Marvel Heroic RPG - Rules Questions...

Comments

• Questions:

How I use my Effect Die determine what reaction rolls are made.

So if I attack someone, they make a reaction roll to oppose me. But if I choose to help someone by making an Asset, the Watcher rolls the Doom Pool to oppose me.

But you can have multiple Effect Dice via Plot Points. If I attack multiple targets this way, they each make a reaction roll. What if I attack one person and help another?

Does that mean the defender makes a reaction roll and the Watcher also rolls the Doom Pool to oppose my help?
  • That makes sense to me.
  • Yes, that's how it works. Your opposition in each case is dependent on your intent. Doom pool is an opponent.

Cheers,
    Cam
  • Finally played the game yesterday! Some questions that arose:

If a character has Combat Mastery, is there anything preventing them from using it for every single roll when in combat, whether attacking or defending? Similarly, one of my players was using Iron Man. Is there anything preventing him from using "Cutting Edge Tech" + [power] + "Tech Master" for pretty much any roll he makes? I mean, other than if he was without his armor?

Both of these questions get at my players observing that they used pretty much the same dice combos every single time, and could see little reason to do otherwise.
  • edited March 2012
    Posted By: buzzIf a character has Combat Mastery, is there anything preventing them from using it for every single roll when in combat, whether attacking or defending? Similarly, one of my players was using Iron Man. Is there anything preventing him from using "Cutting Edge Tech" + [power] + "Tech Master" for pretty much any roll he makes? I mean, other than if he was without his armor?
    No. That's what they are good at and that is what the game seems to assume as the baseline.

You can, of course, look to put them in situations where they need to utilise their other abilities, and Iron man has a stack load of Power Shut Down Limits. Targetting Traits works too, but really these are the bread and butter aspects of the PC, so not using them is more remarkable than using them.

From a player's point of view, your decisions are not so much around how to form your core dice pool, which (thankfully as it helps speed up the game a lot) do form a pattern pretty quickly. It is on how to use the stuff around that core dice pool - SFX, PP, D4 Distinctions, Limits, Stress v Asset etc
  • I ran the game on Saturday for the first time (I wrote a report on UK Roleplayers), and two questions came up.

If the Action and Reaction totals are equal, what happens? We plumped for "Ties go to the PCs because they're awesome," but I'd like a definitive answer.

How long do Complications and Assets last? The game text says "Until the next roll or the end of the Conflict," but then doesn't define what a "Conflict" is. It seems a bit grating for the duration to be defined by GM fiat. For example, in the session on Saturday, Human Torch got clobbered by Nefaria and plunged into the river. I gave the Torch a d8 Complication of "Waterlogged" and the player promptly shut down his fire powers for a PP. In his next action, he got to shore. Should his Complication have gone away at that point, or should it continue to dog him for the rest of the scene (forcing him to spend an action to remove it before then)?

(The general conclusion from the session was that the scenario is a string of fights and the game seems heavily weighted towards supporting fights and other action scenes. There seems to be much less, if any, real support from the mechanics for more inter-personal or investigation type scenes. You need a lot of dice to have a reliable pool, and you can burn a lot of PP and table credibility bringing them in when you're outside an action scene.)
  • edited March 2012
    If the Action and Reaction totals are equal, what happens? We plumped for "Ties go to the PCs because they're awesome," but I'd like a definitive answer.

Attacker wins ties, p.OM50
  • Posted By: NeilHow long do Complications and Assets last?
    Assets last for 1 roll; you can make Assets last for the entire scene by spending a PP.

Complications last until the end of the scene; you can make them last until he end of the next Action scene by spending a PP. And you can target them, too, iirc.

FYI, I looked these up using John's cheat sheet. I'm finding referencing the book to be difficult.
  • Is there guidance for how the timing of Limits work?

E.g., I triggered Cap's Gear limit before I had a vilain take an action. The player found it goofy that I was effectively retconning that his shield hadn't returned when it was last thrown, and I agreed the timing was weird. Is it just a matter of staying in sync with the fiction? I.e., I should not have done anything to change what had already been established?
  • edited March 2012
    Posted By: buzzPosted By: NeilHow long do Complications and Assets last?
    Assets last for 1 roll; you can make Assets last for the entire scene by spending a PP.

