love what you have so far. Go go go!

(My annoying nitpick which you should totally ignore but I'll say it anyway: Kill the drop shadows on the boxes.)
    Nice! Glad to hear someone else will make use of these things. Winging it shouldn't be problem for most experienced GM's familiar with Redbox or Old School Hack, buuuuut I'm kinda thinking I'm just going to go ahead and do the full on hack. The character sheets are where most of the work is and at this point I'm just changing the information on the sheets for each class, so it shouldn't be too hard!

As far as your feedback is concerned, I kicked the drop-shadow, printed it, compared it to the version with the shadows, and determined that you were right. Doesn't make a huge difference, but it does make the sheet look a little brighter and uses a tiny bit less ink, which is good considering the ridiculous prices on ink now-a-days.
    Posted By: jenskotI love it!

I want more.

The character sheet feels very 80s to me, which is appropriate!

Also I've added your blog to my RSS reader.
    Wow! Now that you mention it, it does indeed look like an 80's style character sheet and that's about the best compliment you could given me. I totally didn't see it till you said it, and now that you said it, I love it! Totally fits the approach I plan to take on the hack itself (I do not plan to touch on pretty much anything from 4th Edition, I like it old school).
    Posted By: SilverlionIt looks interesting, still a lot there, but it IS simplified, at a loss of customization. I wonder if you could do palette swaps, letting you trade out one of the cybernetic boxes for another set?
    Posted By: Marshall BurnsOoh, yeah, it'd be great if there was a sheet of cybernetic stuff, and you cut it all out, and then you attach the ones you get to your sheet with a paperclip or something.
    That's definitely a cool thought, although I tend to agree with Ivan about having a limited number of choices being a nice change of pace from the infinite options of Shadowrun. Still, I have been mulling over that idea and I'm not totally against it.
    Posted By: framweardYes yes yes yes. If you hack all of Shadowrun, I will get a group together to playtest for you, no joke.

Whisper me if you want to get this thing going. : )
    Awesome! But, wait... what do you mean by "hack all of Shadowrun"? I need to keep the scope limited at first otherwise I'll get overwhelmed and never finish it. But I love the enthusiasm!
    Posted By: WordmanA couple of nit-picks:

1) Pretty sure it is "sheer mass", not "shear mass". Although maybe you are talking about how much a katana weighs.

2) Are languages really as important as they appear to be on the character sheet? I'd think making that list of languages three columns in a shorter box, then adding more types of contacts to choose from would be cooler.
    Absolutely tell me if I spell something wrong! :) Yes, it's supposed to be "sheer".

Good design point on the Languages. I kind of felt like the language box was a little big considering that we don't usually bring language into the mix unless someone brings it up. I agree more sample contacts would probably have a bit more cool factor.

Seriously, thanks for the feedback guys! Also, if you have any ideas for edges (talents), equipment, contacts, I'd love to get some group input here! I'm going to make a few slight changes to this sheet and then start working on the other classes. (fun!)
  • Hey Story Games!

Just wanted to drop a line here and let everyone know this project and I are still alive! While I was making headway on the hack in February, my life hit a pretty serious snag, and suffice to say, the last few months have been a crazy roller-coaster ride of unfortuante events. Things are calmer again now and I'm trying to get my head back into a place where my hobbies actually interest me again. It's proving fairly difficult, but I've spent some time working on this Shadowrun hack and I'm pleased with how it's coming along. I'll be posting some updates again soon.

In other news, Shadowrun is heading back to video game arena. Check it out if you haven't already:

Shadowrun Returns Kick-Started Page
  • Sorry to hear things have been tough for you. But glad to hear it's getting better!

Can't wait to see more OSH SR stuff.
  • Not sure if it's just me but I can't access the website. Anyone else having this problem?
  • Sorry about that Denys. My website going down is just one of many problems I'm dealing with right now. In the mean time, I redirected and rehosted the files. You can access everything at www.sentientgames.wordpress.com