Twitter and talking about gaming?

RyRy
edited March 2012 in Forum Discussion
So... I think I'd like to use twitter sometimes. I have a short attention span for reading during the day, lots of little interruptions, and I have this impression that on Twitter that's OK.

I also LOVE creating things with really small word counts, and but I don't know how to find those Make Stuff hashtags.

How do you use twitter for chatting about roleplaying games? How should I use it?

Comments

• I'm pretty new to twitter. I basically followed all the game designers whose work I enjoy and, more slowly, the people on forums like this one who say interesting things. I've ended up viewing it as a group chat room filled with only people I want to chat with.
  • The same way I post on forums, I just yell at people for no reason and point at things.
  • Twitter is fun and cute, but maddening in English.

What JD said: I use it a lot to point at things, and read it to have things pointed out to me. Cool news articles, promo stuff and the like, mostly.

When people have conversations on Twitter that lasts more than like two tweets, though, it's aggravating to follow. I usually give up quickly.

-Andy
  • edited March 2012
    Twitter is a useless pile of shit. It should not be used for any reason.
  • "We're playing Monsterhearts. I am the Mortal. This won't end well."

That's the level I post at. I just report what I'm playing, generally enthusiastically.
  • Posted By: mease19I basically followed all the game designers whose work I enjoy and, more slowly, the people on forums like this one who say interesting things. I've ended up viewing it as a group chat room filled with only people I want to chat with.
    This is mostly true for me (but I follow more than just game-people). I use it to throw out thoughts I think are interesting and provocative (often about games) and a lot of the time I get into conversations, either about my thoughts or someone else's. I like multiple-reply conversations, unlike Andy. Sometimes twit convos lead to email convos with people I haven't had real conversations with before.

I really like twitter.
  • I use it as a new feed but I rarely reply via Twitter.
  • I'm commander shepard and twitter is my favourite social media platform on the internet.
  • Posted By: RyHow do you use twitter for chatting about roleplaying games? How should I use it?
    "You're in a labyrinth. Exits are: cowardly retreat, deeper into the madness. #choosenow"
    ...and see if anyone bites.

"woah woah woah: d&d4e on a chess board, the monsters are chess pieces & obey those movements."
    ...and maybe a discussion happens.

"@Hans_Otterson playtested Keep It Sunny last night! Hilarity and offensive stupidity ensued!"
    ...and that's mostly for your own benefit.

"Looking for 2player game, alternating GM, focus on playing opposed politicians or tacticians, asynchronous warfare/debate. Any?"
    ...and people go back and forth talking about games.

The nicest thing about Twitter is that you can fuck around and see what catches on.
    Games and experiments are often short-lived.
  • Posted By: Mcdaldno
    The nicest thing about Twitter is that you can fuck around and see what catches on.
    Yeah, I love it for this.
  • Posted By: Hans c-oPosted By: Mcdaldno
    Yeah, I love it for this.

Like, today I decided to tweet a bunch of weird story snippets about some kind of apocalyptic, tech-animist world.
    Ben Lehman decided to engage one of those snippets, and is now navigating a "labyrinth allegory." lol
    A few others have favourited some of the tweets, but otherwise I'm just fucking around for my own amusement.

(I'm @mcdaldno, btw)
  • Posted By: WordmanTwitter is a useless pile of shit. It should not be used for any reason.
    lol, no
  • Posted By: McdaldnoLike, today I decided to tweet a bunch of weird story snippets about some kind of apocalyptic, tech-animist world.
    Which rocked. I read a couple of my favorites out loud to my wife. You got a lot of fiction into 140, Joe.

My experience is that Twitter is a medium mostly for broad strokes. If you're not expecting nuance, it's fine. Nietzsche's "philosophizing with an axe", yes. Wittgensteinian hair-splitting, no.
  • I don't engage with social networking stuff that terribly much in general, but I definitely post to Twitter quite a bit more than Facebook or G+ or, uh, Story Games, for that matter. I mostly follow folks that I know or have met in person, and that definitely colors my use of it - I point to interesting stuff, post funny pictures, mention stuff that I think will be of interest, etc. Also, because of who I'm following and am followed by, I tend to think of Twitter as the place where I have conversations about games, whereas Facebook is a much more general audience.