Complications last until the end of the scene; you can make them last until he end of the next Action scene by spending a PP. And you can target them, too, iirc.

FYI, I looked these up using John's cheat sheet. I'm finding referencing the book to be difficult.

I don't think the cheat sheet's right. (I also have difficulty referencing the book.)
    Posted By: MHR Basic game, p. OM22Assets usually last until the end of the Scene.
    (Emphasis mine).
    Posted By: MHR Basic game, p. OM29complications ... usually go away once the situation is resolved.
    (Again, emphasis mine. "Situation" doesn't seem to be defined anywhere.)
    Posted By: MHR Basic game, p. OM29You can make an asset or complication last longer than a single roll or conflict by spending a Plot Point.
    (Again, "conflict" doesn't seem to be defined anywhere.)
    Posted By: Paul DrusselAttacker wins ties, p.OM50
    Thanks! I was looking around OM6, where it explains all about dice and rolling and things.
  • Nice page referencing, Neil!

Re-reading OM22-23, my take is that Asset (and possibly Complication) duration is partially based on the fiction. A "fastball special" is good for a roll, a "cloud of smoke" may linger for the scene.

And, to me, "conflict" = "Action scene". But I dunno.
  • Assets may last as long as the entire scene if that's the sort of asset they are, unlike one-shot types that are only effective once. If you want the asset to be more sticky, pay a PP and it's around until the end of the next scene.

Complications are around in a scene until removed or narratively irrelevant. They work a little like stress, but you can include both a stress die and a complication die in your roll for free if your opponent is hung up with them.

The narrative should be your big clue. Assets and complications may resolve before the end of the scene if and only if they were never intended to be appropriate past one dice roll. Otherwise yeah, they can linger.

By the way, I use situation as a word to describe what a scene is all about, the central conflict. You can have little conflicts in a single scene, of course.

Cheers,
    Cam
  • Posted By: jenskotThat's what I tried a few times and it felt flat in play (for the 3 different groups I tried it with). Especially since you can only use 1 Distinction (Scene or personal) per roll. Last game I had thespreading wild firestep up at the end of each round and it was very tense and emotionally pleasing for the players. I'm trying to find a way to recreate that feeling without hacking the game (yet).
    Have you considered treating hazards like watcher characters? Give it a couple distinctions, and power set with flame supremacy, special effects like area attack and berserk, and a physical stress track. I do a similiar thing in fate and it works pretty well. Fred posted a gist for it on the fate blog: It's on Fire. Is applying a "fractal" to the game hacking it?
  • Thanks, Cam! That's a great help.
  • Posted By: jjafullerPosted By: jenskotThat's what I tried a few times and it felt flat in play (for the 3 different groups I tried it with). Especially since you can only use 1 Distinction (Scene or personal) per roll. Last game I had thespreading wild firestep up at the end of each round and it was very tense and emotionally pleasing for the players. I'm trying to find a way to recreate that feeling without hacking the game (yet).
    Have you considered treating hazards like watcher characters? Give it a couple distinctions, and power set with flame supremacy, special effects like area attack and berserk, and a physical stress track. I do a similiar thing in fate and it works pretty well. Fred posted a gist for it on the fate blog:It's on Fire. Is applying a "fractal" to the game hacking it?
    Great idea!

You could make it a Specialty character (there are 5 types of Villains you can make - Major, Minor, Specialty, Mobs, Large-Scale Threat):

Specialty Villains have:
    - Affiliations of d4, d6, and d8
    - One Specialty at Rookie d6, Expert d8, or Master d10
    - May have one or more power traits, but not Power Sets

Fire:
    - Solo d8
    - Menace or Combat Master d10
    - Wild Fire d8/d10

Specialty character's level (Rookie, Expert or Master) determines how much stress of any type they can take before being stressed out. Rookies whose stress reaches d8, Experts whose stress reaches d10, and Masters whose stress reaches d12 are each stressed out.

