Star Wars World - An Apocalypse World hack.

edited January 2013 in Story Games
Hello, I started hacking AW to accomodate star wars roleplaying last week and so far i really like what I've come up with. I've done up ten playbooks including two Jedi playbooks (Guardian and Consular) to reflect the different focuses of the Jedi order. I've kept the basic and peripheral moves the same with the exception of open your brain which I have replaced with a more star wars feeling trust in the force. I also replaced Weird with Attuned. I can't take all the credit here, I was heavily inspired by a fan made Scoundrel and Jedi playbook I found somewhere on the net but the file doesn't indicate the creator so I have no way of asking them if what I've borrowed is alright or not. Hopefully they will enjoy what I have come up with as much as I do and be glad it's inspiring people.

I playtested this on thursday and the session went VERY well. Hx was a blast and the first session was excellent. We liked it so much we've cancelled the game we were going to start to play this instead. Couldn't ask for a better compliment than that.

Please check it out and let me know what you think. Thank you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6hced5svmuv08x/Playbooks.pdf

P.S. These files look a lot better if you download them first as their are some specific fonts that don't turn out too well in Dropbox's preview mode.

Comments

• Holy shit. Replacing "When You Open Your Brain To the Psychic Maelstrom" with "When You Trust In the Force" is the most awesome thing I've ever seen in any AW hack. Seriously. It explains so much. "Luke, you've turned off your targeting computer..."

Matt
  • edited September 2012
    Holy shit. Replacing "When You Open Your Brain To the Psychic Maelstrom" with "When You Trust In the Force" is the most awesome thing I've ever seen in any AW hack. Seriously. It explains so much. "Luke, you've turned off your targeting computer..."
    I especially like it when applied to non force sensitive like the classic star wars "I've got a bad feeling about this". Or like when Han goes out searching for Luke on Hoth without any idea where he is, that's the move that let's Han find him. :)

• It looks nice! The layout of the playbooks really makes me think of Star Wars.

Did you change the basic principles and the MC-moves, or was it plain AW-style?

/ Nässe
  • edited September 2012
    I am still working on making up principles, SW specific moves and the like. That will take a lot more playtesting I think. Will definitley have to work in some lightside/darkside specific MC moves/principals. During the first session the Jedi Guardian used dissipate energy and was suffering from s-harm afterwards. He tried to act under fire to continue fighting but failed so I simply "offered an opportunity with a cost" and said "if you give into your anger and hate, you can be free of the s-harm. To my surprise he said no and it cost him. I was pleased as punch.
  • Keep posting :)
  • Keep posting :)
    Sure! Here's a copy of my quick session recap from the AW forum.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Last night we had a Human Jedi Consular, Zabrak Jedi Guardian, Rodian Scoundrel and Togruta Operative. This is the most diverse group I've ever seen in star wars and I think that has a lot to do with a lack of species traits, players could feel free to play any species and not worry about what stat bonus and negatives they suffer. So already +1 goodness.

We came up with a game in the New Republic (pre-yuuzhan vong) where the two jedi were being sent to the neutral system Efrin to open negotiations to have them join the republic, there were also reports of Imperial interest in the system. The Hx exercise went wonderfully, best part of the night easily as the Consular and Scoundrel went way back and were old comrades and the Operative ended up being force senstive, which now has that player strongly considering taking the Jedi path one day, awesomecause!

The session opened up with the Scoundrel failing his "smuggling" roll as he attempt to smuggle the Jedi onto the planet beneath imperial notice but they were brought out of hyperspace by an interdictor class star destroyer, boarded and a large blaster battle ensued on board. eventually the boarders were disabled or killed, the boarding pods ejected and the Consular used force mastery to implant a large scale illusion that their ship blew up which allowed the group to slip away onto the planet undetected.

Was a great session, plenty of fun and off the cuff moves on my part but the MC moves from AW worked quite well in SW action and everyone seemed to have a lot of fun!

