[World of Dungeons] Dungeon Girls!

edited January 2013 in Actual Play
So...building on my success with the Moppets delving using World of Dungeons, I've started a couple of groups for kids. Dungeon Girls is for my older 7th grade daughter, her best friend, and three good friends from her old school (she started another middle school this fall). I'm running this group every other week, alternating with Dungeon Kids, which is for Junior Moppet and a couple of her fellow third-graders. Today we had the second Dungeon Girls game. I'm happy to report it's going swimmingly. Two girls have zero experience with gaming before this, one had some D&D experience, and the bestie has had a smattering of experience, some of it with me and the moppets. They're all super enthused, bring a lot of energy to the table, and are all busily drawing their characters, pets, gear, you name it. They all want pets, actually, but since only the Ranger and the Druid have the Pet Special Ability, they're hitting the markets with their loot hoping to buy exotic animals they can train.

The Dungeon Girls are fielding a Druid (ranger-wizard mix), a "Guild Assassin" (ranger-thief mix), a Ranger (with a motherfuckin' LION for a pet), a Wizard, and a Paladin (fighter-cleric mix). So far they've been hacking their way through cultists and lesser demons, and they've spent quite a bit of time shopping. They've been great about deliberating and negotiating. Today as their fifth arrived to generate her character, they decided on their own that they wanted to adopt the Dungeon World notion of only one of any class being played, so as to protect the uniqueness of each character. I hadn't told them about that or suggested it; the idea was completely organic.

The Dungeon Kids only have the two players so far, since their third hasn't made it to a session yet, but they're each running two characters. Junior Moppet has her Thief, who just hit third level today, and a Wizard. Her bestie has a Ranger and a straight up Assassin (thief-fighter mix). Last weekend they played for five hours straight, and truth be told, they're incredibly good at embracing and suggesting adverse outcomes.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. More kudos to John Harper. World of Dungeons is pitch-perfect for this set--I've played with adults too, and it's golden, but the kids, damn...they're eating this up. The parents are excited too. It's really, really fun.

Comments

• Wow, this is great! Thanks for continuing to share your stories, Blake.
  • I'll just leave this here: ♥
  • This is the best.
  • Yea! I love hearing about these games. I wish I'd had World of Dungeons in 7th grade (and/or an adult to run things instead of me).

Thanks, Blake
  • Thanks. What's really caught me off-guard is the sheer enthusiasm. The girls at my daughter's old school are asking my wife (a teacher there) about the next game practically every day. My girls like WoD better than Faery's Tale, in part because the high fantasy setting apparently feels more accessible, but I think the rules offer more transparent structure. Anyway, yeah, enthusiasm... The Dungeon Girl Ranger player came with her character and lion drawn, colored, and cut out and pasted on brown construction paper. Everyone's drawing the content of their backpacks.

For the Dungeon Kids, I had a great moment where they came across a room with a fountain in it, and I described a weathered statue of an ancient goddess who turned out to be the Goddess of the Moon, Hope, and Travel. The well had gold coins the characters could take, but a Lore roll determined that the Goddess demanded something back to help give future travellers hope. The crafty Ranger traded essentially useful but common things. But then Junior Moppet's Wizard declared, "I give her my life," and rolled a success (WIS) to be marked by the Goddess as a future priestess (can multiclass as Cleric next level). There's tremendous freedom in the way the mechanic drives at creative outcome choices but still accommodates the spontaneous appearance of awesome.
  • And yeah, I'm kinda gushing. It's so damn rewarding to share this with them. I'm training a whole pod of awesome gamer girls.
  • And yeah, I'm kinda gushing.
    And so you should be. This is awesome stuff. “I give her my life” is the coolest thing for anyone to say ever.

• “I give her my life” is the coolest thing for anyone to say ever.
    +1

I'm pretty close to straight-up demanding that you play with these girls more often so I have more amazing stuff to read.
  • Very cool! Love reading about the adventures of the Moppets.

How do they like playing in separate groups?
  • They like it a lot. The older girls are all seventh-grade, all from the same social circle last year, so they bring a lot of girlfriend energy. Number Five, the Paladin, chose to play a boy character, for which she received a few raised eyebrows that gave way to responses of "Cool! A boy in the group!" The Wizard, whose player is really quiet, brought her own polyhedrals this time. The Assassin is already a die-hard gamer who apparently hangs out in MUDs; she declared she loves dungeoning and would play every day if she could.

The younger set hasn't fully mobilized yet, as the (actual) boy player couldn't make it to the sessions we've had thus far. On the other hand, the two girls (both third-graders) play together really well, so Junior Moppet's tendency toward elaborate dramatic description isn't getting under Elder Moppet's skin. It'll be interesting to see what energy the boy brings.

