People who read at work: What do you want in an RPG site?

RyRy
edited February 2012 in Forum Discussion
When you're reading an RPG site but you're at work, what do you want to see?

Comments

• RyRy
    edited February 2012

My list would include:

1. Black text on white background.
    2. Small, digestible chunks of information.
    3. NSFW sections clearly set aside from the rest.
  • If it has a forum, there's something Vanilla seems to do that whatever software they use at Rpg.net doesn't -- keep track of individual threads I've visited and when. The way rpg.net works, if I go to a forum and then get busy and can't finish reading the threads I find interesting, I'll lose all my place for the ones I didn't get to.
  • G+ features:

- Ability to easily ignore specific people or threads.
    - Ability to get updates on a specific thread via email.

General:

- Ability to turn off all graphic (which I can do via my web browser).
    - Ability to minimize the user interface.
    - Eliminate anything that would limit my ability to scale the text easily.
    - Page padding or margins of at least 10-20 pixels on all sides, even when I zoom in.
    - Near black text on a near white background.
    - Ability to hide user interface elements.
    - Ability to view all posts in a multiple page thread in 1 long page.
  • I like having text format buttons in the response window. Some sites allow them but you have to add your own html code to achieve them, what a pain.
  • Ditto on your list, Ry.
  • No non-text ads, especially ones on the sides of the page that you can't scroll to escape.

No user icons / avatars, or tiny ones like the ones used here.

No user signatures. User signatures have a strange power to transform an otherwise enjoyable forum poster into a fucking See n' Say.

"Click to load this image" functionality so images in posts are not displayed by default, but the reader can click to see them when the coast is clear.

Text browser (w3m, elinks, etc) compatibility. A text browser running on a remote host and viewed thru a ssh tunnel is a good stealthy browser.
    Posted By: jenskot- Ability to view all posts in a multiple page thread in 1 long page.
    Yes! The RPGnet "View many posts in a printable format" functionality is super awesome for work browsing.
  • It would be a plus if its easily readable on a smartphone.
  • Posted By: mease19It would be a plus if its easily readable on a smartphone.
    This too.
  • Yes, the smartphone bit is key. In fact, most of the suggestions above are typical in good mobile UIs.

• Links that open in new tabs. I can think of two gaming sites I go to multiple times daily that don't do this.
  • People yelling at each other, even if it's for no reason - I like to not be bored at work!
  • Posted By: Peter Aronsonkeep track of individual threads I've visited and when
    This is HUGE. Other stuff is nice (simple, low-graphics presentation, etc.), but this is basically essential. A good site needs to remember where I left off, so I can drift in and out at home and at work.
  • Posted By: Daniel H.Links that open in new tabs. I can think of two gaming sites I go to multiple times daily that don't do this.
    Links that don't open in new tabs. That behavior is terrible, with only a bare handful of exceptions (heavyweight web apps get a pass). If I want a new tab, I will damned well ask for one. This goes double for mobile access. My browser has a history function, which I'd like to work.
  • Long interviews.
  • Posted By: johnzo
    Text browser (w3m, elinks, etc) compatibility.A text browser running on a remote host and viewed thru a ssh tunnel is a good stealthy browser.
    This. I work almost exclusively in terminals and being able to browse forums in an 80ch-wide box is a big thing for me.
  • The ability to turn off images would be nice. Also keeping things short and sweet is great. At least a few times a day I'm stuck on a 15 minute long hold and being able to read something pretty quick is nice.
  • Posted By: ccreitzLinks that don't open in new tabs.
    Agreed. I can right click a standard link to "Open Link in New Tab". I cannot right click a new tab targeted link to "Open in this Same Fucking Pane".
  • It would be nice if you could set all these options in your profile so that pages displayed according to your settings right off the bat.
  • No Flash

An easy to opt out of "mobile" site.
  • Caveat: I didn't read the other responses.

Not having the site listed as "game" related. My work (i.e. The U.S. Army) filters based on such tags.
  • A way to know what discussions jenskot is posting in.
  • Posted By: WolfeNot having the site listed as "game" related. My work (i.e. The U.S. Army) filters based on such tags.
    What a bizarre thing to block. I guess they have their reasons, but "game" is definitely not even in the top ten words I'd filter, tilting more toward the "barely legal" and "coeds" end of the spectrum.
  • Gaming =gambling
  • Hell, if a man can't gamble a little on company time, I ask you: what can a man do?