2012 Golden Geek Nominees Revealed + Voting Instructions

edited October 2012 in Stuff to Watch
Check it:

RPG Geek have announced the nominees for the 2012 Golden Geek awards. These nominees were selected by popular vote, and it's pretty exciting to see the indie presence. Nominees for game of the year:
13th Age
Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Dungeon World
Hollowpoint
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
Microscope
Monsterhearts
Night's Black Agents
The One Ring

I'm not sure about "The One Ring," but I'm pretty sure every other name on that list has been praised lovingly on this sight at one point or another. If you've got love for some of these games, and you have the opportunity to vote (there are some restrictions on who can vote, to avoid publishers spam-voting their own products), it's worth checking out the link: Golden Geeks.

Full Disclosure: I've got a horse in this race, as Monsterhearts is on that Top 10 list.

What awesome experiences have you had with these games?
Which ones are you curious about but haven't checked out yet?
Which ones are just crossing your radar now?

Comments

• Actually, I would be remiss not to do some shout-outs to the other nomination categories as well:

RPG: Best Artwork & Pres.
    Ashen Stars
    Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple
    Imperial Histories
    Marvel Heroic Roleplaying: Basic Game
    Mutants & Masterminds Hero's Handbook
    Night's Black Agents
    The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
    Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
    Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
    Savage Worlds Deluxe

RPG: Best Supplement
    Bookhounds of London Limited Edition Package
    Cthulhu by Gaslight 3rd Edition
    Fiasco Companion
    Imperial Histories
    Masks: 1,000 Memorable NPCs for Any Roleplaying Game
    Never Unprepared: The Complete Game Master's Guide to Session Prep
    Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Advanced Race Guide
    Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary Box
    Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
    Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition

RPG: Best Podcast
    3.5 Private Sanctuary
    Actual People, Actual Play
    The Canon Puncture Show
    The D6 Generation - Dice Are Our Vice
    Fear the Boot
    The Jank Cast
    Jennisodes
    Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff
    This Just In...From Gen Con!
    The Walking Eye Podcast
  • The inquisitive reader should know that voting is limited to people who support the RPG Geek site financially, so it's not an open vote for the idly curious. (Nothing wrong with that, just making mention to save others the trip.)
  • I just started playing The One Ring and, based on one session, it's really pretty fun. I know Ralph Mazza has a lot of good things to say about it, too.

('gratz on/to all the noms)
  • edited October 2012
    As usual, voting is restricted to either supporting users (having a supporter badge from any year is sufficient) or voters who pay a one-time 20 GeekGold fee, or users who have purchased an avatar.
    You don't necessarily have to support RPGGeek financially to vote. You can get the necessary geek gold (the currency of the 'geek) for all kinds of things, e.g. uploading game photos, reviews, session reports, articles, from tips, modding submissions, contests, etc.
  • I was a Dungeon Architect backer on its Kickstarter, have played & run a bunch of it and I am starting a new campaign of it this month but I am a little confused why Dungeon World is on that list - it's not really out yet. I guess it's the "red book" edition?

A great list regardless. I've had too many awesome experiences from DCCRPG, Dungeon World, Microscope and Monsterhearts to talk about just one. The only two I haven't either played or read yet are Hollowpoint and Night's Black Agents. Probably fix that soon.

Friend me (mgagan) on BoardGameGeek or RPGGeek so I can see see the cut of your jib! ;)
  • Eero,

The original poster in that announcement I linked to says:
    From Dave: If you are a well-meaning Geek and want to vote but don't meet the criteria above... please contact me via Geekmail and we'll figure something out.
    So: you can definitely vote even without being an active site contributor or someone who has spent money... you just need to contact the organizer directly. :)
  • That's a rather gratifying list, but Night's Black Agents is up against 13th Age - vote splittage. It's high-class problem though.

I'm glad to see other games I like and I've played are listed, for example Monsterhearts and Fiasco.
  • So many excellent things!

Dave is really nice; if you are burning to vote just ping him. Better yet contribute to the site and earn enough credit to qualify.
  • So many excellent things!

Dave is really nice; if you are burning to vote just ping him. Better yet contribute to the site and earn enough credit to qualify.
    Yes, I got in high dudgeon when I thought I had to pay to vote a while ago, but he is most approachable.

The award is well worth winning - it's a massive solid piece of metal rather than something that looks like a primary school sports prize.

• edited October 2012
    Just wanted to ping this thread, as there are scant hours left to vote in the RPGGeek Golden Geek Awards.

Lots of awesome stuff. There are "Story Games locals" in all four categories (Game of the Year, Best Supplement, Best Art, Best Podcast).
  • I voted for me, and some other dudes.