• Seems like a blast! :)

• edited September 2012
    Pretty sweet! Good job with layout and everything. I like the use of legal paper. My older brother used to make his AD&D character sheets on legal paper so that brought back some memories. Looks like it would be a lot of fun! :)
  • Great stuff! I like the illustrations a lot.
  • I'm just seconding everyone else's enthusiasm about this – an excellent treatment of the Star Wars material.
  • It sounds cool. As soon as I'm not running around like a chicken sans head, I'll have to give this a good read.
  • You should call it Star World.
  • edited September 2012
    You should call it Star World.
    hehe Yeah I have been getting some flack on the title from my playtesters too. I think this is a "rose by any other name" scenario. It's just a title. :)
    Great stuff! I like the illustrations a lot.
    I can't take much credit there. They're mostly from the old revised star wars rpg (which I loved) and I just made them black and white to better match the Apocalypse World style of playbook cover art.
    an excellent treatment of the Star Wars material.
    I appreciate that, I'm a huge fan and wanted to make a game in the star wars setting my friends and I could enjoy. If anyone else uses this and has a good time, that's just a great bonus!

• I'm thinking of adding in an astrogation move in there somewhere too. Do you guys think this is important or better to leave that as a simple act under fire roll or leave it up to the fiction or MC to decide when plotting hyperspace jumps? I do love those moments when the Falcon is about to jump but the hyperdrive fails, they're kinda awesome. Hmmmmm...
  • edited September 2012
    deleted post
  • I'm thinking of adding in an astrogation move in there somewhere too. Do you guys think this is important or better to leave that as a simple act under fire roll or leave it up to the fiction or MC to decide when plotting hyperspace jumps? I do love those moments when the Falcon is about to jump but the hyperdrive fails, they're kinda awesome. Hmmmmm...
    That's cool. Makes me think of the Undertake A Perilous Journey move from Dungeon World. Could really add some interesting aspects to hyperspace jumps.
  • edited September 2012
    I don't think you need a special move for astrogation unless you think it'll come up a lot. All you really need is a little bit of a bump for suggesting hard choices or failure consequences. But most of the basic MC moves accomplish that reasonably well.

The only thing you might want to worry about is how you want to deal with time during astrogation. It's supposed to take quite a while.

I guess if you gave someone a hard choice and they chose to make a bad jump and then correct it later, you could have one of the potential consequences of that choice be that all of the front countdown timers bump up a tick, because they've lost a considerable chunk of time.

If you did it as an astrogation special move, it should be something like "When you try to complete a hyperspace jump under bad circumstances (during the heat of battle, with a damaged ship, smuggling items on the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs, etc)...", rather than something they have to do every time.
  • Seems like the empire is all iPads and the rebellion is all VW Bugs. Astrogation is a matter of math, not a problem. The problem is that you're flying in surplus, ding and dent, or outdated ships held together by TLC and emergency spot welds, not to mention you did half the wiring yorself.
  • edited September 2012
    That's cool. Makes me think of the Undertake A Perilous Journey move from Dungeon World. Could really add some interesting aspects to hyperspace jumps.
    This would be an interesting move to parallel an astrogration move. Deserves some thought.

The only thing you might want to worry about is how you want to deal with time during astrogation. It's supposed to take quite a while...If you did it as an astrogation special move, it should be something like "When you try to complete a hyperspace jump under bad circumstances (during the heat of battle, with a damaged ship, smuggling items on the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs, etc)...", rather than something they have to do every time.
    This makes a lot of sense. If you have an hour or so to spare to do the calculations then there's almost no risk involved, which is probably how most people fly in star wars and keep it safe. But when the pressure is on and you need to plot a jump in 60 seconds, well now, that's a whole different story. I think for now I will use act under fire but we'll see what playtesters have to say I guess. I also like the idea of advancing front clocks, it's an cool idea I need to think more on. In all honesty I've spent so much time doing up the player side of this game, but I need to look at the MC a little more.
  • Yeah, I was just gonna say, as you find holes in the design while you're playtesting, look to the other hacks in addition to AW core for ideas. What you have is awesome but there's no need to reinvent the wheel entirely since there are some great hacks out there entirely which change core assumptions of AW in interesting ways.

Barf force,
    Matt
  • You should call it Star World.
    I'd go plural: Star Worlds.

Although it's a silly title when you think about it really.
  • How about

"Star Worlds A New Hack ?

