[Danger Patol] Arkham Patrol !

edited April 2012 in Make Stuff!

...just a first draft of a hack, inspired by our translation of Danger Patrol (in french sorry).

Any ideas for a Hack like this ?

Comments

• no one ? really ?
  • I love to see hacks of my games! (translations, too)
  • Thanks John. DP has more and more fanatics here, and i've already got 3 AP in french. .

Ah, and we are talking about the translation of DP in the french magazine "JDR-mag" this month (in case you'd want a copy) with art from Nate Marcel
  • It's... er... I liked the title? I think your reply base here is limited due to the overwhelming Frenchiness of the post. I love Danger Patrol and would like to know about your hack. Is it Arkham as in Lovecraft Arkham?
  • Would love to see a Cthulhu version of Danger Patrol, would help if I could read it too! :)
  • edited April 2012
    Posted By: BlazmoIntoWoweeIt's... er... I liked the title? I think your reply base here is limited due to the overwhelming Frenchiness of the post. I love Danger Patrol and would like to know about your hack. Is it Arkham as in Lovecraft Arkham?
    yes it is sir, but it's not mine.

Sorry the "frenchiness", it's just that there's a growing base of DP fan here, as i explained, who are discovering our translation and try to push the game towards others directions. This is one of them ,just the begining surely

Posted By: Murgh BpurnWould love to see a Cthulhu version of Danger Patrol, would help if I could read it too! :)
    Me too, and who don't ? :)

It's exactly the kind of "remakes" we are trying to do in our contest "Vieux pots, Nouvelles soupes"
    http://story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=15941&page=1#Item_13

So wait and see ? You can give your own ideas in english, i will throw the link to them (yes, like a bone to a dog). Right know, i'm not sure how they are going to emulate something lovecraftian keeping "danger" as a fuel.
  • I, too, am unable to read French, but the concept is a good idea. Certainly DangerPatrol is a good way to get across the feel of the old pulp series, and makes it easy to include the Mythos. I did something similar a year or so ago with Danger Platoon (I may update this post later to include links), and recently revised it for the new Pocket Danger Patrol rules - it's more Hellboy-esque than Cthulhu... But maybe I'll try a reskin for the Mythos as well...
  • Hellboy Danger Patrol?! DO WANT.
  • Some of the vocabulary is beyond me, so I don't quite get what "as du volant" does, but "tiens bon mon bébé" made me smile. (For the rest of you, it's Han Solo: "Don't worry, she'll hold together! [aside] You hear me, baby? Hold together."
  • Posted By: philarosSome of the vocabulary is beyond me, so I don't quite get what "as du volant" does, but "tiens bon mon bébé" made me smile. (For the rest of you, it's Han Solo: "Don't worry, she'll hold together! [aside] You hear me, baby? Hold together."
    As du volant = "driver ace" = crack driver
    I think "tiens mon bébé" (hold together baby) was in the original version, on the flyboy, no ?
  • Okay, thinking about it some more, and without looking up any words, here's my guess for what As du volant is saying:

"[in command / while piloting] a vehicle, you can [reroll] the [dice] [indicating] a danger [by inflicting] one [hit] to your engine. Most vehicles could [withstand / survive / take] three [hits] before being destroyed."

This incidentally is making me want to take a class in conversational French. It could be fun to redevelop some basic skill with the language.
  • as du volant, was the only phrase I knew from playing the old Mille Bornes card game when I was a kid.
  • Posted By: BlazmoIntoWoweeHellboy Danger Patrol?!DO WANT.
    Hellboy just kinda screams for a DP treatment. How 'bout it, science??
  • Posted By: moleculoPosted By: BlazmoIntoWoweeHellboy Danger Patrol?!DO WANT.
    Hellboy just kinda screams for a DP treatment. How 'bout it, science??

While I kinda want to rework my threat creation chart before I post it, here's the basics of my revised reskin of Pocket Danger Patrol, in the vein of WW2-era Hellboy. That's one of the great things about the new Danger Patrol - it's sooooo easy to reskin by renaming a few things.

Styles
    Atlantean | Demonblood | Enhanced | Intrepid | Mutant | Mystic | Two-Fisted | Undead
    Style Abilities Brave | Savvy | Tough | Weird
    Roles
    Agent | Assassin | Commando | Daredevil | Detective | Explorer | Pilot | Professor
    Role Abilities Action | Battle | Cunning | Genius
  • edited April 2012
    Staying on thread for a moment, and inspired by Michael's lovely Hellboy reskin, maybe Philippe could do the same for his French CoC? He's already 82% the way there. Philippe, I presume you've seen John's semi-covert Pocket Danger Patrol release over in this thread? Could be PDP peanut butter meeting Arkham confiture.

For those with the patience to do so: You don't need to speak French to appreciate Philippe's work because Google Translate speaks it for you. I for one am enamored with the universality of John's fine design and hope someone is translating it into esperanto.
  • oh, thanks, but this (draft) hack is not mine (despite i've made many things, begnining with translating DP to french and bringing fans to it)
    Posted By: moleculo. Philippe, I presume you've seen John's semi-covert Pocket Danger Patrol releaseover in this thread? Could be PDP peanut butter meeting Arkhamconfiture.
    They are already talking about it in the thread about DP in PandaPirate french forum...

http://www.pandapirate.net/casus/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18582&start=150

For those with the patience to do so: You don't need to speak French to appreciate Philippe's work because Google Translate speaks it for you. I for one am enamored with the universality of John's fine design and hopesomeoneis translating it into esperanto
    Would be a nice idea, and a great (mean weird) artefact, but not very usefull i'm afraid. Anyway, the question of language-dependency in storygames (in rules) is a very important one, at least for me ( look at the boardgame market...), but i think the solution is rather to "iconize" the rules, as much as possible.
  • oh, and i forgot to tell you, i'd rather talk about "Nutella" or "Praliné" rather than confiture. Mmm, Nutella...
    (Or crème de Spéculoos, that i found recently)
  • Nutella is the Official Spread of Rocket City.
  • NUTELLA PATROL!!!
  • Posted By: John HarperNutella is the Official Spread of Rocket City.
    THAT would make a perfect sponsor for an in-box versio of DP...or even " a Pocket DP in each pot !"