Bite Sized Actual Play, May 2012

Last night we played some Archipelago II, ending our session with the crew of the Argosy thawing out their backup crew in a blind panic, paranoid that the machines were taking over (I own The Mystery; they totally are). We had established an enigmatic message encoded in a stream of neutrinos coming from Europa - last week we sent an AI to check it out since we didn't have the reaction mass to divert the whole ship. This week we decoded the message which I (owner of The Mystery) declared read:

KILL YOUR AIS DO NOT SEND AIS HERE DO NOT GO TO EARTH

So, you know, uh oh. Did we just kill the last surviving humans in the solar system?

The other deeply weird thing (this is why playing with other people in an equal-authority system is so fun): Rafael's guy Lt. Cheng is going mad, he's a violent freezer-burned sociopath who is hallucinating about his dead wife. My guy, the watch psychologist, gets him restrained and puts this fMRI device on his head, a diagnostic tool that can be illicitly tuned to basically read people's minds. I illicitly tune. I can see through Cheng's eyes on my monitor. And I see his wife - not a hallucination, but a fucking ghost.

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Last night Chaplain the Gunlugger and Hunk the Faceless finally made a bid to wrest the Meatmarket away from Tum Tum and Gnarly. Gnarly is dead from Chaplain's magnum with his brains all over ("it's like someone inside his head emptied a bucket") and Tum Tum is unnaturally transfixed with Hunk who is a gauze-covered, bloody mummy, covered in burns after the end of the last arc where he detonated a bomb inside a giant kudzu creature. Next week we see what these two, who have left a trail of bodies wherever they've walked, do when put in charge of the lives of 150 souls.
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarLast night we played some Archipelago II, ending our session with the crew of the Argosy thawing out their backup crew in a blind panic, paranoid that the machines were taking over (I own The Mystery; they totally are).
    Yeah, I'm having a field day with this game. The only thing I've discovered, and I think this is just me getting lost in the heat of the moment, is that I've neglected the game's mechanics. I hardly ever use Fate, or key phrases (other than, 'that might not be so easy'). I'm not sure why this is happening -- possibly just a lack of familiarity with the game.

It's also occurred to me that unlike many other games, you can play this one without using those mechanics -- you don't have to ask someone to try again, and you don't have to draw a Fate card, and you don't have to add an interlude. These are just things that you can do, if you want, but if you forget them, the game still works.

The session, overall, was some of the most fun I've ever had while gaming. Just totally amping up the creepiness on all fronts, from your horrific Mystery to Joel's murderous robots to my guy's dead wife. Good times.
  • Posted By: RafaelI've neglected the game's mechanics.
    Yeah, we are actually playing it a little wrong, but it is working fine. I'd be reluctant to mess with the developing vibe just to more rigorously engage with the mechanics. We're hitting our destinies, we're identifying and resolving conflicts, we're lightly using fates, it's fine I think.
  • Would you two be willing to run a game of this at Nerdly? I'd love to give it a shot.
  • I'd be mightily interested in hearing how you drift it!
  • Posted By: Mark CauseyWould you two be willing to run a game of this at Nerdly? I'd love to give it a shot.
    I'm down for another game, anytime! I think Archipelago II is the bizness.

Matthijs, someone started another thread, where I talk a little bit about my experiences, but I don't know the game very well (yet!), so my perspective is a little wonky.
  • Less chatter!

Last night, Monsterhearts:

A Hollow and a fear-hungry Ghoul get locked in a bathroom together, along with a puking drunk girl. Some early misunderstandings and some smoldering animosity spiral into dangerous territory: They set the bathroom on fire (while locked inside it, remember!) and proceed to burn the third girl. it's unclear where this is base sociopathy, a bonding experience, or a bizarre power struggle between two monsters.

Oh, and we'd previously established that the Hollow was "a notion given human form," born of the grief and anguish that accompanied the death of Morrigan (who later rose and became the Ghoul). So the one girl was the personified grief of the other. So, you know: fitting.
  • I love those sorts of connections. Last weekend I ran a one shot with a Ghoul who was stitched together from multiple corpses, including the Ghost's.
  • ...whoa. I would love to hear an additional bite of that AP, Mr. Beason. Specifically, what was the relationship like between that Ghoul and Ghost? Did they realize that one was composed of the other?