Then you could publish supplements...
    The Empire Strikes Hack?
    Hack of the Jedi?

Seriously though, this looks really good.
    Isn't that making a soft move...
    MC: "Hey, Han, your astrodrive is whining at you as you punch in the coordinates. It'll be fine for now, but, uh, maybe you should get it looked at?"

Han: "Yeah, yeah, sure thing!"

*never fixes it*

... plus activating their stuff's downside?
    MC: "Uh, Han... you remember that whine from the astrodrive... Well... it finally crapped out on you..."

I'd imagine ships have gear tags like anything, so, sure, [fast][unreliable] for the Falcon.

- Alex

• I'd imagine ships have gear tags like anything, so, sure, [fast][unreliable] for the Falcon.
    [fast][unreliable][smuggle]
  • I'd imagine ships have gear tags like anything, so, sure, [fast][unreliable] for the Falcon. - Alex
    Ships have tags just like vehicles do in Apoc World. So yes, this could be an easy way to pull it off. The soft move is a fine way to do this, I see no problems with that. But in a tense situation when time is of the essence, I think calling for a "act under fire" move is perfectly acceptable. It is a versatile move for a reason. :)

• How about

"Star Worlds A New Hack ?

Then you could publish supplements...
    The Empire Strikes Hack?
    Hack of the Jedi?

Seriously though, this looks really good.
    Hilarious! :D

• This is really cool!

A few things that sticks out to me for some reason:

1. Some more focus on space travel/piloting/dogfights could be desirable. I'm not sure what's called for here, whether it's custom moves or tags, but worth exploring. That said, standard AW moves already handle chases and similar events pretty well. (Ah, I see this one came up already!)

2. Can you play a droid? Just saying "I'm a droid" and using a standard playbook could work, but there's room to explore here. Ownership/slavery issues, memories (erased, implanted, false/real, someone else's, or carried dormant) could be lots of fun to play with.

Are hacking/tinkering with technology attempts just acting under fire? That could be unsatisfying in a more technological setting... but then again, maybe not. This could be covered already too.

3. Lightsaber duels between Jedi might also ask for some special treatment. For instance, is it satisfying just to roll+Hard for a lightsaber battle? I've always felt in the movies (the original ones, at least) that a lightsaber duel was more a battle of the minds, or of faith (strength in the Force), so at the very least I'd want to make a new +attuned lightsaber duel move, so it's about how +attuned you are, not how +hard you are (which is probably fine for scaring criminals in a bar with a lightsaber, granted).

Finally, a very minor comment:

If I were to do AW Star Wars ("AW-SW?"), I would change the name of the "Seize by Force" move. It could be potentially confusing, since the word "Force" has certain meanings specific to Star Wars, easier to keep things clear and simple.

Great stuff! I'll keep this bookmarked. Thinking about the MC side of the equation some more is bound to be interesting.

• 3. Lightsaber duels between Jedi might also ask for some special treatment. For instance, is it satisfying just to roll+Hard for a lightsaber battle? I've always felt in the movies (the original ones, at least) that a lightsaber duel was more a battle of the minds, or of faith (strength in the Force), so at the very least I'd want to make a new +attuned lightsaber duel move, so it's about how +attuned you are, not how +hard you are (which is probably fine for scaring criminals in a bar with a lightsaber, granted).
    I don't know if rolling +attuned for lightsaber duels should be a basic move though. Maybe it's somewhere in your playbook though.
  • The Jedi Consular can use "defender of the republic" to rull +attuned and get some substantial benefits in a battle. Besides, what is satisfying to the player? Rolling more dice or having a vivid description of their single roll? Seize by Force can be used to frickin' take over a town in apocalypse world with the roll of a single pair of dice, what makes the action awesome and huge in scope is how the action gets described. Remember, with AW you can zoom in or out as much as needed per roll. So I think " just to roll+Hard for a lightsaber battle?" is potenitally an amazing battle if treated properly.
  • edited September 2012
    2. Can you play a droid? Just saying "I'm a droid" and using a standard playbook could work, but there's room to explore here. Ownership/slavery issues, memories (erased, implanted, false/real, someone else's, or carried dormant) could be lots of fun to play with..
    I'm working on a Droid playbook which I will release eventually. For now though, using the existing playbooks could work, with an alternate "tool kit" required for repairs instead of "medic kit" used on organics. I suppose the Workspace rules would work too, just gotta hope someone around can fix your chassis if you get damaged.
    Are hacking/tinkering with technology attempts just acting under fire? That could be unsatisfying in a more technological setting... but then again, maybe not.
    This could be covered already too. It depends on the situation, typically I see it as a act under fire roll, with the droid companion being especially useful for. If I feel in playtesting that this isn't enough, I will expand it. We had a big repair scene happen in the first session and the person performing it was actually very happy with being able to resolve it in a simple roll.

