[Dungeon World: Planarch Codex] A Mini-Supplement

edited February 2012 in Make Stuff!
I'm splitting off from the DW Planescape thread to talk about the specific project that's come out of it:

A sample of a half-dozen pages of the alpha draft is available here, if you want to check it out. Hans and I are still banging out specific options for planes, planar travel, classes, and some alternative basic moves, but what's here is almost playable as is. It'll be more playable once I finish the "planar Hx" guidelines.

As the first page explains, each section contains options rules that can be used all together or piecemeal. You can easily use the planar travel rules without the city of Dis, or Dis without the Sultana, or the Sultana without the road wardens, or any other combination you like. There's some links between specific options, like how the new heritage moves show up in a few places so far, but those are easy to remove or hack if you don't want to use them.

Comments

• Heritage=fucking GOLD! Electrum, even!
    I'll need to come up with some suitable penalty for choosing this as a move in my regular DW. game though, like -1 ongoing to Parley with anyone who doesn't share your monstrous heritage (though maybe also +1 with those who do?).
  • Love this.

Love Sultana and Dis's background & relationship.
  • Interesting! I'll definitely look into this when it's complete, although I have a feeling I'll still probably write up a actual-Planescape hack so I could, say, run Dead Gods or the Blood War campaign if I wanted to.

Although it'll probably just consist of a few alternate racial moves, and a quick list of faction moves, thrown together into an unformatted google doc, at least at first.
  • Nice! I will totally download/buy/play this when you've knocked it into a shape you're happy with.
  • Not only does this hack scream awesome, it's like a lightning sauce for my Dungeon World Nyfflas hack-thing that I'm working on. Show us more!
  • Thanks for the love, cats! I'll try to post more pages as they get finished. Hopefully I'll get to play this soon too! If anybody else tries out any of the moves in play, I'd love to hear about it.
  • If you want to play out some moves and planar shenanigans at our meetup tomorrow night, I won't object. :)
  • Yeah, it's great to see excitement! I echo Jonathan's thanks. I'm working on XP & special moves for various planes, which will segue into Fronts & Dangers for those pretty naturally. And then, alternate beginning moves for Planarch characters, and probably some appropriate additional level up moves, as well.
  • We didn't play, but I think Jonathan made a dozen red pen notes on his print out. So, mission accomplished.
  • Fantastic!

Also: are those Road Wardens on the cover? I think so.
  • Yup, I was going to work on basic moves next, but I think we now have rules for classes (the new "planar adventurer" playbook, which takes moves from a bunch of existing classes), group dynamics, bonds/Hx, missions, and maybe harm, just y'know not written down yet. I still need to dig into all the work Hans has been doing on planes too.

Could be road wardens, could just be planar adventurers. Part of what's so great about the cover is that you want to be those people without know for sure who they are or what they are up to. And to think I just had that artwork laying around...
  • edited February 2012
    Check this out:

* you get XP for spending honestly or ill-gotten wealth on yourselves

* otherwise, you get XP when your actions directly enable a faction to make a move, either through your service to them, the wealth and treasure you bring them, removing an obstacle to their advancement, or some other services provided (when this happens, the GM makes a faction [front] move for them)

* your factional patrons can be selfish or selfless, mortal or immortal, dangerous or harmless, weak or strong, on this plane or any other plane; however, factions (by their very nature) are always looking out for their own advancement or betterment and are very much aware of what they need and what the obstacles are: there is always work to be done; if the players are looking for a mission or some trouble to get into, the GM should look down at their faction moves and decide what is preventing the faction from making a move right this minute (resources, obstacles, other concerns that are a distraction, lack of leadership, lack of connections, etc.)

* planar adventurers begin play with some factional connections, whether they choose to conduct services for them or not

* sometimes, when you spend honestly or ill-gotten wealth on yourselves (i.e. when you spend it strategically rather than in a hedonistic fashion), you also get to make a faction move for your crew, though this raises your profile with the other factions
  • Posted By: J. Walton
    * otherwise, you get XP when your actions directly enable a faction to make a move, either through your service to them, the wealth and treasure you bring them, removing an obstacle to their advancement, or some other services provided (when this happens, the GM makes a faction [front] move for them)

* sometimes, when you spend honestly or ill-gotten wealth on yourselves (i.e. when you spend it strategically rather than in a hedonistic fashion), you also get to make a faction move for your crew, though this raises your profile with the other factions
    I really dig these!
  • So good!

