I'm working a D&D-esque game that smashes together all of my favorite rules from a bunch of different games into what I like to call a Fantasy Frankenstein. The primary body parts being sewn together are from D&D, World of Dungeons (Streets of Marienburg), and Old School Hack, with a little TSOY and Fiasco thrown in for good measure.
Inspired by Dungeon World's Perilous Journey procedure, I'm toying with the idea of specific procedures for common actions taken during adventuring. Here's one I'm brainstorming. Let me know how it tastes or if you spot any problems.
When you Hunker Down to rest in the wilderness or in the bowels of a dungeon, first you Make Camp, then you Break Bread, then you Take Watch. After you’ve Taken Watch, you must wait at least twelve hours before attempting to hunker down and rest again
When you Make Camp, designate someone to make a Wisdom (Survival) roll.
- On a Full Success, get +2 to the Take Watch roll.
- On a Partial Success or a Fumble, get +1.
- On a Failure, get -2.
When you Break Bread, if you have any rations, you can consume one to be eligible to Heal Up and Level Up. This is also an opportunity for role-playing your Catalysts and Connections. After any role-playing is concluded, consider each of your Catalysts and decide if each of them is still relevant to your character and interesting to you. If you want to, you can drop a Catalyst and replace it with a new one that makes sense for your character. Likewise, consider each of your Connections and discuss with the other player if the Connection still makes sense. You can drop, add, or change Connections as you see fit.
When you Take Watch, designate someone to make a Wisdom (Awareness) roll.
- On a Full Success, you avoid detection and get some much needed rest. Everyone that consumed a ration can Level Up and Heal Up.
- On a Partial Success, you avoid detection but your rest is troubled. Everyone can Level Up and Heal Up, but your Heal Up die is a d4 instead of the normal d8.
- On a Failure, your rest is cut short by an interruption and you fail to see it coming. You can’t Level Up or Heal Up.
- On a Fumble, your rest is cut short an interruption, but your watchman spots the threat before it gets the drop on you. You still can’t Level Up or Heal Up though.
When you Heal Up, roll 1d8+Constitution and heal that many HP. If your rest was troubled, roll 1d4+Constitution instead. If someone in the group has the Treatment Skill, add that character’s Level to your roll.
When you Level Up, if you have enough XP to do so, you get to increase your level and upgrade your character’s abilities per the Level Up chart.
When you rest in a safe place with a warm bed and a meal, you can Break Bread, Heal Up, and Level Up no problem.