Some cool moments from the Dungeon Girls game:

- The Wizard taking an excess-of-level dose of quicksilver to summon her ice fox spirit and (failing CON roll) being sheathed in ice and frost as the careless spirit froze one of the demons fighting the party.

- The Paladin shield-rushing the frozen demon and (critical success) exploding through it in a scatter of frozen demon chunks.

- The Ranger throwing a dagger at an onrushing demon and (critical success) pegging it right in the third eye to kill it instantly.

- The Druid attempting a sword strike against the possessed priest threatening the Guild Assassin and (failure) hitting her friend instead as the priest swung the Guild Assassin around as a shield.

- The shivering Wizard trying to use her Candle cantrip to burn the demon's hand so it'd let go of the Guild Assassin and (failure) lighting the Assassin's sleeve on fire instead (for an HP of damage).

Another cool moment from the Dungeon Kids game:

- The two girls going into another room to plot their attack on the cave with the giant spiders "so I wouldn't know what they were going to do and it'd be a surprise." The plan turned out to be to loan the Wizard the Resist Poison ring, have her take a torch out into the middle of the room and taunt the spiders. When they attacked, the Ranger would pick them off using her bow. If any spiders got a bite in, the ring would neutralize their poison. Meanwhile, the Thief stealthed in to liberate the captive gnome hanging in the spiders' web. The strategy actually worked pretty well. I'm impressed.
  • Hey Blake, what kind of prep are you / the Dungeon Girls DM doing prior to play? Are you making the maps / dungeons on the fly in response to the player's flags, or have something loosely sketched out (like one of Marshall's dungeon starters), or something more traditionally OSR? Just curious to the play process is all.

Awesome APs by the way! Thanks so much for sharing!
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks, Noofy.

I've downloaded a ton of fantasy maps and one-page dungeons from the net. I've hardly done any prep, in part because almost all of these players are too new to know what their flags are, though I can make some guesses based on character picks and some of the behavior I've seen in play. For monsters, I'm going with very rough, low HP opposition. There's a lot of flavor description and then I cue off the die roll for fictional results. I had a big bad in the possessed priest corpse last Dungeon Girls session that was basically immune to being killed, but not to being hacked apart, burned up, etc. In that case, I didn't even bother tracking HP. Positioning details and the associated tactical maps haven't seemed necessary yet, but I'll probably try them at some point, if only for flavor. Then I just award everyone XP.

For the Dungeon Kids, I riffed a few things in response to their choices. When they investigated the cult that sent assassins to kill their characters, they ended up at a dockside warehouse and encountered a saw golem. I gave that monster and its mechanical claw- and saw-tipped arms HP and an armor rating, then gave the warehouse a certain number of HP to reflect the saw golem sawing up the wood and converting it to lethal wooden shrapnel it blasted at the characters. The players had to deal with a choking haze of sawdust and (eventually) the warehouse collapsing around them to drop them into the murky waters of the harbor. Junior Moppet drove the story hard by narrating all sorts of setbacks for her thief Mist.

I imagine I'll have to do more prep geared at providing hooks and addressing identified flags for both groups. The Dungeon Girls have definitely made an enemy of the Cult of the Demon Klash'tuu, for instance. They're quite gleeful about that, so I expect the cult will become an ongoing nemesis. Oh yeah, I do try to prep treasure, if only to offer interesting magical items and make sure everyone eventually gets to grab something cool.
  • I'm impressed that you say your youngest daughter drives the story hard by narrating setbacks. That goes against everything I know about kids, especially younger ones. Can you describe some of the setbacks she imposed upon herself?
  • edited October 2012
    Let's see...

This last session with the Saw Golem: Junior Moppet is playing Mist the Thief and Amber the Wizard. Junior Bestie is playing Rhavaniel the Ranger (her name gleaned from the Story Games Names book, which both groups consider exceedingly cool). Mist enters the warehouse stealthily (mixed success). The brass, multi-armed Golem doesn't notice her, but notices Amber and Rhavaniel at the front door, so it begins to saw and chaw wood. It can't move since it's mounted on a heavy base without means of locomotion. A moment later it opens its mouth and begins to shoot huge splinters of wood at the intruders and around the room generally, sort of like a lawn sprinkler. As it does so, clouds of sawdust billow from its vents.

Mist dives for an overturned table to use as a shield against the flying splinters. She does so (success), but then narrates that the clouds of sawdust are making it impossible to see, further that she's having a hard time breathing because the sawdust is so thick there. She proceeds to narrate how Mist can't breathe and passes out while the maddened machine is tearing the building apart for ammo. This was all Junior Moppet, not prompted by me other than my description of the saw golem and its actions.