• If tinkering were handled with the savvyhead's workshop move, there could always be an or you're acting under fire to do it quickly/without complication option for when it makes sense.
  • During the first session the Jedi Guardian used dissipate energy and was suffering from s-harm afterwards. He tried to act under fire to continue fighting but failed so I simply "offered an opportunity with a cost" and said "if you give into your anger and hate, you can be free of the s-harm. To my surprise he said no and it cost him. I was pleased as punch.
    That is awesome.

I've read a fair amount of what you posted, and I like it. It makes we want to play. But giving them a chance to give in to their anger and hate is awesome.
  • The session opened up with the Scoundrel failing his "smuggling" roll as he attempt to smuggle the Jedi onto the planet beneath imperial notice but they were brought out of hyperspace by an interdictor class star destroyer, boarded and a large blaster battle ensued on board. eventually the boarders were disabled or killed, the boarding pods ejected and the Consular used force mastery to implant a large scale illusion that their ship blew up which allowed the group to slip away onto the planet undetected.
    So, the illusion was "inserting information into the force?" I guess I've never really figured out Force Mastery or Augury upon which it's based. Opening a window into the Force (or Psychic Maelstrom)? What's that mean? I realize that, particularly with the psychic maelstrom, it's intended to be interpreted in play, but I don't even have ideas on possibilities for some of these options. For example, inserting information into the force to make an illusion. I would have thought that that would only affect people reaching into the force, but your description makes me think that it basically rewrote the perceptions of everyone in the area (or possibly everywhere?) to believe that they were destroyed.

I'm not disagreeing with what you did. I'm just trying to understand how people see these moves and what some of their possibilities are, I guess.
  • Thank you for your comments Dr_Stone.

I can appreciate your confusion on the matter, I still find Augury and Force Mastery extremely confusing. For me, I see it as capable of almost anything, so if the pc describes what the end result is they wish, we simply look at the list and see if anything can be used to fit. For the grand illusion I had him choose "Insert information into the Force" which we interpreted as inserting in the minds of those seeing them, choose that it was stable with no bleeding, which I explained would prevent people from remembering the event differently later and make it a lasting illusions, and I *think* the other option chosen was that it reached broadly into the force so that it would cover the members on board the star destroyer and the pilots in the TIE fighters around them.

Even though Augury confuses me, it has some GREAT potential. For every option the PC doesn't choose from the second list, they are giving you a golden opportunity to do something with. "It isn't stable and contained, with no bleeding? Well then I guess the bleeding is the blood coming out of your's and your target's ears, you both take 1-harm ap." That sort of shit. :)

In the next few days I will be posting my Song of Ice and Fire hack, if that interests you then keep your eyes peeled for it. :D
  • Dude.

DUDE.
  • You know, giving in to your hate and anger makes me think of Darkest Self from Monsterhearts...
  • I'd definitely realized that the unchosen options were golden opportunities, but the idea of interpreting the bleeding literally and as applying to the characters is cool.

I think I like your approach of saying effectively, "What do you want to do and we'll see if the Psychic Maelstrom/Force can do that for you," instead of trying to define what the move itself does. Or maybe not so much like, but see it as a way of dealing with not knowing what the move does by reading it.

I know you're supposed to play to find out what the PM is, but I've had trouble with figuring out how one does that. I guess this is a way to do that. You can add "observations" of what the PM does even without knowing what was going on behind the scenes. Maybe over time you construct a pattern and learn what the PM is.