There are also really amazing rules for Large-Scale Threats. They are built like full Villains but use the rules for Mobs. So Thanos or Apocalypse would have a normal datafile except they can have multiple dice in their Affiliation. Say 6d8 Solo. These act as Hit Points. You need to inflict D10 Stress to remove one of the Affiliation D8 dice. It makes it much less likely you will see a character of such importance get taken down in 1 punch. There's been ongoing jokes at various Marvel Launch parties about how easy Count Nefaria was to take out. Wait, you took him out in one hit to?

Count Nefaria is actually incredibly dangerous, if he gets to go first! Which leads me to a new question for a new post!
  • edited March 2012
    Question:

If I want to interrupt the Action Order, I know that I have to spend a d6 Doom Die or a die equal to the Hero's highest Sense or Reflex power.

But the text below mentions that if my Villain also has a Sense or Reflex power, it can offset the greater cost:
    page OM17 : Interrupt the Action Order with a Watcher Character

In any Action Scene, the order in which the characters—heroes, villains, and others—act is fluid and passes from player to player, and occasionally to you as Watcher. If you want to interrupt the action order and have one of your characters, such as a villain or an angry mob of thugs, act before the next hero, you need to spend a doom die. The default spend is a d6, although heroes with Enhanced,

Superhuman, or Godlike Reflexes (or Senses, in some cases) require you to spend a larger die (d8, d10, or d12, respectively). If your character has Reflexes or Senses of his own, it can offset this greater cost. For more on action order see page OM35.
    My questions is: "How does a Villain's Sense or Reflex power offset the cost for interrupting the Action Order?"

I jumped to:
    page OM36 : If you’re the Watcher and you want one of your own characters to go first, you need to spend doom to do it. It costs at least a d6 doom die—if there’s a hero at the table with Enhanced, Superhuman, or Godlike Senses or Reflexes and you don’t have a character with Senses or Reflexes of that die rating, you need to match either their Senses or Reflexes die with a doom die of the same size. Whether it’s Senses or Reflexes depends on the framing of the Scene; typically, surprise attacks, ambushes, and sudden arrivals hinge on Senses, while a sudden attack from a foe that’s already present and engaged with the heroes would be Reflexes.
    page OM37 : INTERRUPTING THE ACTION ORDER

As the Watcher, you can interrupt the action order at any point using doom dice. If a player chooses another player to go, you can spend a die out of the doom pool to have one of your characters act before that next player. Just like the use of doom dice to seize the control of the first Panel in the action order, you have to spend at least a d6 to do this. If the interrupted player has a hero with Enhanced or greater Reflexes or Senses, you have to match that with your Watcher character’s own powers or spend a larger die.
    Are these scenarios correct:

- Villain AND Hero have no Sense/Reflex powers. Villain spends d6 Doom Die to interrupt Action Order.

- Villain has no Sense/Reflex powers BUT Hero does. Villain spends a Doom Die equal to the Hero's Sense/Reflex powers to interrupt Action Order.

- Villain has Sense/Reflex powers EQUAL to the Hero's. Villain spends d6 Doom Die to interrupt Action Order.

- Villain has Sense/Reflex powers GREATER than the Hero's. Villain spends d6 Doom Die to interrupt Action Order.

What about:

- Villain has Sense/Reflex powers at d8. Hero has Sense/Reflex powers at d10. Villain spends d10 Doom Die to interrupt Action Order.

Does my Villain's Sense/Reflex powers only matter if they are equal or greater than the Hero's?
  • Hi John,

The intent in that situation was to have the Watcher's steps in a Sense or Reflexes power negate steps in a hero's Sense or Reflex power. d6 doom is the minimum you have to spend out of the doom pool. For each step of a the hero's Sense or Reflex power, your villain has to match it with a step in Sense or Reflexes. In your example, the villain has met one of the hero's two steps (d8/d10) with his d8, but not enough to bring it down to a d6. So the Watcher needs to spend a d8 out of the doom pool.