Tying a wet scarf over her mouth and nose, Rhavaniel attempts a daredevil rescue. She races in through the front door and (success) tumbles from post to post and around slashing mechanical arms to reach the fallen Mist. Once there, she heaves Mist onto her back and (partial success) dodges the saws that tear up that part of the floor, but as the saw golem cuts up a support beam, the entire warehouse collapses under the golem's weight, casting everyone into the murky waters of the harbor.

The golem sinks like a rock, out of scene. Wreckage and debris spills around the two characters, and Rhavaniel swims to avoid it and reach the surface, but (partial success) loses her grip on the unconscious Mist. I'm ready to have Mist drifting away into the murk and get ready for another roll to see if the ranger can retrieve her--

But Junior Moppet gleefully declares that a giant piece of debris thumps into Mist and carries her into the cold depths of the lake. Rhavaniel's player actually gasped on hearing this, and grabbed for the dice to try another desperate rescue. Things looked pretty grim, and Junior Moppet was beaming.

Now, she was also playing the Wizard, who was still waiting outside, and even though neither of Amber's spirits had domains suitable to this situation, Junior Moppet decided after a little OOC discussion to try to summon something else to help.

"A river spirit of some kind?" I asked.

"A river DRAGON!" she shot back. "A big one!"

OK, so she made her roll, successfully summoned a huge Chinese-style water dragon who towered over her and got all haughty-like. You know, the whole "who DARES summon ME?" 'tude. I ask if Amber is going to negotiate or take a firm hand with this thing. Junior Moppet notices Amber has Command, so she replies, "I just TELL it how things are gonna be." Then she adopts a (for her) deep and commanding tone--her Batman voice--and essentially tells the spirit to get the fuck down there and rescue Mist RIGHT GODDAMN NOW (my idiom here, not hers). I don't remember what exactly she said, but it was something like "Go and rescue my friend Mist and bring her here to me safe, and *don't mess around*!"

Her roll comes to a solid 11, so while not a crit, I have the dragon obey and affect a somewhat chastised air, sort of "Whoa, I didn't know it was YOU. Of course I'll help, yessiree." With a crit, the dragon might have apologized with a free summoning token or maybe even become one of her "permanent" spirits.

So Mist is rescued, the dragon dismissed, and the city guard finally shows. But they're polite, 'cause, you know, they saw the freakin' DRAGON there a moment ago.

• Awesome!

1) The saw golem? DOPE. Who built it and why was it in that warehouse?

2) I'm thoroughly impressed by Junior Moppet's willingness to compromise her character. My adult male players would have a hard time throwing their characters into that much trouble. Do you think it helped that she was playing two characters? Do you think it helped that she doesn't have the preconceived notion that the GM is out to get her? Is she pretty confident that regardless of how the dice land, her character will survive?
  • 1) I haven't worked out much other than that it was a trap. They were investigating a weird cult that sent assassins to try to kill them. Possibly related to the Cult of Klash'tuu in the DG game.

2) I've been wondering that myself. She was practically weaned on Justice League cartoons, then Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes, then Young Justice and Avatar, so I'm betting she believes her hero will survive and prevail no matter how bad things get--and she knows the best stories are those in which things get worse. In other words, she's eight years old, and I bet character death or serious maiming is not on the table for her as part of the social contract. It's not for me for any of them. I'll beat them up, throw adversity at them, scare them, maybe scratch up their characters a little, but none of these kids' characters or pets will die unless they choose to let it happen. I'm guessing that security gives Junior Moppet a lot of creative freedom to make things worse.

I sure as hell hope she doesn't think the GM is out to get her character. That isn't the kind of game I want here, barring a little fun and cheesy veneer of competition now and then.
  • edited October 2012
    Very interesting. Kids teach me new stuff every day! :D

To me, this was a huge distinction between traditional games where death is supposed to be looming over you and story-games that reward the player for compromising their characters. I think I even (wrongly) defined it that way once. While I now know that self-compromising is not the definition of a story game, I believe that once a game promotes self-compromising, it inherently becomes a story-game since the player is no longer role-playing and is instead story-playing.
  • Come to think of it, I did give her extra experience for making things interesting for Mist.