(In my game, the Hollow knew she was an accidental spawn of grief, but didn't know who had created her.)
  • They didn't know in character that one was made from the other, but the Ghoul realized that the Ghost was different because he didn't smell like a potential meal, and the Ghost was oddly drawn to the Ghoul, watching her at night. By the end of the session, the Ghoul had taken the advance True Love for the Ghost. It was all very romantic, if you ignore the fact that the Ghoul ate the chemistry teacher, and one of her dads was blithely sewing her homecoming dress while the other (a coroner) was thinking about assembling a kid brother or sister for her. If this had been an ongoing game, I would have had a lot of fun with Dr. Gary, especially after he met her new boyfriend. "You look...familiar, young man..." The Ghost had a kid brother he watched out for, and what better source for parts for the sibling? Keep it in the family!

This is my main problem with games like Monsterhearts or AW as one-shots. The players provide all these wonderful hooks and relationships that never get used. Creative frustration!
  • edited May 2012
    Dissapointing session of Ghost/Echo. In my area of the world, there aren't that many people into "these type of games" and the GM clearly had never heard of this stuff before. Didn't seem to have bothered to read the rules. Didn't even read the handouts for Ghost/Echo. Well all had only a single d6 to roll. We did not get extras for dangers. We were not encouraged to add dangers. The GM did not seem to understand how to clarify goals. All feedback to him seemed that we were stupid and missing things. I stand staunchly behind the idea we need fewer GMs and more cooperative games. Also, the GM read out a huge, 2-page "kicker" to use that didn't work very well. (It made me feel like a puppet.)

I'm afraid I kind of lost it half-way through and began trying to get the GM to use the rules that were actually written on the sheet. Everyone made excuses to leave, I hope that wasn't all my doing. But, quite frankly, I wasn't having fun and I wanted to increase the chances of actually doing something by earning some more dice, dammit!
  • edited May 2012
    Played a great game of the In a Wicked Age / Archipelago II mash-up yesterday. Lots of great great stuff happened, but I wanted to praise the 'If you're in doubt, draw another card from the Oracle' rule because it totally amped up our game.

We used the Nest of Vipers oracle, and our four cards were:

- A wizard, jealously guarding her magical territory

- A fur-trapper, simple but good-natured, and his daughter

- A poor home, shared by many families of beggars

- A vicious gang of cut-throats and alley thieves.

We had to discuss how all these elements fitted together - with the fur-trapper implying a wilderness setting, but the beggars and cut-throats being more urban. Eventually we settled on a huge city, sloping down from the noble houses on the peaks of the hills into the slums where the fur-trapper lived.

At that stage, though, I realised I had a little bit of doubt about the set-up and suggested we pull a fifth card. I said we could discard it if we didn't feel like it added anything to the story.

I pulled the card.

- A ghoulish eater of dead-flesh, driven by unnatural lusts.

Game on.
  • edited May 2012
    Short attendence at the Fear the Boot's Writer's Guild (Fear the Con is this weekend), so idle minds will play.

Three Mass Effect fan boys sat down and we created a Mass Effect playset on the fly for The Trouble with Rose.

Karr'zal (quarrian engineer), Sidonis (reformed turian), and Bel Trane (human soldier/merc) were sent on a rescue mission to save a team salvaging a Reaper derelict in a post 'red' Shepard universe. Things starting going pear shape before we even got to the airlock in the hanger. Ambushed by husks, bashed by brutes, shot to bits by cannibals. The survivors, and two of the players were betrayed by the quarrian who was sent to blow up the wreck. Both Sidonis and Bel were in love with Ereba (the blue rose of Illium), but Sidoni's last act of redemption was to give his own life (double blanks in the fifth act) to save her and Bel. The survivors barely escape as Karr'zal is left drifting in space only to be betrayed himself in the end.

We used the Silverlight powered and free Taebl virtual table program to handle the dominos, cards, and scoring. Easy peasy. I believe I've made a few more converts to TTwR and story games in general.
    --
    TAZ

Tangent Zero: The Trouble with Rose, where you can find links for the rules, Taebl, and the taebl file we used.
  • Fiasco, gangster London.

We robbed a bank using the unexploded WW2 bomb.
  • Left Coast playtest.

