Stuff to Watch June 2012

edited June 2012 in Stuff to Watch

What stuff should we watch, read, play?

1.Feel free to respond here in-thread to another link posted.

a. If you're looking to start a conversation, perhaps take your comment and create a new thread with it in the Stuff to Watch category.

b.Otherwise, to prevent too many comments in the thread, number your response (first response: [1]; second response [2]; third response [3]). If you see that you're the second person to post, "Wow, that looks cool!" to a post here, then put a "[2]" at the top of your post. Three posts ([3]) is the limit: The fourth person to post should just take their comment and create a new thread, to carry the discussion over there further.

Why?

Because these threads are great: We can link to little things being talked about on the web in general, on blogs, or other forums that might be noteworthy, without having to dedicate a new thread to each and every one (although that, too, is fine if you want to discuss the item further or "open up a discussion").

Responding to these posts with a comment or two is understandable (other times there might be no comments, just cause the link was self-explanatory: nothing to say, lots of heads nodding in agreement). But we don't want to create a huge discussion in the middle of the thread: Some folks get a lot out of these threads, and don't want to look back to see the "10 latest posts" just to see that it's a heated discussion of something from a previous page. Cool? Cool.

Comments

• edited June 2012
  • edited June 2012
    The Pathfinder Online MMO was last mentioned on this site (I think?) in a thread with predictions for 2012 late last year, where it was predicted to either flop (hard) or fail to ship.

It's not shipped yet, development has been moving forward (as described in the blog on the Goblinworks site).

Goblinworks started a kickstarter to fund making a technology demo, which has 5 days left before it finishes, and which has reached and exceeded the original goal of US$50.000. One of the rewards for backers is a PDF (or book) detailing the town of Thornkeep for the Pathfinder RPG, as well as having a section about the design philosophy for the online game (which - in the design blogs - sounds different enough from the now-standard WoW and SW:TOR MMO themeparks to get my attention).

I've been following the discussions on the Paizo forum set up for this. One of the more interesting discussions is from Pathfinder RPG completists, who feel "forced" to support the MMO to get hold of the print version of the Thornkeep book. Another interesting thing is the fact that a significant part of the design is out in the open (as opposed to, say the MMO the now-defunct 38 Studios was working on).
  • edited June 2012
    I don't know if this has been posted yet...but I can't help thinking that there's a great game here using these images as inspiration for story hooks:

Tragedy Series</a
  • Tragedy #1: This is going on my wall:
    tumblr_m2ssnhHqh31r0o12to1_500.jpg
  • edited June 2012
    Pathfinder MMO #1: No Mac support, no point. No backing.
  • edited June 2012
    [2] Pathfinder MMO

They're dependent on the middleware vendor(s) for alternate (read: non-windows) client support.

Ryan Dancey says about that on the Paizo Pathfinder Online forums:
    I really want to do a Mac version. I'm all Mac, all the time at home. I'm a total Apple fanboi.
    The critical path runs through the middleware. There are no good cross-platform options that do Mac well yet. The software we're planning to use does not yet have a Mac client.
    On the other hand, it's more likely that one will be available by the time the game is ready to ship than it has been in the past. Apple's successes make it easier to justify spending money on Mac development.
    There's also always the option of doing something like the EVE port using WINE, CIDER, and support from a company like Transgaming.

So it's not a question of will, or a question of interest. It's just a technical question of "if it's possible, we'll do it".
    Remember this Kickstarter is only for the technology demo, not for the actual game (though knowing how much potential players want a Mac version could be of value to Goblinworks, I guess).
  • [Pathfinder MMO 3 and out]

Over at How Not to Run a Game Business Fugaros rips the shit out of Dancey and Paizo on this one.

Ryan “Steve Jobs” Dancey, Master of MMOs, Swinger of Deals, World Poker Tour Pro, apparently can’t close a contract for a god-damned thing. He apparently can’t convince his friends and family to have faith in this project. He can’t convince strangers with money to have faith in his project. They’ve been doing this for six months, and haven’t landed ANYTHING. Not a single dime, delivered or promised, in value or cash.

As they say in the business world: “Uh-oh.”

I was similarly flabbergasted that they're raising the money for...a tech demo?
  • It's a way off, but Michael Miller has announced he is hoping to release a new edition of With Great Power… in time for next year's DexCon.
  • Not surprising but still horrifying Sexual harassment in on-line gaming communities
    I've heard similar comments in gaming stores.
  • The Dungeon World Kickstarter just went from $0 to $2000 in the time it took me to watch the video. Yesssss
  • [Dungeon World 2]

And its funded! Here's to some interesting stretch goals!
  • edited June 2012
    [Dungeon World 3]

And it's now at 400% funded. WIth 25 days to go.

