[Names Project II] New Names

Hey, Dev is doing the heavy lifting on re-licensing the Story Games Name Project to make it more usable, hooray!

Let's start building new lists to add to the CC-A archive. The rules:

1. Original or openly sourced, attributed content. If you're borrowing particularly from existing sources, please do mention those, both for crediting and so that we can be sure of the provenance of the submitted materials (and that everything is legit from a CC standpoint).
2. CC-A licensed.
3. Divided into lists of 20 items. For real-world names include at a minimum a list of surnames, male names, and female names.
4. All bundled into a simple text file, which you can link to in this thread. If you lack the ability to host files whisper me.

So they end up looking like this or, if you are some kind of brainiac about a particular culture's onomastics, this.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Clarification: Yes, we'll use the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) license. Let me know if I should clarify its implications, but it seems to place few conditions upon use of such content.

Also: if you're borrowing particularly from existing sources, please do mention those, both for crediting and so that we can be sure of the provenance of the submitted materials (and that everything is legit from a CC standpoint). Thanks!

Edit: Links to the existing files: files for SGNP (just text).
  • edited March 2012
    Nevermind this post.
  • I missed out on the first round, so I don't know what we've already got. Is there somewhere I can find the existing names? In non-pdf (my phone isn't equipped to read pdf)?
  • edited March 2012
    Blues Musician Names

Now I want to run a blues-themed campaign of Apocalypse World.
  • Posted By: Marshall BurnsI missed out on the first round, so I don't know what we've already got. Is there somewhere I can find the existing names? In non-pdf (my phone isn't equipped to read pdf)?
    I don't think so, but you can see the names of the different PDFs here without opening a PDF: the index. So you can see that there already is a list of Maori names and a list of biker names, for example, even though you won't be able to open them and find out which Maori and biker names there are.
  • edited March 2012
    Ack, I went back and looked at my Japanese file in that directory: Since then, my finalized version was so, so much better and complete (including a list of "20 things you would find in a modern Japanese vending machine"). I'll see if I can dig up the original text from that one, as it will be the bases for my new Japanese names.

Oh, and folks who are interested: I'm a huge culture and context nerd. Names are cool and all, but what is also helpful is a springboard of cultural concepts or ideas as well, a list of things you can lightly use as a player in-game, or research further on your own. I forget the ones (I think I had Food and Vending Machines) for Japan, but check out the Egyptian one, the very last chart. That's what I'm talking about. I'd love to see more of those.

http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/projects/names/egyptian.pdf
  • Hm. I've got a bunch of names pulled from local census and burial records from when my mom was on a genealogy kick, but I suspect they're mostly covered in the cowboy names.
  • I'm really proud of my Aztec and Tlingit lists, because of the extra contextual goodness Andy's talking about.
  • Stuff I have finished but not formatted:

American Southern
    Fort Smith Murderers and Victims, 1875-1895
    Apache
    Bangla
    Bontoc Igorot
    DOD and NSA Code names
    High Mountain Fantasy
    Laotian
    Quechua
    Fantasy Slavic
    Vietnamese
  • I compiled this list of pre-christian Slovene names and supernatural beings. Might go well with Jason's Fantasy Slavic list. I want to add more contextual stuff but I'm not sure what.
    click

I could also do modern Slovene names but that just sounds boring.
  • Edited my post above to include links to all the existing name lists.
  • Posted By: TeataineI could also do modern Slovene names but that just sounds boring.
    I hope you do. Bits are cheap and somebody will need exactly that list, trust me. More is better, especially with tools like Abulafia that can remix multiple lists into, for example, a "European name generator".
  • edited March 2012
  • I updated the Hungarian list.