Mike's character was the "Preincarnation" of God, AKA Mike Sands.
  • Posted By: Simon CLeft Coast playtest.

Mike's character was the "Preincarnation" of God, AKA Mike Sands.
    Yeah, that was pretty weird. Creepy, but perfect for the story.
  • The best part is that the game was set the same year Mike was born.
  • Road trip with Andy K and Mark Causey, so I brought along Archipelago II, darling of the moment, and played a game on I-85. Turns our Archipelago II is a solid gold car game - I had fate and resolution cards printed out and that was, pretty much, all we needed. Setting up the game I had a clipboard and took notes as we built characters, so we had them but didn't really need to refer to them. Mark was driving and owned the natural world, so Andy and I passed the clipboard back and forth and sketched out a map based on his description. For some reason we didn't use destinies but didn't miss them.

Our game was a tasty fantasy morsel about a pair of isolated villages confronting the return of an ancient evil. The game wrapped up just a mile from my house on the return trip, with evil in full, evil bloom and good tragically hoodwinked into thinking it had won.
  • edited May 2012
    Over in Japan (just returned a few days ago) I spent more than a few nights at Tabletop Cafe Daydream, a gaming cafe/game store in Kanda. The first night there I played Lords of Waterdeep in Japanese (and won! I think it was I ended up with both The Harpers and Khelben Blackstaff, as any old Forgotten Realms geek knows Khelben is the leader of the Harpers).

A few nights later, I ran a two-round FIASCO game in Japanese for five players as facilitator. It was a blast, they really got into it when we finally found a "FIASCO-Like" media property in Japan that everyone recognized ("Kaiji"). There was a low-level yakuza, a detective who will do any dirty deed to get his man, a shady lawyer, a goth-loli high school student with a kind of dementia, and her brother the grad student in pharmacology who cooks drugs for the yakuza. No one had a happy ending, and everyone loved it. Okada-san (author of Ryuutama, and also works at the cafe) ended up liking it so much he ran it two times in the next week for other local players, and they had a blast.

While the above game was entirely in Japanese, I acted as facilitator so it wasn't as draining on me. I even jumped in to play some minor parts. There was one time that they needed a judge NPC for a courtroom scene: I was not able to participate because I simply don't know "court room words/conversation patterns", but I did manage to get in some Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney jokes.

Before I left, I played Ryuutama with the author/designer, including with an illustrator, a women who was playing RPGs for the first time, a children's book illustrator and another IT guy. I played a Noble "from a far away land", a character class recognized in this game to be the absolute most useless but potentially memorable class in the game. It was great fun, and I learned a lot about the game in the process. The new woman had an awesome time. I'm eventually going to break this session down as a play-by-play later on in its own thread. This game also was entirely in Japanese (save me - as a faraway noble, talking entirely in Japanese but saying about five words in pigeon English, including "Beautiful!" "Wonderful!" etc when he was indicating his own land), but since I was one of five players, I wasn't talking the entire time and thus it wasn't really draining. However, I did take all my character sheet notes in English.

Pics from both the above in my Picasaweb album over here

-Andy
  • XXXXtreme Street Luge

Rolling Vengeance won the Luge, and the most prestige, as his Perception was very Vin Diesel-like.

My dude, 'Fus, totally tried to make a friend with some dude, 'cause he knew all about the space program and stuff, but he nerded out (using History) and didn't get any good cards. Escalated to guns just because I wanted to draw an extra card.

In the end, I lost my only fan (my mom), and quit the game for some tacos.
  • Annalise, set in a ranching/gold rush town in the 1800s: the NPC step-daughter of one of the first PC looks interesting, so I decide to make her my PC. We pull secrets. "I can never reveal that I have sex for money." Hmm, I was imagining a somewhat more innocent character. Let's pull another secret. "I can never reveal that I bathe in human blood." Frontier prostitute it is!
  • Risk: Legacy, session 3 (spoiler free).

All three sessions of this game have so far been won and lost on Australia strategy. First game, Anton came close to being dominant by starting in Australia, but left his back door open and David took him out to win. Second game, David started in Australia and won by doing a long run across South Asia, North Africa, and took the final opponent's base in Peru. This was our third game and we'd opened one packet so far, for David winning twice, which gave us [REDACTED].

