games about wizards

edited June 2012 in Story Games
aside from classics like ars magica, mage, or sorcerer, what games out there feature wizards as the main choice of player-character?
i'm working on an Apocalypse World hack involving wizards.

Comments

• Hmm while not specifically about mages, the Burning Wheel magic system is cool. As for RPGs mainly having to do with mages, wizards or characters capable of magic I'd say Unknown Armies, Nobilis, Part-Time Gods, Witchcraft, Mortal Coil, and Nephilim.
  • UA is a great one. It lends itself very well to playbook ideas, too.
  • High-level D&D3.

:D
  • Hmm while not specifically about mages, the Burning Wheel magic system is cool. As for RPGs mainly having to do with mages, wizards or characters capable of magic I'd say Unknown Armies, Nobilis, Part-Time Gods, Witchcraft, Mortal Coil, and Nephilim.
    The Magic Burner is full of cool lifepaths for Wizards (schools and what not), not to mention wonderful traits.
  • solipsist
  • Eldritch Ass Kicking, bitches! *invisible guitar solo*
  • Dresden Files
  • Can we get another vote for Unknown Armies? Cause fuck, if there ever was a AW hack waiting to happen.
  • Seriously, Eldritch Ass Kicking should be your model, damn it.
  • Mortal Coil is REALLY cool. It has a cool way of generating exactly what kind of magic is present in your world, as the game goes on and powers are used.
  • edited June 2012
    DinDenver did one, I forget what it was called.
  • *sticks fingers in ears* LALALALALA
  • Do witches count?

In Witch Quest the only two character options are Witch and Cat.
  • Wilhelm, I think you could maybe mention your upcoming game which is unofficially about a certain wizardly school, despite officially being about boarding schools in general. ;P
  • Greg Stolze put out a supplement for Reign called Nain, that might best be described as the unholy child of Harry Potter and Game of Thrones.
  • There's also Witch Girls: Book of Shadows. That's about young witches going to school.
  • I third Unknown Armies getting an AW hack. One could consider Call of Cthulhu / Trail of Cthulhu / The Laundry / Insert HPL RPG Game of Choice as sort of about wizards.
  • Enter the Shadowside looks like a love-child of Mage and Geist (from White Wolf) done with 1/10th of the bloat. For an obvious labor of love, this looks like the author took to the time to get quite a number of things right.
  • Good news, everyone!
    Someone else at the AW forums is already working on a hack for UA; more importantly, their knowledge of and passion for UA surpasses mine, so I have parlayed my ideas into a hack that focuses on the more classic "pulp" elements of late 70s/early 80s fantasy adventure movies.
    Here's a link to UA/AW stuff - - check it out!
  • Rafu: Nah, I don't have anything to show, and The Academy has ended up behind The Daughters of Verona in my release schedule, which puts it some time next year.

But for those of you who want wizard schools, you could do worse than taking a look at http://wizardryandwitchcraft.sverok.net/main.html