Yeah, kids are like mini-universities, aren't they?
  • That's awesome Blake, and sorta what I expected based on the APs, so now to the next question...
    As you develop the emerging world together, how to you funnel the sandbox? I'm sure the girls just know what they want to do next, but for instance, if an ancient temple dungeon is called for, do you choose one that appeals from the collection? Do you let the girls make a Lore roll and choose one of their own? Once again, I'm just curious to the mechanical / shared story telling metagame that drives your (and the girls) choices to establish the fiction.
  • Well, that's going to be the question, I guess. Based on what I'm seeing, I'd bet the girls would flail a bit, so I'm starting with some missions, just grabbing from cool maps that inspire me, throwing stuff at them. Encouraging the girls to pick a direction and use Lore rolls to flesh things out would be ideal, but I suspect it'd be overwhelming for them right out of the gate. It's kind of an emergent process. If the girls really want to follow up with the demon cult, for example, I'll grab something likely from the stack and tie it to Klash'tuu. I'm an adaptable human.

But right now, I'm focusing more on giving them a good time with some set pieces to get things rolling and give them a taste of action. As they get into the world, they'll make connections with NPCs and places, and firm up their flags. I've been asking them some questions about how they imagine pieces of the world work, so there's some potential for collaborative world-shaping (I hope). But yeah, it's all training wheels stuff at present, as much for me as for them.

Oh, and we may have an actual boy join the group, one of their peers who really wants to dungeon. I'm putting the idea to the table this weekend, and the girls will get to decide if they want to invite him in. It's still gonna be Dungeon Girls, though, no matter what.
  • Hey, so here's a thing I did when I ran / attempted to run DW for some high school boys (some of whom were pretty cool but who frankly were way less cool than your kids and their friends):

I made a list of five spooky/fantasy/magical adjectives, then five structure nouns, then five "bad-outcome" nouns. I asked them to choose one from each list, in the spirit of AW hacks everywhere. Hence: "Eldritch Labyrinth of Doom." I then improvised a dungeon around that theme. I've done it twice, the second time with adults, and they liked it too. So maybe that could help with the "where do you want to go next" thing. And since it's an ongoing game you could even cross out the words, and when they get to the final one, really play up how much of a doozy it's going to be. "Uh oh... looks like you're heading to the Ancient Oubliette of Foulness... watch out!"

Anyway just an idea I had.

BTW let me second everyone else's who's saying "This is awesome."
  • Matt,

That's really cool... but how does "Eldritch Labyrinth of Doom" give you something all that different to work with than "Ancient Oubliette of Foulness"? It seems like you could slap that sort of title on just about any dungeon and it would fit it equally well.

I wrote a procedure for doing this sort of thing a while back, using fictional elements (I'd have one character specify a "fear" - something they were deathly afraid of, another something they were desperately seeking, etc). I never got to playtest it, so I'm curious to hear how yours works!

(This is potentially detracting from the thread, so feel free to private message me or start a new thread, if you have a lot to say!)
  • Well, not that much, so I don't think it's that much of a derail. The choice of words actually does influence what I improvise. "Eldritch" implies lots of arcane magic, and "Labyrinth" implies hard to navigate. Whereas an Oubliette would imply a prison, torture implements, etc.
  • edited October 2012
    I wonder how much the knowledge of those second characters frees them up to think about those complications in addition to those story-based limits on consequences you described.

Like, JM threw Mist in the drink, but then followed up with an awesome bit from her other PC. Do you think her willingness to put her adventurers in harm's way might change at all if she only had the one?

(Thanks, BTW, these are amazing, now I really want to set this sort of thing up in my new shop...)
  • Regarding Matt's idea above, I like the addition that when wrapping one dungeon and moving the next, you have to keep one of the words. Like there's no narrative connection between the Eldritch Labyrinth of Doom and the Ancient Oubliette of Foulness but if you stop off at the Eldritch Graveyard of Foulness first, you're good. Just a thought.
  • This is great stuff, and I'm really interested in learning more about how your kids engage with gaming. I can see how they are responding well with mixed success (7-9) results- are you seeing any frustration among the other players with failure (6 or less)? Any pushing to re-roll or change the rules?
  • When playing WoD earlier this summer my son got very frustrated with the hard moves made against him on failure. Perhaps I was too hard , but mainly it was just dealing damage in a combat. It felt to him like the "bad guys" were getting a free attack when he failed ie it made failure twice as frustrating as failing in DnD (which he'd played a bit of)!
  • edited October 2012
    Jim: Junior Moppet feeling safer about embracing setbacks because she's running multiple characters is a possibility. I haven't asked her about it. But in Faery's Tale, where she has only one character, she followed the same pattern of pushing adversity toward her character Thistle, evidently just for the hell of it. That said, she was a little more cautious with Mist when she just had the one character, but mostly in terms of being careful about confronting monsters who could dish out HP damage. Even then, when she fell to zero HP at one point (quickly healed by Elder Moppet's Druid), she didn't seem put out or subdued (unlike some adults I've played with). I really don't know yet how much her dramatic play impulse is clashing with character survival urge.