This time, Anton picked first and took Australia again, I took Japan, David's in South America, and Erin's in North America, so basically it was a rematch of game #1. Anton tried to fight me early on, but wasn't getting anywhere, so we agreed on a focus on more productive things. David and Erin battled it out across Central America while I took Europe and Anton took Africa. Still, I didn't start with a continent (Asia is rough), but had more cards due to my faction's special ability. Anton and David started fighting across the Brazil-North Africa divide, stopping each other from getting continent bonuses and keeping me from getting Europe with minor excursions.

Then David took Erin's base in Ontario and both David and I psychically cooperated to force Anton to attack me in Europe (to stop my continent bonus) which gave me the excuse to send an excursion south and take out his base in Australia. Still, I couldn't hold it and Anton came back strong, since David left him holding all of Africa. [The other big part of the game was allowing your opponents to get certain continent bonuses as long as they were almost guaranteed to use them against another opponent.] In the end, David tried a last ditch effort to get a red star (you need 4 to win) by [REDACTED], but failed due to all of the rest of us rolling seven straight 6's when defending with a single troop. By then, Anton had amassed enough cards to buy a red star and enough troops to successful invade Japan for the win.

Now, though, we've placed all the minor cities on the board and got to open our second packet, which gave us [TOP SECRET]. Looking forward to the next game. Erin and I keep getting hosed because we haven't started in control of one of the smaller continents, but the complications that keep getting added to the game are starting to mitigate against that.
  • edited May 2012
    A wonderful game of Until We Sink last night.

Premise: We're all either natives or holiday guests on a tiny resort island far into the Paciic Ocean, on an island which is slowly but surely sinking into the ocean.

Throughout the first six evenings of conversation, we slowly draw out the simple, quiet caretaker and find out that his entire family, everyone he knows has died and been buried on the island and that he’s never left the island ever.

On the final day, when the island sinks and the survivors are drifting in a boat and waiting for rescue, the caretaker isn’t with us.
  • Oh, the pathos! (I adore Until We Sink)
  • edited May 2012
    It's a great game! My first time playing it, and I was surprised at how moving it was: I'm still tearing up a little about the final confessions between my sullen teenager and his alcoholic father. Does it have much replay value? (Possibly a question for a new thread.)

-- -- --

Microscope, this weekend at Day of Games. We decided to go for epic space opera: my favourite bit was building a Dyson sphere designed to move a star (so that we could have a mobile power source for our intergalactic colony ship).
  • Last night we finally ended our half-year long campaign in my game Svart av kval, vit av lust. The mad vampire united with the devil in the catacombs under an Italian monastery and rode into the world on a cloud of fire and ash, leading the armies of hell to devour the earth. Many of the few surviving vampires united with him and the rest died fighting. The only thing that stood between humanity and the destruction of the world was ... Kjell Svensson, a middle-aged slightly corpulent police officer from Stockholm and, by chance, the vessel of the four cosmic light-beings with the power to stop the apocalypse.

It was epic on a scale I have not experienced before.
  • Simon, I'd love to hear more! Maybe a new thread?
  • I started a thread to talk about Until We Sink, so come over and talk about it!
  • edited May 2012
    Microscope, alt-history Elizabethan era. The second Spanish Armada conquers Britannia but the Gloriana Invicta resistance ("Elizabeth unvanquished") continues the fight for queen and country.

We've already seen that the British heir-in-hiding Prince James was secretly part of the conspiracy that murdered his own younger sister, Princess Matilde, even while keeping up appearances as her loving brother and protector. Jerk! We go back to before she was killed to answer the seemingly simple question "how was she murdered?" The scene is the conspirators plotting to get rid of the princess. It's set in the gardens of a noble who has secretly supports the resistance and has been hiding the prince and princess from the occupying Spaniards.

Folks are picking characters. It's the usual choices: the prince, the noble, the cutthroat who is biding his time as the princess's bodyguard but is really waiting for the order to kill her.

Hmm, this scene seems too easy. So I pick the princess. The scene framer didn't think to ban her. Go ahead and do your plotting right in front of the poor girl you heartless bastards! Kind-hearted Princess Matilde spends the scene strolling through the garden innocently plucking flowers and bringing them to her loving brother and future assassin. Each time she's out of ear-shot the prince and their two-faced host discuss how best to murder her.