Cheers,
    Cam
  • edited March 2012
    Cam, that seems to contradict the text John quoted from OM36-37. E.g., "If the interrupted player has a hero with Enhanced or greater Reflexes or Senses, you have to match that with your Watcher character’s own powers or spend a larger die."

I mean, you wrote the game, so if you say it's about steps, it's about steps. :) I'm just saying the text makes it sound like an either/or; either the villain can match the hero, so the Watchers spends a d6, or they can't, and the Watcher spends d[Hero's senses].
  • Okay, I got a bit of a question, which came up when I ran Marvel at the demo event at Rainy Day Games.
    The player who took Iron Man was able to reboot the Raft's security cameras and diagnostic computers by powering them with his suit, and noticed that he was about to get a visit from the Living Laser and Chemistro.
    He decides he wants to hold his action, so that the first baddie who walks into the security office gets a repulsor blast to the face. I was thinking the player should spend a Plot Point to treat it as a Stunt and to have him roll right away, but it also seemed odd to say that he needed to spend the PP when he had an advantage. In the end, we treated it as creating an Asset...which I, at the time, allowed the player to hold as the "plot point" needed to interrupt Living Laser as he burst into the room.
    Overall, though, it felt a bit forced. I probably should've stuck to my guns and insisted on the Stunt. But is there a better way to treat this situation?
  • Posted By: jenskotThere are also really amazing rules for Large-Scale Threats. They are built like full Villains but use the rules for Mobs. So Thanos or Apocalypse would have a normal datafile except they can have multiple dice in their Affiliation. Say 6d8 Solo.
    Wait! I just figured out how to take down Thanos!

He might have 6d8 Solo, but I bet he has 3d6 Buddy, 1d4 Team! That's why he always gets pwned the more people he recruits!

To defeat Thanos, you just have to join his side!

(Also, Galactus is clearly 10d10 Team Of People I Own, 8d8 My Buddy Norrid Radd, 1d4 Solo Against Goddamn Humans)
  • Love it!
  • How to do Knockback & Chases:

http://atminn.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/marvel-heroic-roleplaying-knockback-chases/

I should note that Assets are not used here rules as written as they only last for 1 roll unless you spend a Plot Point. But I think these ideas are neat!
  • Posted By: stupidgremlinOkay, I got a bit of a question, which came up when I ran Marvel at the demo event at Rainy Day Games.
    The player who took Iron Man was able to reboot the Raft's security cameras and diagnostic computers by powering them with his suit, and noticed that he was about to get a visit from the Living Laser and Chemistro.
    He decides he wants to hold his action, so that the first baddie who walks into the security office gets a repulsor blast to the face. I was thinking the player should spend a Plot Point to treat it as a Stunt and to have him roll right away, but it also seemed odd to say that he needed to spend the PP when he had an advantage. In the end, we treated it as creating an Asset...which I, at the time, allowed the player to hold as the "plot point" needed to interrupt Living Laser as he burst into the room.
    Overall, though, it felt a bit forced. I probably should've stuck to my guns and insisted on the Stunt. But is there a better way to treat this situation?
    Players don't interrupt, they always get to go first in the action order. If Iron Man wanted to create an ambush asset he could totally do that, just roll against the doom pool in the transition scene you were in. Then, when Living Laser stepped in, it would start an action scene. Since IM established an ambush it would make the most sense for him to go first.
  • Posted By: jjafuller...it would start an action scene.
    What if Iron Man was already technically in an Action Scene, though? Say, if he had just been using the security system to create some Complications to bugger up some minor villains, and then noticed he was going to have some high-powered company pretty soon? Just end his previous Action Scene and start another?
  • Posted By: stupidgremlinWhat if Iron Man was already technically in an Action Scene, though? Say, if he had just been using the security system to create some Complications to bugger up some minor villains, and then noticed he was going to have some high-powered company pretty soon? Just end his previous Action Scene and start another?
    If you're already in an Action scene, you'd be acting in order, correct? If Iron Man used his turn in the order to set up the ambush, he'd then choose who went next; if we were at the end of the order, he could choose himself. Otherwise, the ambush asset would add to his reaction roll, which then could possibly be a) high enough to beat the villains, and b) generate effect dice he could then pay a PP to use against the villains.
  • @stupidgremlin

Okay, there's a lot of swing in Marvel Heroic, so there's also going to be a lot of "This is how I would run it", but yeah, this is how I would run that...