Steve: I haven't yet seen any frustration issues with failure in either group, though the Dungeon Girls notice at the end of the session how well they did across the entire session. In yesterday's game, the Paladin (girl G) didn't really accomplish anything. She had three rolls that were each a full success or crit, and they resulted in (a) severing a chain with one blow of her sword, freeing the new Necromancer PC girl A was introducing (swapping out her Guild Assassin as soon as the fiction allows); (b) climbing down a rope into a giant spider infested pit to support the Druid, Guild Assassin, and Necromancer, and (c) climbing the rope out of the pit to help the Ranger and Wizard confront an enraged gang of cultists. I ruled that the crits let her arrive with a point of Hold and super intimidating stance. Also, she had a partial success at using her Cure ability to cleanse a cultist curse from the Guild Assassin, and I ruled that she succeeded, but attracted the close attention of her deity (still to be defined) and her aura glowed with a noticeable white light. G joked at the end of the session that all she accomplished on the day "was to look awesome."

Last session, when the Wizard (girl L) was frozen by her overzealous cold spirit, she seemed fine with the result. Ranger (girl M) has also been fine with failure, though she's pretty anxious about her Lion. Girl A remarks on how she did after each session, so I know each girl is aware of how much her character brought the awesome. They did ask if they could spend Hold to reroll, but I said no. I might let 3 Hold go for a reroll. Incidentally, I found these cool plastic crystals, probably used to represent mana in Magic games, and I hand these out to represent Hold. So far I've given Hold out for crit rolls, but I'm thinking about renaming them Awesome Points from OSH.
  • edited October 2012
    Yesterday in Dungeon Girls: They looted the temple shrine and found some cool stuff. Wizard (Girl L) was late to arrive, so we started without her. There was much negotiation, primarily handled by Girls G and L while A and Elder Moppet worked on A's new Necromancer character (you have to draw the character and all her stuff, and it's very important to get the hair right). A wanted to play "an ironically cheerful Necromancer." It was cute how she asked me if that'd be OK. We made a rule for one character in play at a time, but also agreed a swap out had to make fictional sense. So Guild Assassin is with us for the time being. Nobody seems to mind, and nobody seems to have noticed that it dilutes their experience. They've also voted to divvy up XP for monster battles evenly, with some standout awards for notable feats.

And by unanimous vote, they're cool for the Boy to join the next session if he wants. They still want the group to be named Dungeon Girls for now, although Elder Moppet has tactfully offered the name Dungeoneers if they want to be gender-neutral in future.

The negotiation over loot was really interesting. All the girls except A were very concerned about equity, to the point of refusing items because someone else hadn't gotten enough yet. A wasn't selfish, just focused on getting dark Necromancy items. They immediately decided to divide up Coin evenly. Paladin didn't mind that the scale armor wouldn't fit quite right (-1 to DEX) until he was able to visit an armorer. His player, G, felt awkward about taking both armor and the masterwork sword they found, but was ultimately persuaded that as the party "meat shield," the Paladin should get first pick of warrior stuff. That term came up spontaneously from one of the girls, I don't recall who. Eventually everyone got something and seemed satisfied, though I think the Wizard got stiffed a bit (no magic items, lots of quicksilver). When Necromancer eventually discovered the spider-marked black leather bracers granted the wearer the narrow skill Scale Sheer Surface, all the girls oohed and ahhed about how cool that was. I stressed that someone needed to do the bookkeeping because I wasn't going to go through all my notes to track their treasure. Elder Moppet had to be reminded of her bracers of protection (+1 armor), for instance.

Elder Moppet leveled her Druid to Level 3 and chose a new skill and took Wild for her new Special Ability. Everyone else got to Level 2. Paladin was 25 XP short of 1,000, so the girls implored for me to make up the difference and asked if they could share XP to help Paladin over the hump. What can I say? I'm a softy. I gave her the XP, but assigned her the homework of naming her deity and choosing three Domains for it.

After finishing at the shrine, they found the imprisoned Necromancer and freed her, then explored the building, eventually discovering the "dungeon" entrance in the basement, sealed by a copper plate engraved with mystic sigils. After the Paladin tried to lift it and (failure) was hurled away by demonic power, taking a few HP and losing her glowing aura, the Necromancer used a ritual to open it.