And then to really put the icing on the cake-of-pain, we have the princess's protector and secret love-that-cannot-be (and devoted agent of the resistance) wander into the scene and watch unwittingly as she is handed the poison that will kill her. Which isn't so bad, because we already played the scene years later where he uncovers his masters' treachery and exacts brutal revenge with his own hand. Seeing how callous her murder is actually explains why he was/will be so ruthless in the earlier/future scene.
  • Zombie Cinema without zombies at Story Games Seattle. Oh we thought there were zombies but they were just normal people seen through the clouded lens of hysteria and mob-thought.

There really was nothing to fear but fear itself. And frightened people with guns. Surviving PCs = zero.
  • edited May 2012
    Our Archipelago game ended in a surprisingly down note last night - the bad guys won, our robotics engineer Childress made contact with the machine intelligence and surrendered to it. Everybody on Europa died, creepily represented by the last surviving human holding down the F key on a keyboard as his or her life ended, crying out to the void. The surviving humans landed on Earth as planned, to find themselves in what amounted to a zoo where Guyana used to be, their future unknown and unknowable. One guy, the engineer Beausoliel, stayed in orbit with 60 days of consumables and no hope of anything at the end of it. And as icing on the failcake, they had tipped their hand concerning where they had come from.

One nice thing about this mini-campaign was that it was a little incoherent - we never knew exactly what the machine intelligence wanted, we never understood its motivations, it was genuinely frightening. Some people it killed horribly, some people it co-opted, a few it seemed to avoid. That, layered on the weird atmospheric stuff about ghosts (combined with ghosts in the machine) gave the whole game a menacing air of unpredictability and terror.
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarThe surviving humans landed on Earth as planned, to find themselves in what amounted to a zoo where Guyana used to be, their future unknown and unknowable.
    This sounds like the start of a new campaign.
  • In our game of Night's Black Agents, the failure of our two field operatives to get good intel and to identify and deal with two shapeshifting prisoners meant that:
    a) when the American general turned up in his helicopter to take the prisoners away, I had to machine gun them in front of the general as they transformed
    b) one of the field operatives approached the local Chinese bigwigs thinking that they were opposed to the vampires, only to find out that they are vamps too.

As a result, we've had to 'borrow' a drone and use it to capture a high ranking vampire to show the general and prove they exist, and now there are a lot of pissed of vampires who, if not angry at us, will certainly be gunning for the general. Oh, and he now wants to weaponise the vamp.
  • Posted By: MatthijsThis sounds like the start of a new campaign.
    I agree. But we'll be using Rifts.

Zing!

So, Jason gave me a copy of Archipelago II (it's free! I didn't know. How cool!), and I perused it. I felt much more confident about the system. We used interludes, Fate cards, and the map much more aggressively (well, I was more focused on that, but the other guys already knew how to play the game, so they just played it like you're supposed to).

End result, awesome. Death and destruction. The combination of outer-space sci-fi and horror gave the setting a feeling of doom right from the start -- I mean, we've seen this movie (Alien, Event Horizon, Hellraiser: Bloodline... actually, did anyone else see that one?), and it never ends well.
  • I'm so glad I got to play Archipelago in the car the other day with Jason and Andy. It's like discovering a way to do what you've wanted to do for a long time but didn't know you could.
  • edited May 2012
    Apocalypse World lately has felt like I uncorked my brain and coolness is spilling out ever since I internalized "leave yourself things to wonder about" and "make Apocalypse World seem real." Totally obvious things to most folks I'm sure but it's taken me to the next level.

Smith the Battlebabe was so freaked out by these armored genocidal stormtroopers who invaded John's Pike that she hid in a closet from them. Chaplain the Gunlugger received her report and was trying to figure out ways to surrender. I'm like seriously? You guys machine-gunned half the hardhold without thinking twice and these guys freak you out? AWESOME. They are pretty scary, though. They have a tank and it plays a recording on repeat: "The Death Road leads to you. Lay down, and wait for our mercy."

Meanwhile Hunk the Faceless helped the prostitutes of the Meatmarket murdered Tum Tum, after Chaplain killed Gnarly and they were enraged over all the abuse that the Tum Tum and Gnarly put them through. Gnarly was the one who kept them in line, so after that Tum Tum was a target.