I suppose that a miss on this move gives you a choice. Maybe it just means that they missed this time. You tried to reach through the PM to find your son lost in the wilderness? Yeah, that could have worked. People do that, but today, there's just too much interference. You can't find him. But maybe sometimes it means the PM doesn't do that. You tried to open a window into the PM so that you could step from this cave in the wilderness back to your hold and your rolled a miss? Yeah, the PM doesn't do that. Sorry.
  • You know, giving in to your hate and anger makes me think of Darkest Self from Monsterhearts...
    THAT has some serious potential....Hmmmmm
  • After thinking on it for a while I have finally decided to comment on an issue that I see. This may very well be just me, so grain of salt and all that. Using the noble playbook, you cannot make princess Leah. Using the Trooper playbook, you cannot make Boba Fett. both of them should fall into the playbooks rather easily, yet they have no gang/retinue. In fact most of Star Wars is not about how many you bring, it is about individuals of great importance making a difference. I think that stepping away from the AW view of things and more into the Star Wars view would help the game feel like Star Wars. When I was running my group through chargen one of my players got pissed that he had to have a squad. He just wanted to be a badass in armor, and now he was leading a group of ten dudes around.

Please note that i really enjoy what is there. I think that the playbooks are beautiful, but the moves and other bits are still too much AW and not enough SW. You can play a fun game with these rules, but the game does not feel like the movies. not yet.

Also a not on the force powers. starting with two is good, but in my group everyone immediately took the move that gives you two more powers. i don't know if that is unbalanced or not, but I have always felt that if there is a power/skill/talent/move that EVERYONE takes every time that is a problem. I will have to see more power usage in gameplay to know for certain though.
  • edited January 2013
    Hey gtroc,

I appreciate the feedback, especially based on the fact your group has tried this out, I'm really flattered.

I can totally see your points about the playbooks maybe not lining up perfectly with the movies. In regards to Leia, you're right, she never seems to have a retinue with her but Amidala always does. So maybe I can change the Retinue/Fortunes move to be an optional choice for them. That way it accommodates both types of Nobles more precisely. I don't know why you think you couldn't make Boba Fett with the Trooper. The Trooper is a bad-ass in armour who is amazing at conflict. The choice to take a squad is just that, a choice, no one has to take that if they don't want to.

I have been playing around with the basic moves in theory, I definitely want this game to feel as much like star wars as possible. I have added/edited a few basic moves in my most recent playtest documents, which can be found here.

Your concern regarding the Jedi moves has been noted by me already in my game and I made the changes to the latest docs. I had two Jedi running around with dissipate energy and one also had force healing, that was too many rare gifts in one game for me, so I changed this around. Jedi now start off with both Telekinesis and Mind Trick and as an additional move can add *1* more power to their playbook. I don't know if this will solve the problem, but I sure hope so.

Again, thanks for the observations, they have definitely been heard.
  • edited January 2013
    Hey guys, for anyone still interested. :)

Here are the most current versions of the playbooks. Most notable changes are instead of each playbook having a Sex Move they now all have Death Moves. That one last thing you get to do if your character has the unfortunate luck of passing away within the campaign. I think it suits the Star Wars feel more so than the sex moves.

We also revamped the way the Force works considerably. I think the end result is cleaner and even more cool than before.

Let me know what you think. Thank you.

• This makes me really, really want to die as an operative. Big time.
  • This makes me really, really want to die as an operative. Big time.
    haha! That's great to hear. I think character death should always be momentous and world-shattering, so why not add a cool mechanical effect to it? :)

• edited January 2013
    By popular demand. I introduce...The Bounty Hunter.

• So, with the two Jedi becoming Force Spirits, it says that you both mark experience if someone does what you tell them to. Is that supposed to apply to your new character? (I guess that's the only interpretation I can come up with, but it seemed weird because it kind of implied that the Jedi marked experience, which doesn't necessarily seem helpful.)
  • Also, the taking of harm to get force hold... I can see how that limits use. Is that why you did it? Or do you see it as being something out of the source material? It kind of feels contrary to the sources to me, but maybe I'm not thinking along the same lines you are?
  • Let me know what you think. Thank you.
    These are great! I do miss the pictures though.