Keep It Sunny - first release

edited May 2012 in Directed Promotion
Yo,

Some folks were keen on seeing Keep It Sunny, my game based on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. But I had to spend a bit of time tweaking Mac. And now that's done, so: here it is! Keep It Sunny, a game about some douchebags that you know and... love?

It's been super fun so far, whether I've been at the table or not. Take it for a spin!

If you're a superfan, you could post here with your suggestions for the other Guest Stars. Cricket and The Waitress especially need to happen.

Comments

• So simple, yet so effective. Really elegant design on that, Joe. I wish I had more friends that liked that show. Heck, I wish I liked the show more now.
  • Posted By: BlazmoIntoWoweeI wish I liked the show more now.
    It'd be easy for someone to hack the game and play a different sitcom with it. So long as it's a show about (borderline sociopathic) narcissists who think they're smarter than they really are, it'll work great: Seinfeld, Arrested Development, Frasier.
  • Yessss.
  • Argh! I hate that show! It makes me so mad. I feel like it's the antithesis of Parks and Rec. In It's Always Sunny, the punchline is that all these people are awful. In Parks and Rec, it's that they're all kind of lovely.

Make me a Parks and Rec. game!
  • Posted By: Simon C
    Make me a Parks and Rec. game!
    Find a different game design whipping boy!

Alternately, design yourself a game. You're welcome to steal ideas from Keep It Sunny, if there are any good ones. I don't particularly want to play a game about Parks and Rec. I feel like the show is brilliant (or was, for about two seasons) because of its humanizing touches and moments of candor. That shit is hard to pull off in a comedy game. But if you want it, make it!
  • Ha ha! Fair enough.

Comedy is hard to design. Well, comedy is easy. Good comedy is hard.

I really like the format you've developed here, even if I don't like the show.
  • SOOOOO happy to have this! Want to play a session with you.
  • edited May 2012
    Posted By: Mcdaldnohumanizing touches and moments of candor. That shit is hard to pull off in a comedy game.
    Really? I think thats much easier than you realize.

In any case, a Parks and Rec setting for Coming of Age would be pretty easy to assemble. Maybe I should...

I do like the improv-esque structure, I wonder how much the game depends on foreknowledge of the show?
  • Posted By: wyrmwood

I do like the improv-esque structure, I wonder how much the game depends on foreknowledge of the show?
    I just played it last weekend, in a game where only 2 of 5 participants had ever watched the show. It was spot-on. But maybe that was an isolated case of brilliance. I don't yet know!

It's my goal to play this with (A.) people who've never seen the show, (B.) people who've never roleplayed, (C.) people who've never seen the show OR roleplayed. I've got a hunch that A or B will work fine, and C will be a crashing mess. We'll find out!
  • Joe, you know I love you.
    But Joe? A Sunny improv game? I love you.

haha
  • Posted By: McdaldnoPosted By: BlazmoIntoWoweeI wish I liked the show more now.
    It'd be easy for someone to hack the game and play ... Arrested Development, ....

Challenge (tentatively) accepted!
  • Well done. Great little game. :)
  • I don't like the show, but I like this game.

I kinda want to hack the game to do Archer/Sealab 2021/etc.
  • I started thinking about the prospective character sheets for Archer and then started laughing because A) Funny and B) Difficult because the characters in Archer actually have more nuance than the Always Sunny characters.
  • Someone call Kenny Loggins....
  • Posted By: nemomemenuance
    Yeah, Keep It Sunny definitely benefits from how archetypal and simple the characters of Its Always Sunny are.

A big part of it is that they're douchebags who think of themselves as lovable sitcom characters. They all self-identify as "Oh, I'm the ____ one." And the funny comes from the fact that no one else thinks of them that way.
  • This is pretty fucking awesome. I've never been one who likes to RP existing characters, but I'd definitely try this. Somehow drugs and alchohol need to work their way into the game.
  • That just reminds me how everyone on Alway Sunny kept switching roles:

The Brains
    The Looks
    The Muscle
    The Wild Card
    The Useless Chick

And how those roles could defintelty be used as character classes
  • I lolled...and yes, keep groping towards a generalized self-centered comedy game.
  • Posted By: Danger5That just reminds me how everyone on Alway Sunny kept switching roles:

The Brains
    The Looks
    The Muscle
    The Wild Card
    The Useless Chick

And how those roles could defintelty be used as character classes
    Actually I was thinking about this too. They seem to frequently latch on to movie tropes, like "We're like the A-Team!" or "We were thinking Two Men and a Baby, but we could probably do a My Three Dads thing too. Yeah, that works."
  • This looks great, Joe. And this is brilliant:
    Hilarity vs. Integrity (12)
    Don’t try to be hilarious. It’ll fall flat, just like Dee’s comedy routines. Instead, play your character as earnestly as
    possible, and commit to your ideas and schemes 100%. Intentionally get facts wrong and say misguided things, but then continue to stubbornly hold to what you said. In each scene that features your character, ask your self the question on your character card. Try to work the answer into the scene in some way.
    That's really what makes the show work. There's no reason why these awful, awful people should be so funny. But the actors just commit to the awfulness, and all you can do is laugh. Good advice for players.
  • Would it be crappy of me to ask for a sheet of card backs? People I play games with have a history of being wary of games they think might be "unfinished." If the cards have backs, I can just get them laminated, and they'll see it as totally legit. Also, I want card backs.

Love,
    Joseph
  • This put a big smile on my face. Love it! Going through the mental rolodex for prospective players right now...
  • Even my wife, who hates nerdy stuff like RPGs, wants to play this. :D
  • Posted By: SentientGamesmy wife, who hates nerdy stuff like RPGs, wants to play this. :D
    Zachary, if she does end up playing it, I'd love to hear about her experience. "People who don't really play RPGs" is one of the audiences I'm most interested in designing for with this project.