You have me wondering now if I can yoink this for our DW campaign. The PCs are approaching 6th level, have contact with several factions, and are about to set themselves up as a permanent power in the megadungeon.
  • edited February 2012
    Thanks, Hamish! I think that'll work to make fronts much easier to wrap your brain around and also enable PC-groups to act like fronts.

Yes, please, Tony! I should have the "faction war" rules done tonight, since I just Tweeted the rest to John this morning.

Short version: factions are ranked from +3 (super powerful) to -2 (destitute). Each faction gets one front move per session, which can be made either before or during play; typically this is against another faction, but sometimes it's just to do a thing. When a faction makes its move, roll+rank, with other factions being able to spend their front move to aid or interfere (in which case, they don't get to make a move this session). Players can enable one or more factions to make an additional move this session (or sometimes, an extra move next session), and can also make a move on their own if they have the time and resources (i.e. workspace, basically). Factions gain or loose ranks by meeting specific fictional requirements. PC crews probably start at rank -1, but could be higher if they've done a bunch of stuff already.
  • edited February 2012
    P.S. Note that factions are as much PC-generated as GM-generated. If a player says: "I find an orphanage and donate all my loot to it," sooner or later that orphanage is going to turn into a significant faction, since it now has the resources to make extra moves and grow into something larger, even if it starts out at rank -2. So the GM invents some factions based on their interests, but the PCs have the power to pick something in the fiction and focus their attention on it, which effectively turns it into an institution with mechanical significance.
  • That's cool, Jonathan. I look forward to seeing it.
  • Posted By: tony dowlerare about to set themselves up as a permanent power in the megadungeon
    What do you mean "about to"? We are totally the bosses!
  • Necro'd

Any updates on the Codex, Jonathan or Hans?
  • This looks dope.
  • It's just Jonathan's thing now! It's been released to Dungeon World Kickstarter backers, but not to anyone else yet...
  • Wait a minute! I'm a Dungeon World Kickstarter backer...

I must've missed a memo!
  • Yeah, the closest thing I've gotten from the Kickstarter is "Dark Heart Of The Dreamer", with an almost identical cover; both docs are clearly both part of the same setting, but they don't have any of the same content.

So color me confused.
  • Woops, call me mr. misinformation.

Dark Heart of the Dreamer is out, and it's a part of the Planarch Codex. I'm not sure what plans Jonathan has for the PC proper.
  • I'm digging this supplement. It inspired a blog posts about the pubs and inns of Dis.
  • edited January 2013
    Hey, @J_Walton, I played a great game of World of Dungeons (in the city of Dis) at a convention here today, and two of the players were interested in getting hold of the PDF - do you have any objection to my sharing it with them?
  • Hey @Mike_Sands, that's cool with me. Coincidentally, I submitted the final PDF of Dark Heart to both Sage & Adam (for distribution to KS backers) and DriveThruRPG on Saturday. So if they like it, you can tell them they can get the edited version sometime early next week for $5, once DriveThru approves it. It contains a new bonus move on page 33! Plus the entire text is now CC-BY, like DW itself.

Other folks: I'm not sure where the confusion is. Dark Heart is the only part of the Planarch Codex that's been released so far, though Judd's also posted some awesome stuff. It's only available to KS backers right now, but next week it'll be publicly available for $5. There will probably be another collection of excerpts in the future, based on the stuff various people have created for games they've run. I'm trying to put a full campaign together soon, since I've only played a half dozen sessions so far, and some of those were rough early playtests. Can't wait for the real thing!
  • Great, thanks!
  • I know everybody's probably distracted by old D&D products, but guess what else went up on DriveThru this week?
    http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/110283/Dark-Heart-of-the-Dreamer