In exploring, they ended up in the pit trap situation I mentioned above, the Necromancer having been snatched down there by a darkness spirit. The Druid called her flame spirit Koriander to banish the darkness spirit, and Koriander (crit) devoured its opposition, a phoenix swallowing a serpent of shadow. I've decided this spirit is going to have a bit of attitude, especially about darkness, since this is the second game running where Koriander has crushed the cult's darkness spirits. Druid climbed a rope down into the pit to help Necromancer, but (partial success) woke the nest of giant spiders clustered on the ceiling.

At this point, while I was thinking about what move to make for the partial success, someone joked about giant spiders, girl A expressed her distaste for spiders, G warned everyone not to give me ideas, and Elder Moppet said she'd fought them before in the wizard's tower. So of course, there had to be giant spiders. :-)

The Druid made it down safely after stabbing the first spider to death on her way down. Following some inspiration from the Die of Fate, I rolled about 20 of these things, figuring this encounter would make a decent set-piece. Here is where things got interesting, and we learn that EM has the makings of a brilliant strategist.

As the spider horde descends, Paladin comes down the rope to look awesome and give the party a few seconds of breathing room. Everyone is girding for battle when the Druid remembers she has Wild and can talk to animals.

"Does that include spiders?" she asks.

"Yeah," I reply. "They're not unnatural monsters or domesticated critters."

"OK, I try to talk them into letting us go, and I apologize for killing that one guy."

The Druid makes her pitch and (partial success), the big fat queen cob hangs there in thought and then hisses that she will let the humans go if one of them stays to be eaten. The girls gasp in delighted alarm and outrage. Unacceptable!

Then EM gets inspired. "Oh great spider queen, what if we bring you other meals to substitute for one of us?" That would be acceptable, says the cob queen, but she warns that no one here may leave, and that she and her brood are hungry and don't want to wait long.

The Druid shouts up to the Ranger and Wizard to "go find some cultists and lead them back here." Ranger and Wizard venture off. Ranger uses her Scout special ability as she explores and finds a couple of dozen cultists having a heated discussion about the "slaughter in the shrine above." She and Wizard, prompted by some questions by me, come up with a Cunning Plan. Wizard uses her Throw Voice cantrip to (success) taunt the cultists and direct their attention to Ranger, who shows herself riding her LION and then (success) affects a limping gait back toward the cave with the pit, leading the cultists on. Wizard runs back to the cave, stands on the far side of the pit, and uses her Shadow cantrip to hide the gaping hole. Ranger shows up with the dagger-waving cultists in tow, has her lion spring over the pit, then dismounts. The cultists charge in and a good half-dozen of them spill into the hidden pit before the others can pull back.

Down below, the spiders drop down and begin to feast in a gruesome scramble of glistening spiders, webs, and stunned cultists. As the combat begins above, the ranger discovers the spear she grabbed as loot from the shrine is actually a Flaming Spear! She and Wizard send a couple more wounded cultists into the pit, one of them bouncing off the Paladin, who is trying to climb the rope out of there. Paladin rolls a crit and clambers out, grabbing a cultist by the ankle and pitching yet another corrupted soul down to arachnid justice. The awesome pose he strikes, along with the screams of the dying spider food below and the flaming spear and the LION biting the head of their leader causes the remaining ten or so cultists to flee in panic.

The queen cob tells the Druid she is grateful for the feast and offers alliance while the humans are in these catacombs. Elder Moppet is psyched.

Nobody really embraced adversity in this group in Junior Moppet's fashion, but nobody seemed put out when things didn't go their way, either. They're reacting with laughter, recognizing that setbacks are cool opportunities for them to bring the awesome.
  • Wow, that sounds like a great session!

What do you use Hold/Awesome Points for?
  • edited October 2012
    Right now I let the players spend Hold/Awesome points for a bonus on die rolls. We may come up with other uses going forward, like some narrative authority or even putting Fate-like Aspects on the environment. We'll see.
  • Sounds cool!
  • edited October 2012
    Very neat! In my experience, younger kids don't like the idea of setbacks or negative outcomes at all. Most kids want to be awesome all the time and are frustrated by the idea of not being awesome at any point in time. And this goes for MOST adults as well. I'm pretty sure JM's willingness to throw adversity at her character is a relatively unique personality trait for a person her age.
  • JM is...pretty unique, I have to say.
  • Though I will say that type of behavior is probably contagious. Have you found that the other girls in the younger group have taken to self-setbacks?
  • Right now there's only one other girl in the Kids group. S is kind of embracing adversity, but not full-bore like JM. She's OK with setbacks, though, and isn't showing any disappointment or sulkiness when events punish her character. Honestly, she and JM work like a pro team. They should have their third player, a boy, joining them in their next session. It'll be interesting to see how he meshes with them.
  • I finally remembered to ask JM about her motives for putting Mist into peril.