"I have a weak spot for crimes of passion," Hunk said.
  • Pulling a doughnut out of the line of fire, Queue the driver rams his other car through the garage door to get out of the sniper's sights. Everyone is unharmed. The other (man-sized) garage door just in front of the car opens and a bunch of thugs starts squeezing through. Christmas the operator, panicking in the co-driver's seat, tries to read the situation. What should I be on the lookout for? I think for a second - well, there are these guys coming at you, but they're *right there*, it's obvious...what you should really be on the lookout for is still the sniper. Isn't there a roof above us asks Christmas. Well no, says Cookie the savvyhead from the back seat - it's his garage - the ceiling is made of glass. Queue puts the pedal to the metal.
  • Wicked Archipelago last weekend.

Me (playing The Prince): So, I suppose I'll have to sleep on the floor, because my 'lover' is so pissed at me.
    Ben (playing the Prince's lover): Oh no, she wants to seal the deal.
    Me: Okay, in that case - we totally do it. And I'm awesome.
    Johnzo: That might not be so easy!

We draw 'No, and something completely unrelated goes wrong.'
  • edited May 2012
    Posted By: jdfristromWe draw 'No, and something completely unrelated goes wrong.'
    Cruel card interpreters said the prince could not perform. Ouch. "I swear this has never happened before!!!"

The gold-digging princess-to-be, already disappointed the prince plans exile not the throne, Lando's: "This deal's getting worse all the time." And then she gets her head cut off. Short chapter all around.
  • edited May 2012
    West Greenfield Maul is my homebrew hack of the FU system to run a Sam Raimi horror-comedy in a mall possessed by a telekinetic ancient evil. The stores there no longer want your money, they want your blood.

Our three characters are Bryan, the angst-ridden local musician; Allie, his drummer’s ex-girlfriend and the town slut; and Emma Jean, her sassy, southern grandmother. Bryan is trying to return a defective mic stand and Emma Jean has dragged her granddaughter to the bathroom – again – when a flying bra wraps itself around Allie’s head and tries to shove its straps down her throat like a facehugger. Then things got weird. After being attacked by mutated pets, possessed pants, hamburgers with teeth, two versions of the Necronomicon Ex Mortis and the entire actual Sunglasses Hut kiosk, the gang finally gathered together all the ingredients for the Saaamaaa ritual. They were able to cast its protective circle just before the fountain kraken’s tentacles crushed the life out of them. The problem was, they were now surrounded by a living wall of tentacle; the ritual kept the kraken out, but it also kept them in. Unsure of what to do to escape, Bryan borrowed Allie’s smartphone and Googled a spell for tentacles. Autocorrect read it as “teleportation” and gave him a spell for just that. The group thought that the best place to teleport would be back in time to before they entered the mall. The plan worked! They teleported themselves all the way back to the Cenozoic. As a giant sloth rumbled by, the cell phone said the last words it ever would: “Lo Batt.”
  • After much insistence from my six year old son, we sat down and played some OD&D for the first time together. He played his newly made 1st lvl fighter named Dragon Torcher and mommy played her female Elf named Jemra. I was describing their travel through the darkwood as caravan guards for a small merchant family, talking about the bumpy road and giving some hints of the personality of Uncle Norris, the family tinker. Then my son blurts out, "Okay Daddy, when do I get to fight stuff?!?"
  • Posted By: orklord"Okay Daddy, when do I get to fight stuff?!?"
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
  • I got in two playtests of a new version of my old basically abandoned sword & sorcery game Bläck this weekend.

In the first one we saw three unlikely heroes taking on a necromancer in a tower before wandering of to a djungle in search for the Fountain of Wisdom. We don't really know what Valdemar found out there on the island, but it seems he was kind of self counscious when he came back. In the last chapter one of the heroes beat the dreaded captain of the Red Riders and got his sword for a price.

We had fun, but that was definitley the unsuccessful playtest of the two. After making some changes I had another go today with other players.

We saw the undefeated gladiator Valkan fleeing the palace guard, ending up in the Lion Garden (which held lions of course) where he fought for his life. Soon a thief showed up only to be spotted by the already alert guards. They soon made their escape to the other side of the river where they could be patched up and have some wine.

