Jungle Speed thoughts, inspired by CN0

edited October 2006 in Actual Play
So playing Jungle Speed at Camp Nerdly hammered home how differently people have interpreted the rules of the game. I've gone through the rules carefully, and extracted what I believe is the correct interpretation of several potentially confusing or frequently misused areas.

* All players are dealt an equal number of cards. Any extra cards are placed under the totem ("in the pot") and go to the first person to take cards.

* Not every mistake gets you all the face-up cards, only grabbing the totem when you shouldn't have, or knocking it over. Flipping out of turn, for example, does not get you penalized this way.

* Interestingly, a color match card triggers a toggle in the gameplay. It changes the game from pattern match to color match until someone knocks over the totem or another special card is flipped. So even if the color match card is covered, the game is still in color match mode. Having the color match end when it is covered is an optional rule for games with four or five players.

* If there are multiple duels possible, ONLY the first one is resolved. If there are, say, two pattern matches on the table (either from players not noticing a match or an all flip card) and the totem is grabbed to resolve one of the matches, the other match is NO LONGER POSSIBLE. If someone grabs the totem at this point, they have grabbed in error.

* If your last card is a special card (arrow card), special rules are used. If your last card is an all grab, you MUST grab the totem. If someone else gets to it first, you take all face-up cards (including any in the pot). If your last card is an all flip, it's an automatic win. If your last card is a color match, you automatically take all face-up cards.

Comments

• Posted By: Andrew MorrisInterestingly, a color match card triggers a toggle in the gameplay. It changes the game from pattern match to color match until someone knocks over the totem or another special card is flipped. So even if the color match card is covered, the game is still in color match mode. Having the color match end when it is covered is an optional rule for games with four or five players.
    I think we've determined that the actual rules text varies from set to set. Thus, different play styles will continue on this point, I think.
  • Does the rules text vary within the editions? Because, if all second edition sets have the same rules, it'd be pretty easy to decide that those are the current, valid rules and just run with them. It would at least make it easier to clear up confusion by saying something like, "We're playing second edition rules here, with X and Y optional rules."
  • The rules to Jungle Speed, like the petals of a flower, are delicate, beautiful and perfect.

That said, the key to winning the game is to knock over the totem when there are no cards out on the table.