The weird object

edited March 2012 in Make Stuff!
Hey, look at this thing I found. I find its angles and grainy surface so weird.

What do you suppose it is?

Comments

• My wooden eye.
  • It's a 3-d chess board.
  • (New Principle Added to the Game: Segue Your Response Into A New Question.)
  • It could be a Relic! What did your psychic powers tell you about it?
  • My object-reading is just giving me strange glimpses of past conflicts and flashes of thoughts from famous leaders across history (and possibly several alternate histories, it's quite jumbled). What I want to know though is, how come everyone is seeing this thing differently?
  • edited March 2012
    It was made by a mechanistic, inscrutable god ages beyond ages ago. Hey, what do these runes on it say?

(x-posted, but my post probably still works)
  • It's starting to become clear to me, piecing together all of these responses. Some of us see a wooden eye, others a piece from chess, yet others a rune-catcher. Clearly, Stephen and Hans both have some sort of psio-historical link to it, though it seems to be saying different things to each of them.

What confuses me is why it's here, and why we stumbled across it. Does anyone know?
  • edited March 2012
    I'm not sure it is here, relatively speaking. It's more like while you look at it you are THERE. What we see seems to be determined by our precise temporal and spatial relationship to it when we see it.

As to why it's here, or THERE actually, I'd say it's a message, probably one that will take putting together multiple perceptions of the object to decipher. I don't think it was a message we were ever meant to see, and our brains are just applying familiar analogs to what amounts to a completely alien form of communication.

Seeing this message may be like tugging at a string in a sweater, eventually unraveling everything. There are some things we're not meant to know. How can we contain this message or whatever it is?

"Are you really going to look upon the face of Oz the Terrible?"
  • (New Principle: Keep Your Posts Under Eighty Words.)
  • Better to look, and hope to deal with the truth, than to wait in ignorance for the secrets of its birthplace to consume us. From whence has it come?
  • So that's were it is! Could you be a dear and pop it in an envelope? I'll paypal you the S&P charges. Cheers!
  • I think it is a creative agenda that has come to life. What creative agenda do you think it is? Maybe a new creative agenda?

I think HPL would have destroyed the thing immediately.
  • It is the bone of a long extinct creature that pre-historic primates worshiped.

Technically, bone isn't the right word but we don't have the vocabulary to describe this thing's anatomy.
  • It's a gazebo.
  • Normally, crystals don't grow in that configuration. Interesting!
  • The only psionic energy I'm reading is that of the past. As for the present, the device seems... well, if it's a bone, it'd have some latent psionic energy from the creature it was attached to, but there is none. Maybe it's less a bone, and more a part. Perhaps... artificial life?
  • edited March 2012
    It is one of god's dice that apparently metaphorically rolled under a couch and was forgotten about.

What happens if you roll it?
  • (Old Principle Remind'd!: Segue Your Response Into A New Question.)
  • edited March 2012
    (Option: Have Your Character Take Action and Do Stuff)
  • Posted By: C. Edwards
    Seeing this message may be like tugging at a string in a sweater, eventually unraveling everything. There are some things we're not meant to know. How can we contain this message or whatever it is?
    Posted By: David BergBetter to look, and hope to deal with the truth, than to wait in ignorance for the secrets of its birthplace to consume us. From whence has it come?
    It's hard to know which one of you to listen to! Chris, you're right, this thing could be dangerous. Containing its dark secrets might be wise. But on the other hand, David's right. What we don't know can still hurt us, and we can't delay the truth forever.

Perhaps we should seek out an expert in these matters, someone who can better explain this thing to us!
    Who would that expert be, and where do they live?
  • Records indicate that Mr. Yevchenko worked on using high-energy particles to transmit coded information for the Soviets back in the '80s. He might be able to advise on safe decryption, if the wardens at Clover Asylum will let you speak to him. However, they are stern researchers, answerable to no one but the mysterious agency that funds them. How will you persuade them to admit you?
  • "Persuading" people is easy when you have psychic powers. And if demons are attracted to the site by the forbidden use of mind manipulation, well hey, it's not my asylum.

What I want to know is why won't this guy respond to anything I say?