After that they fought assassins in the streets of the Floating City (city block built on stilts in the river), young misbehaving nobles who attacked the poor who lived in the cities great graveyard, and finally the Red Cult at their sacrifice ritual in the old catacombs. It turned out that the Masked Whisperer, the cult's mysterious leader, was no one other than the lord of the city – a city in which only worship of the Nine Dancers was allowed.

After less than two hours of playing (including drawing the map and making characters) we left our heroes as they were fleeing the now burning catacombs.

By Crom, that's what the game is supposed to be like! But what was more important – rules changes, or the fact that the second set of players were actually sword & sorcery fans? Maybe they were equal parts. I'll revel in the success for a while anyway!
  • edited May 2012
    Darius, the Witch, has run completely run out of String, has blown all his Tokens, and has taken two Harm and 5 conditions. Pretty much completely deprotagonized, at this point, as no dice rolls will end in anything but failure.

Jessamine, the Vampire, comes over with an offer that Darius can't refuse, literally, and Darius finds himself being forced to "go first" into the house of Janel, (on which Jess wants revenge.) Darius tries to roll Dark to figure out where Janel is hiding, and blows the roll (how couldn't he?)

Darius spends the next few minutes commediacally flailing about, having taken on another condition (on top of terrified, confused, and others... now Darius has "trapped" going on in his brain).

Jessamine does what any good manipulative bitch would do, leave Darius behind to die.

What happens instead? The MC turns the situation on its head, and Janel starts to offer Darius everything he needs... removal of conditions... even offering to find some... Tokens to get leverage on the other PCs... especially Jessamine.

I love this MC. Turn a completely discarded and "useless" PC into a real contender again, it the space of five seconds.
  • Apocalypse World:

So this axe-fucker wanders into town, throws Mr. Proper's best book-scavenger to the ground. He demands blood for blood, and slams an axe into the man's back. Tomago, the chopper, blows him away.

But that doesn't change the matter: the scavenger is bleeding out. Mr. Proper opens his mind, and the next thing he knows he's seated at a table with the scavenger on a empty plateau. When his man pours the tea for them, it's made of blood. No matter how long her pours, it doesn't end - the blood overflows and runs down the edge of the table. The scavenger tosses back the blood and it runs down his chin.

The cultist healer explains: you need to give life if you want to save life. Tomago, the chopper, runs down Mr. Proper's old business associate just a little ways out of town. She seizes him, holds him over the axed scavenger, and Mr. Proper prepares the blade. The associate screams, and then his blood is pouring out. The scavenger wakes, covered in hot gore.
  • edited May 2012
    Dungeon World, we're fighting some fire beetles and my paladin is sorta crushing it. He's got the Exterminatus move, which allows him to stack an extra 2d4 against a foe he calls out individually for ass-kicking. The downside of Exterminatus is that he does dramatically less damage to any other foe. But who cares, right?

So my guy is in a fire beetle killing frenzy. He's really holding it down, rolling high, killing them in one blow. One bug tries to flee, digging into the soft tunnel wall. I call Exterminatus on him and attack, but only do five points of damage. He's hurt but very much alive.

The fire bug vanishes into the dirt.

Uh oh.
  • Playing an old school D&D hack, we've been cautiously exploring and suddenly a bunch of skeletons attack us.

The two fighters in the lead each annihilate the first skeletons through the door. The DM asks "What do you do next?" and one of the fighters/players looks at the other and puts his hand up "HIGH FIVE!"
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarUh oh.
    And as the years went by and his martial power slowly diminished, Sir Roland never ceased prating about "That damnable fiery insect! He will haunt me to end of my days!"
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarUh oh.
    I think that someone is trying to kill me
    Infecting my blood and destroying my mind
    No man of the flesh could ever stop me
    The fight for this fish is a fight to the death

White whale - holy grail

What remorseless emperor commands me
    I no longer govern my soul
    I am completely immersed in darkness
    As I turn my body away from the sun

White whale - holy grail

Split your lungs with blood and thunder
    When you see the white whale
    Break your backs and crack your oars men
    If you wish to prevail

This ivory leg is what propels me
    Harpoons thrust in the sky
    Aim directly for his crooked brow
    And look him straight in the eye

White whale - holy grail

Mastodon is perfect hunting music.
  • Don't worry, there's a sticky note tucked into the GMs notes with only two little words on it - fire bug.