First question: did you have the player roll against the Doom Pool to re-establish the security system?

If so, then the effect dice from his roll should have gone into creating an Asset for himself. Something like "Jacked In" or "Aware" would have been perfect. One of the things with MH is that there is no such thing as a flat roll. Every time a player picks up the dice he is creating something, whether that's Stress, an Asset for himself or a Complication for another player. There should never be a roll in the game that does not either create new information or alter information already on the table.

Next up: Was it Iron Man's turn, or one of the Villains?

The way you've presented it, Iron Man's hooked into the security systems, monitoring everything. He sees Living Laser and Chemistro coming down the hall to the security room. I'm guessing that the previous player has already "tagged" Tony and it's his turn to act. If so, and his player says "I wait for them to run in and then blast them both in the face with white-hot repulsor!", then he gets nothing additional.

In this case, you've already telegraphed that Living Laser and Chemistro are coming through that door. If Iron Man took no action, they would still come through that door. Iron Man waiting until they walk in is just color, and pitch perfect superhero comics color if I do say so. The player could have also said that he "blasts through the door, striking the villains on the other side with repulsor blasts!" or "flies through the door, shattering it, as he zooms fists-first into Chemistro!" and it would have fit just as well.

Instead of using his action to attack, a player can use it to create an asset for himself. In this case he could go for something like "Aware" from the security systems, or "Hidden" or something like that, but he has to take the action and roll the dice to get the asset. Or, if he really wants some extra dice and also wants to go this turn, he could go for a push die or stunt off of "Tech Master" instead.

If it's the bad guys' turn then it's a different can of worms entirely. So, Living Laser bursts in, arcing energy all over the damned place. Tony puts together a completely awesome Reaction pool (minimum of 3d10 1d8), stunts in a d8 off of the security system with Tech Master (possibly stepped up to a d10 if LL rolled an opportunity), then throws a plot point into his effect dice to do stress. It's a bit of a risk, but the reward of damaging on a reaction roll is so sweet.

Ultimately, what I'm saying is that there's no such thing as "holding an action" in MH. Everything in MH is resolved by doing. If a player says he waits for the villain to open the door and blasts him in the face, then that's what he's doing. If he wants extra dice for that though, he's got to roll dice or spend plot points. The dice/PP/action economy is awesome as long as you don't ignore it. The adage from Apocalypse World works well here: "If you say you do it, do it". If a player wants an asset, he needs to use an action and roll the dice. If he wants a stunt, he spends the PP.
  • @MPOSullivan

Yeah, Iron Man rolled against the Doom Pool to reactivate the security systems, and spent a Plot Point to create a longer-term Asset called "SHIELD Access" or something like that, so the other Heroes could take advantage of it.

At the time of this incident, it was Iron Man's turn. So you are probably right in that I should've just had him roll to blast the first villain (or both), and narratively called it "waiting for them to walk into Iron Man's line o' fire."

Conceptually, MHRP is really pretty simple...but I must first unlearn what I have learned. If I had tried to imagine this from the standpoint of a comic book, rather than an RPG, I probably wouldn't have had this hiccup in the first place. I was looking at it too linearly, thinking "well, subject B and C first need to get to point Z in order for subject A to do...blah blah blah," when instead I should be thinking "and then POW, B and C get blasted by A as they turn the corner."
  • edited March 2012
    Posted By: stupidgremlinIf I had tried to imagine this from the standpoint of a comic book, rather than an RPG, I probably wouldn't have had this hiccup in the first place.
    We've had a few players say the same thing! I just hope non-gamer comic book fans get their hands on this game! Although I'm worried that the game text may be difficult for non-gamers.
  • Posted By: jenskotAlthough I'm worried that the game text may be difficult for non-gamers.
    I found the book very readable on my first pass; the basic concepts sunk in pretty well. It's going back and referencing things later where it really falls down. I think almost every element of the game is split into at least two different sections.
  • edited March 2012
    Good points!