I removed the aristocratic names as I'll probably do Austria-Hungary next.
  • any interest for a list of names for asian americans be of any use for y'all? It would be a series of fairly typical "american" first names, and typical "asian" family names.

ie...I'd plunder my facebook account (as an asian american and as someone who went to uc berkeley)
  • Posted By: aaarg_inkany interest for a list of names for asian americans be of any use for y'all? It would be a series of fairly typical "american" first names, and typical "asian" family names.

ie...I'd plunder my facebook account (as an asian american and as someone who went to uc berkeley)
    I hope you do. Bits are cheap and somebody will need exactly that list, trust me. More is better, especially with tools like Abulafia that can remix multiple lists into, for example, a "North American name generator".
  • Justus, that sounds cool. I attempted something similar with the "HK pop-stars" name list I included in the original volume ("Jackie Lam!" "Myron Chang!"), but it could definitely be much, much better.
  • I have two lists for you. Superheroes in the public domain and names inspired by A Midsummer Night's Dream. The latter isn't names from the play so much as material to create additional sequels, side works and new characters for the play (as I assume that anyone can google a list of characters from the play easily enough).
  • edited March 2012
    Here's lists I made to generate ghoul names for a computer game I never finished. They work equally well to generate demon names a la The Screwtape Letters (well, "toad" and "pipe" are missing, but, hell, I could go on forever with these).

I could compile a list of inactive professional wrestler names. Technically they're all trademarks, though; would that be a problem?
  • edited March 2012
    Guys, put your name and a link to the license in your text files, OK? Like:

OBSOLETE TELEVISION MANUFACTURERS
    Compiled by Ned Dornthant

[LISTS]

This file is licensed Create Commons-Attribution, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

That way it can be properly used and attributed, no matter where it is carried on the winds of the Internet.
  • Good idea, Jason - I was saying to Dev that the clearer the licensing is, the firmer legal ground we're on. However, I suggest using Creative Commons' official licensing text:

"This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA."

It's not a big deal either way, but we might as well do it by the book.
  • All the new lists mentioned in this thread are temporarily living here.
  • So, who am I to send my lists to and how would ya like 'em?
  • Posted By: Jason Morningstar4. All bundled into a simple text file, which you can link to in this thread. If you lack the ability to host files whisper me.
  • I added those excellent lists to the temporary new names archive, Rachel. I challenge someone to sue all five of those to build a setting for a game! I'd play it.
  • I dug out and formatted this list of wizarding names that I was preparing for and abandoned game. It's kinda empty though.
  • Would anyone ever use French Canadian names? They are a bit different from the existing French name list, but I honestly don't know if anyone has _needed_ them.
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarI hope you do. Bits are cheap and somebody will need exactly that list, trust me. More is better, especially with tools like Abulafia that can remix multiple lists into, for example, a "Canadian name generator".
  • Point taken! Submitting tonight.
  • Here you go! French Canadian Names right here.

Jason
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarPosted By: Jason MorningstarI hope you do. Bits are cheap and somebody will need exactly that list, trust me. More is better, especially with tools like Abulafia that can remix multiple lists into, for example, a "Canadian name generator".

http://www.random-generator.com/index.php?title=Medieval_Encounter

This has several hundred professions, and motivations, it has over 1,500 discreet entries.

It is a bit awkward working only 25% of the time.

But feel free to use any of it if you like.

Thanks,
    Snake_Eyes
  • Posted By: Snake_Eyes

I can't tell if this is success or failure:
    Quality Herbs West Wild Fruit Assassination Attempt
  • Posted By: Simon CPosted By: Snake_Eyes

I can't tell if this is success or failure:

Quality Herbs West Wild Fruit Assassination Attempt

Probably as good as it is going to get at the moment I have been working on other projects this last week.

But if you open it up with the "edit" button you will get some lists.

The motivation is the next aspect that needs cleaning up between sentient animals and human motivations, should be done next week.

It is for my source book, not the script, just the lists of events, motivations, and professions.

But thank you very much for looking at the program,

Cheers
    Snake_Eyes
  • I can't see most of the lists linked here through the firewall at work, but I did Alabamans below the poverty line 2008-2012 and might be able to do more like it for a few other US states. Does that look like a correct/useful format?
  • Dev, what's the best format for these? I used that column structure because it saves visual space but it's been pointed out that it might be difficult to parse by automation. Should I just string that out into a long-ass single column?
  • I still cannot believe there's no Victorian or Steampunk in the original. Remedied!

Victorian Era Names (and fast food)
    Steampunk

-Rachel
  • https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4jje29tJgGQUGtEenZXY3FSeFNac2VHeGJXODFXUQ/edit

This has a lot of parts to the random encounter table I am using for my RPG, mind you it is horribly out of date, and needs some major revision.

If anyone wants an updated list, feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
    :) Snake_Eyes