After a few seconds of thought, she said, "Well, I like it when Mist is in danger or gets hurt. I like her being the center of attention. And then the other characters get to be awesome."

I asked if she's worried Mist will die.

"Nope," she said. "But I don't really care if she dies. I can just make another character."

"But I don't want her to die either, Daddy," she added. "I like Mist, and she's the first one to make it to third level."

As a post-script: in the car on the way to school this morning, she and Elder Moppet sang "Roll a D6" ()

• edited October 2012
    So this last Sunday was "Dungeon Kids," now with Boy C joining Junior Moppet and Best Friend S. C decided to make a Dwarf, because he likes Elfs and Dwarfs and had an Elf in the DnD game he'd played. We basically took Fighter and swapped out Skirmish for Tinker. He started with Tough and Tinker, and selected Decipher as his class skill. He liked the name "Romrama" from the Imperial section of the WoD name list, so I suggested he be an "Imperial Dwarf," whatever that is. He thought that sounded cool. Romrama turns out to be tricky to wrap your mouth around (dammit, John, you need to do a readaloud on this stuff before you release it to an unwitting public! I mean, honestly... :-) ).

JM and S were excited to have him there. They're all in the same third grade class, having started in Kindergarten together. Both girls say they have a crush on C, but don't feel any rivalry about it.

I thought I'd start by having them encounter the dwarf in the dungeon. I've been running the DK through a 1-page dungeon called Citadel of Fear, which is laid out so as to print out as a fold up booklet. We'd left off in a sort of figure-8-shaped hallway section where the walls were lined with polite talking skulls. I further decided to kick it off with some action, so a goblin patrol showed up while the dwarf and the party were located on perpendicular corridors. Mist drew her elven sword and successfully caused fear on the onrushing goblins, halting half of them in their tracks. A couple of goblins spotted the dwarf and split off to attack him. Rhavaniel the ranger picked off a goblin with an arrow. Amber the wizard slipped around the figure-8 to flank the goblins. Lostariel the assassin met the goblin charge and killed one goblin while taking a painful javelin gash from another.

The dwarf turned and ran initially. I think C was thinking about his other DnD game, wherein being outnumbered at first level was potentially a death sentence, but he turned on his own to make a stand after (partial failure) a goblin javelin hit him in the pants and delivered 1 HP of damage after we subtracted toughness. I ruled the javelin had pierced his pants leg, so he couldn't run well until he pulled it out.

I'm really focusing on making the characters feel awesome even when they fail, so I'm pulling out the writerly description of action. Romrama removed the javelin from his pant leg and decided to throw it back at the goblin charging him. He failed, and I described how the goblin hurdled the javelin, which struck sparks from the stone floor. The goblin dealt out a die of damage, but I rolled a 2, which was blocked by Romrama's Tough ability, so I described how the dwarf simply blocked the dagger slash with his unarmored forearm, because he was Just. That. Tough. The next round, he whacked off the goblin's head with his axe.

Amber, meanwhile, had come around behind the dwarf in time to witness this feat of awesome. JM had her swig some quicksilver and summon Arathiol, her Lightning/Fear spirit, who manifests as a wave of crackling lightning. Amber ordered Arathiol to smite the other goblin, which it did with alacrity (15 damage on a 3d6 roll against a 3HP goblin, including a d6 bonus for the goblin's metal arms & armor). I narrated the blinding flash and clap of thunder as the goblin was hurled backward down the corridor to land in a charred and smoking heap at the feet of his buddies. I figure Arathiol likes to be scary, even when it's using its Lightning domain. All the kids oohed and aaahed at this.
  • edited October 2012
    OK, so the boy energy was pretty different in the Dungeon Kids group. With three of them, the kiddos were up and around a lot more than when it was just JM and S. C seemed to need to get up more often to demonstrate how Romrama was swinging his axe, accompanied by cool "ssshhhnk" SFX. Honestly, though this is fun and endearing, I found it a bit tiring after awhile, because practically every action had to go on pause while C, and then JM and S, all got up to pantomime their combat moves. Getting the kids back to the table and focused on the fiction took more time and overt management than I had had to do up until now. But they were having a good time, so (deep breath) they finished off the hapless goblins, the Ranger nailing the last one with an arrow as it tried to flee the hall.

Looting the bodies-an activity that seems to come naturally to both groups-yielded a handful of coins and some used goblin javelins. S and JM had some minor disagreement about how to divvy up the pitiful goblin savings, but eventually split it between the dwarf newcomer and the Lvl 1 Assassin, since those characters "needed it most."

