So you and the rest of the Riley crime syndicate/family have been toiling away, getting your faces stepped on by the fucking Sullivans every day, just like they always used to do in the fucking Old Country, world without end. The Sullivans were fat, happy and safe because they kept kissing the Italian loafers of the mob that runs the town, whereas you and yours have to scrabble and scrape for every nickel you can get. They rubbed your noses in it for years.
Bad blood erupts through no act of yours: the Sullivans get wiped out and the Italians all kill each other. Suddenly the road forward is free and clear.
What are some of the events/problems/circumstances you face?
Here are some ideas:
* The Sullivans' old drug supplier wants to stay independent and you need a drug supplier.
* The gun runner who supplied everyone got murdered in the war, now nobody has any iron.
* The fucking Vietnamese think this is their chance too.
* A giant wake for the one Sullivan that everyone loved, Dapper Kevin. You have to attend or nobody will respect you.
* How the hell did the Sullivans launder all this money you're getting now?
* "Drugs require a supplier, gambling just requires math and prostitution requires girls, both of which we don't need to smuggle in."
* The feds are sniffing around.
* All the bent cops want their payouts upped since it's you and not their old pals.
Please give more ideas.
(Bonus points if you know the name of the head of the Italians and who killed him. You have to be a real nerd to know this one.)