My usability testing side wants to give the book to comic fans and record their sessions to see what happens!
  • Posted By: buzz
    It's going back and referencing things later where it really falls down. I think almost every element of the game is split into at least two different sections.
    Yes. I was mentioning this in the other thread, but a good SRD would help immensely. The reference sheets are great and all for once you have a good handle on the game, but maybe a 10-page document that really outlines how things flow, how you put together a dice pool, descriptions of powers and specialties, plot points and milestones, etc., would be invaluable for teaching the game.
  • One of my players said they really wanted to see a comprehensive example of play, with all options present. I wholeheartedly agree.

Sounds like a job for some dedicated fans...
  • An official example of play is in approval with Marvel right now. We'll make it available as soon as that's done.

If we need better cheat sheets or more examples, we can do that. We won't be producing or endorsing an SRD at this stage (there are certain legal/licensing reasons why not) but I hope to get things moving on Heroic Roleplaying third party and fan support later in the year.

Cheers,
    Cam
  • Posted By: CamBanksHeroic Roleplaying third party and fan support
    This sounds really exciting! Especially 3rd Party Support!
  • I am all about the exciting. :)

Cheers,
    Cam
  • Hrms, no example of play in the core rules? That's a bummer. I've two copies of the books on order, but am waiting patiently.
    (PDF's are cool, but I'm a usually a better book learner, I need to flip through a physical book sometimes to absorb material the best.)
  • There are lots of examples in the core book, just not one single 3 or 4 page one.

Cheers,
    Cam
  • Posted By: CamBanksAn official example of play is in approval with Marvel right now. We'll make it available as soon as that's done.
    Fantastic!
    Posted By: CamBanks...I hope to get things moving on Heroic Roleplaying third party and fan support later in the year.
    Double Fantastic! I think the Heroic Roleplaying engine will prove very fruitful. I can see it serving as the basis for much hacking and future non-Marvel products.
  • Posted By: buzzIs there guidance for how the timing of Limits work?

E.g., I triggered Cap's Gear limit before I had a vilain take an action. The player found it goofy that I was effectively retconning that his shield hadn't returned when it was last thrown, and I agreed the timing was weird. Is it just a matter of staying in sync with the fiction? I.e., I should not have done anything to change what had already been established?
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?
  • In a discussion, and I don't have access to the pdf at the moment.

Q: When you step up an effect die past d12, can you do d12+ damage to a stress track and stress someone out in one shot? I was under the impression that once you stepped up a die past d12 you got new effect dice, but no effect die could be more than d12?
  • Jeffrey: Yes, you can explicitly stress someone out in a single shot by stepping up the effect die past d12. I think it's in there to accurately represent the stuff that the Thing, Colossus, or Professor X can do in terms to taking people out with one punch / mind blast.
  • Couple more questions:

1. Can you accumulate trauma in the scene you first became stressed out?

2. Can the watcher spent all the doom dice?
  • 1) Yes. if you are Stressed Out, you get D6 Trauma. Additional damage increases Trauma as set out in the rulebook.

2) Sure, but its not the smartest Watcher move. The flurry of PC attempts to exploit the situation will no doubt generate opportunities to replenish it.
  • Can you use another character's Distinctions in your dice pool?

E.g., the Purple Man has the Distinction, "Hard to Miss". Could a player use that to say that it's easier to target him with their energy blast?

And, heck, are characters' Distinctions public knowledge? Or do they need to be discovered in some way?
  • Normally not. But all PC and NPC stats are public knowledge.
  • Ran another session of "Breakout" Act 1 on Saturday. More questions...

1. A player rolls against the Doom Pool. They roll their action, and there some 1s/Opportunities in the result. The Watcher pays some PP to activate those Opportunities to add/upgrade dice to the Doom Pool. Can these added dice then be used for the Doom Pool reaction roll the Watcher is making in response to the action that resulted in the added dice? That's how I played it.

