- RPGs can change the world, says Norway's new Minister of International Development

edited March 2012 in Story Games
http://imagonem.org/2012/03/27/larps-can-change-the-world/

"- LARPs can change the world

At least according to Norway’s new Minister of International Development, Heikki Holmås.

- I started playing with Ian Livingstone’s The Forest of Doom when I was 15, the minister from western Norway says.

From the series of Fighting Fantasy books, the leap wasn’t long to Dungeons & Dragons. (...)"

Comments

• What a great find, thanks Ole! It's nice to see people talk so warmly about the value of role-playing.
  • We apparently need to encourage our young geeks to grow up to be in politics or the state department. (Alexis--I'm looking at you!) But the experiences he seems to have had make the application of role play have a different feel, than he might have had growing up with games in the US:
    I don’t know all the details, but there’s no doubt that you can put Israelis into the situation of the Palestinians and vice versa in a way that fosters understanding and builds bridges. Those things are an important aspect of role playing games which makes it possible to use them politically to create change.
  • edited March 2012
    Why did my goddamn ancestors ever have to leave. Selfish pricks.
  • Posted By: Hans c-oWhy did my goddamn ancestors ever have to leave. Selfish pricks.
    In retrospect, they weren't smart.