Solid gold dice, here we come.
  • edited June 2012
    Forsooth!

It's launching June 22nd.

EDIT: The first preview article is up. Death..
  • Here's something to watch (though doubtless mentioned elsewhere here): One Cool Thing I Saw At Origins 2012.

I mention it here in case there are two or three things people want to say about the One Cool Thing tradition in addition to, or instead of, about Origins itself. Three cheers to Kira for making this video exist.
  • edited June 2012
    By and large Japanese tabletop RPG publishers have been very slow to get into e-book publishing (though not as slow as traditional Japanese publishers). Ken Akamatsu (of Love Hina fame) heads up a site called J-Comi that makes out of print manga available for free, and they just announced that they'll be putting out select out of print tabletop RPGs. The first out so far is Bellfahle Magic Academy, which originally came out in 1994 and which I'd never heard of before. There are more coming, including the excellent Mononoke Koyake supplement for Golden Sky Stories.

Edit: Here's the PDF link by the way.
  • edited June 2012
    So my interview with Andy K finally went up.

He talks S-G history, what makes it a community, where it's going, and how he sees the problems, among other things.
  • [JRPGs 1]
    This makes me extremely happy. Though, after a cursory search, it doesn't look like you can actually download the book, just view it (???). Perhaps I missed something somewhere. I'll give it a more detailed look-through later (when I'm not at work).

I love a lot of the older JRPGs, mostly for the art. It'd still take me far too long to translate any of them on my own, I fear, but usually I can glean interesting tidbits with a couple hours work with my handy-dandy kanji dictionary.

...kinda like I'm doing with Hobby Japan's version of the Gundam RPG. Gotta find out what those customized dice stickers are all about!!!
  • [Mac Middleware #1... What? I'm not talking about Pathfinder AT ALL!]
    Ryan DanceyThere are no good cross-platform options that do Mac well yet.
    Boy, there's some pissed off Java developers out there now, I'll bet....
  • [Mac Middleware #2... What? I'm not talking about Pathfinder AT ALL!]
    Posted By: David Artman
    Boy, there's some pissed off Java developers out there now, I'll bet....

I'm not a game developer, but I suspect there's a reason why people don't write complex computer games in Java, or they'd already be doing it and have cross-platform compatibility.
  • edited June 2012
    [Mac Middleware #3... What? I'm not talking about Pathfinder AT ALL!]
    Umm... Unity?
  • The New Tarot, an evocative new 77-card tarot set. (Created by Warren Tusk, who was also behind the Dance & Dawn kickstarter.)

"The Major Arcana of the Tarot proper are often understood as the way-stations of a "Fool's Journey" towards self-knowledge and self-mastery. The Major Arcana of the New Tarot are meant to encapsulate a second and more outward-focused leg of that journey, in which the newly enlightened Fool steps out into the world to explore and to make his dreams a reality. For this reason, their numbering begins where the classic Major Arcana leave off."
  • edited June 2012
    PTA on Metafilter

Mefites, somebody link them to the big AP reports over here.
  • edited June 2012
    Posted By: Hans c-oSomy interview with Andy Kfinallywent up.

He talks S-G history, what makes it a community, where it's going, and how he sees the problems, among other things.
    Oops, looks like I misfired: "This site is a place to loosely describe Role Playing Games." I meant to say /"discuss"/ :-)

Also, I likely talked a little too much about dirty laundry given the general nature of the media blog (I thought the audience was only RPGers/S-Gers), but at the time of the interview that was the kind of stuff that was on our minds. Oh well!

-Andy
  • edited June 2012
    [andy k 2]
    Posted By: Andy
    Also, I likely talked a little too much about dirty laundry given the general nature of the media blog (I thought the audience was only RPGers/S-Gers), but at the time of the interview that was the kind of stuff that was on our minds. Oh well!
    Woops! I still think it's good, and gives insight into community stuff. I hope it doesn't turn people off, as there's not much context for it--say, how S-G's culture compares to RPG.net's culture.
  • [Andy K 3]

That was a good read, thanks. I rarely think about Story Games as a thing unto itself.
  • Carly M. Ho was kind enough put together a great little Magical Burst character generator.
  • Ray Bradbury has died. President Obama issued a statement which I like very much (emphasis mine):

For many Americans, the news of Ray Bradbury's death immediately brought to mind images from his work, imprinted in our minds, often from a young age. His gift for storytelling reshaped our culture and expanded our world. But Ray also understood that our imaginations could be used as a tool for better understanding, a vehicle for change, and an expression of our most cherished values. There is no doubt that Ray will continue to inspire many more generations with his writing, and our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

• edited June 2012
    [middleware]Doesn't Minecraft used Java?
  • edited June 2012
    [middleware 2]
    Yes, Minecraft is a Java program.