2. The Watcher rolls a reaction and generates some Opportunities. My understanding is that the player can't do anything with those Opportunities at that moment, but they can "carry them over" to their next action roll and get the stepped up push/stunt/asset or resource if they choose to spend the PP. Is that correct? This came up a lot, and had me wishing I had some sort of token to represent these "reserved" Opportunities.

3. If the Watcher rolls multiple Opportunities, does that mean a player can use them to step up a push/stunt/asset multiple times? E..g., three Opportunities means the player can pay PP to add a d12 push die to their roll? If so, what's the PP cost? Or are all the Opportunities kept separate? E.g., they could buy one for a stepped up push die, another for a stepped up stunt, and another for a resource.

4. How do you handle an action that doesn't create anything that can easily be represented by an asset or complication? E.g., in our session, Spidey was trying to grab Lykos' body away from Electro. What happens if Spidey wins? He now has possession of Lykos, but what do we do with his effect die? Or is everything in MHRP an asset, complication, distinction or resource?
  • edited March 2012
    My opinions...
    Posted By: buzz1. A player rolls against the Doom Pool. They roll their action, and there some 1s/Opportunities in the result. The Watcher pays some PP to activate those Opportunities to add/upgrade dice to the Doom Pool. Can these added dice then be used for the Doom Pool reaction roll the Watcher is making in response to the action that resulted in the added dice? That's how I played it.
    You may roll these added dice as part of your Doom Pool reaction roll. This is the advantage the reaction player has (where the acting player wins ties). This applies to anyone, not just the Watcher.
    Posted By: buzz2. The Watcher rolls a reaction and generates some Opportunities. My understanding is that the player can't do anything with those Opportunities at that moment, but they can "carry them over" to their next action roll and get the stepped up push/stunt/asset or resource if they choose to spend the PP. Is that correct? This came up a lot, and had me wishing I had some sort of token to represent these "reserved" Opportunities.
    If the Watcher is the acting player and rolls an Opportunity, the player may use those Opportunities in their reaction roll. It's a similar situation as question 1 above.

If the Watcher rolls Opportunities as part of a reaction roll, then the player can buy BUT not immediately use those Opportunities.

It all comes down to timing.

Reaction rolls happen after the acting player rolls, not at the same time.
    Posted By: buzz3. If the Watcher rolls multiple Opportunities, does that mean a player can use them to step up a push/stunt/asset multiple times? E..g., three Opportunities means the player can pay PP to add a d12 push die to their roll? If so, what's the PP cost? Or are all the Opportunities kept separate? E.g., they could buy one for a stepped up push die, another for a stepped up stunt, and another for a resource.
    Edit: I'm not sure. I'll have to check the book.
    Posted By: buzz4. How do you handle an action that doesn't create anything that can easily be represented by an asset or complication? E.g., in our session, Spidey was trying to grab Lykos' body away from Electro. What happens if Spidey wins? He now has possession of Lykos, but what do we do with his effect die? Or is everything in MHRP an asset, complication, distinction or resource?
    I have opinions but I would love to hear what other people think.

In my case, typically I will give myself an Asset or give my opposition a Complication.
  • 1. Yes. You do the action roll first. If this increases Doom Pool, the reaction roll will be bigger.

2. Yes. The use of Opportunities is meant to be linked to the next roll. If you activate Opportunities on a reaction, then the benefit would be to your next roll.

3. The rules suggest that you can spend 1 PP to do one thing, but I don't see an issue with multiple expenditures. Note however that the Push/Stunt option isn't to step up but just make it d8/d10. As such, I don't think it stacks.

4. How would you do it in a normal RPG? If he tries to snatch Lykos' body and Electro resists with a reaction roll, and Spidey wins, Spidey snatches Lykos' body IMO. If Spidey then went and hid Lykos' body or did something to make it harder for Electro to snatch him back, then that would be a Asset/Complication.
  • edited March 2012
    Posted By: Skywalker4. How would you do it in a normal RPG?
    This is no normal RPG! :)

Thanks for the feedback, John and Luke.