Unity3D is pretty damn cool and you can code it in javascript/mono/C#.
  • edited June 2012
    Has anyone heard of RPGorbit? Yet another place to sell your games.

They have kind of an interesting model. I'm interested in what self-publishers think of this service:

Two options when you're starting out

We built RPGOrbit to give you the best shot at making some money from your passion.
    For $4.50 a month publishers get:

-A full online store for seven of your products
    -Unlimited downloads. Sell for whatever price you want.

For a 20% commission on sales you get:

-A full online store for all your products
    -That's more store, features and tools for less than you'll find anywhere on the Web. If all you're doing is giving away free games, you get a store for free!

Both of our stores offer:

-A full ecommerce store
    -A suite so social marketing tools including:
    -Twitter Integration
    -A Facebook Store
    -Email marketing tools with MailChimp Integration
    -The help of our professional marketing team

-------

Looks like the intrepid Nathan Paoletta's got a store-in-the-making over there.
  • [RPGorbit] Exciting!

-Vincent
  • edited June 2012
    [RPGorbit 2]
    Posted By: Hans c-oFor $4.50 a month publishers get:

-A full online store for seven of your products
    -Unlimited downloads. Sell for whatever price you want.
    Excuse me, but… who's got seven products to sell? Vincent, and maybe Jason? Can 2-3 self-publishers team up on a single account, maybe?
  • edited June 2012
    [RPGorbit...2? 3]

Oh man, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I can't wait to try it out!

...now I just have to, y'know, finish a project...
  • Rafu,

That one's the bad deal. The other one (no fees, 20% commission) is the good deal.
  • [RPGorbit 3ish?]

I started a storefront, but found the backend interface so confusing and buggy that I never got any products up. Maybe it's better now though.
  • [RPG Orbit 7]
    Maybe a new thread on this interesting new site and its implications, guys?
  • Luke talks about his very interesting experiences running classic D&D for several months as-is, no hacks:
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/111266966448135449970/posts/Q8qRhCw7az5
  • [Luke Moldvay]

It's very well written!!!!
  • An interview about Forsooth! on Hyperbole Games. It's super in-depth and gives a lot of great insights about how the game works and how it was designed.
  • Should I make a separate thread about Forsooth? There's going to be a good amount of content in the next couple weeks, and while I don't want to spam the forum, I also don't want to clog this thread. Whisper me your thoughts.
  • [Forsooth 2]

Whom are you asking for permission? Open it if you feel like it, I say.
  • CLANG

One of my favorite authors demonstrates how to kickstart like a man.
  • Hey look, Story Games has migrated to Vanilla2!

(oh yes, I'm so clever on monday mornings...)
  • I just pulled the trigger on this announcement...

This Just In...From Gen Con 2012!
  • The New Tarot kickstarter hit it's goal, as well as it's stretch goal... which unlocked a new card. In brief:

* Old tarot: internal journey, numbering caps at 21
    * "New tarot": about a journey through the world
    * unlocked card: a new Fool, numbered 00
    * "And, yes, that's the same numbering you know from the roulette wheel."

O_O
  • This person over here on RPGNet has got an awesome "Make Stuff!" thread on creating 101 sample Mecha-based settings:
    http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?559565-101-Mecha-Settings

There's threads for Supers, Horror, etc (see the first post in the above thread). Lots of really awesome game ideas! Maybe we should start a similar concept thread later!
  • This is hardcore.

I just have to say I love living in the future. n_n
  • edited June 2012
    The Dungeon World team is doing an AMA on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/uzuny/were_the_creators_of_dungeon_worldask_us_anything/

This paragraph completely nails what I love about DW:
    In retrospect DW is a game that I've always kind of wanted to make. My first D&D experience was with my best friend in the last days of 2E. He sat me down and ran some kind of Dark Sun adventure but he didn't have the core rulebooks, so he just made that stuff up. I think in those moments I was so engaged that it's just kind of stuck with me, but the rules of D&D at that time (a few weeks later I bought the 3E books as they released) we're so fiddly and complex that I never quite got that moment back. Luckily I stuck with RPGs and years later after playing all kinds of different stuff I finally had the design chops to actually make the game that feels like the D&D I imagined as I played that first game.