There was a secret room marked on the map, so I gave them each a chance to roll, awarding a bonus to the dwarf. This was mostly for effect, since I wasn't going to let them miss the room. Anyway, they easily discovered the room and entered to find more stuff to loot. Here's where JM and S ended up doing a lot more haggling over which characters needed XP the most. In the end, they decided to split the coin evenly, and the scrolls went to the Wizard, and other stuff went to the other characters as seemed class-appropriate. There wasn't a lot of adventuresome gear; this room was some hapless dead dude's office. On the other hand, the dwarf had to be persuaded to take a simple helmet, apparently because he didn't envision it fitting under Romrama's floppy-brimmed rain hat. The kids were clearly excited and tired and a bit distracted, so I gave them a break before we continued play.

When they came back, we had an hour left, so I decided to hit them with another set piece, this time a reinforced goblin patrol backed up by an Orc Wizard, an Orc Warrior, and an Orc Drummer whose drum made goblins brave. There were 8 goblin warriors and two goblin archers. To add an environmental complication, the wood golem corridor cleaner described in the dungeon text came along, moving robotically to clean up the carnage from the last goblin encounter.

The Dungeon Kids made mincemeat out of them. Romrama just charged. Mist drew her Elven sword and attacked. Rhavaniel, like any good ranger, ran up to use the Wood Golem for cover while she plied her archery skills. Lostariel slipped over to the corner and prepared to ambush any enemies that drew near. Amber summoned her spirit The Book of Ice and caused a blizzard in the corridor intersection that slowed the goblin patrol's vanguard enough for Lostariel and Mist to wipe them out.

The Orc Drummer's work canceled out the effects of Mist's elven sword, but this hardly mattered. The dwarf cleaved a goblin as he charged through their line, beelining for the drummer. Mist also evaded the goblins and went for the Orc Warrior. The Orc Wizard used his magic staff to create Goblin Zombies from the remains of the goblin patrol, adding some crappy zombies to the mix.

Next round, Mist attacked the Orc Captain and scored a crit with the elven sword. She didn't do enough damage to kill him outright, but took him to 2HP. For the crit, I ruled Mist took off the Orc's sword hand. Meanwhile, the dwarf crits on the Drummer, doing enough for an outright kill. I asked him how it goes down, and C describes how he chops the guy's head off (shades of Axe Cop).

"OK," I say. "Black blood is everywhere, steaming on the cold floor. Meanwhile, the Orc Wizard is summoning something like a giant hairy spider stitched together from inky shadows. What do you do?"

JM has Amber call Arathiol again, and she simply tells it to "Fry that wizard!" However, this is her fourth summoning (she'd done one last session), so she rolls for Quicksilver effect and gets a partial success. JM volunteers that Amber succeeds in communicating her desire to Arathiol, but then passes out as the quicksilver runs cold as ice through her veins.

The Orc Wizard sees the lightning manifest and I have him order his spirit to intercept and kill. JM rolls for Arathiol and I roll for Hairy Spider Shadow. Again, JM rolls really well and I suck. Arathiol simply blows through the other spirit and again I describe the clap of thunder and enthusiastic flash as Amber's spirit blasts its target. The Orc Wizard is shocked down to 1HP as he peels himself off the floor where he landed, his robes scorched and licked with fire.

Both Romrama and Mist finish the Orc Warrior while the Assassin and Ranger pick off a zombie and goblin. The rest of the goblins are fuuuuucked as Mist's elven sword (success) terrifies them into blind panic. The Orc Wizard finds an intact vial of quicksilver, chugs it, and summons his darkness spirit again to exfil him before somebody gets to that one last little HP.

I describe the dark hairy spider unfolding from the ceiling to drape the Orc in shadows, when JM declares, "And shadowy webs come down and snatch up Amber too! And she can't do anything because she's unconscious!" So...yeah. Amber is now a prisoner of the Orc Wizard. It looks like I'll have to do some real prep for next time.

"We're ending on a cliffhanger!" JM announced proudly. Yes, honey, yes we are.

I should add that I instantiated Awesome Points this session, giving them out on crits or when players made things especially tough for their characters. Awesome Points could be used 1 for 1 to add to die rolls, offer the ability to make some narrative declarations, and we're exploring other possible uses, like healing HP 1 for 1.

That was it. We got to the loot split and I released the kids to go frolic before their moms came to fetch them. C had a lot to say (and demonstrate) to his mom as he talked about how awesome the game was, and she sent me an IM the next day to inform me he couldn't stop talking about how much fun he'd had.

Another successful session for WoD, but DK won't meet again until the 18th since I'm off to OryCon the first weekend in November. This coming weekend, it'll be Dungeon Girls again, maybe with their own boy joining. Advance word seems to be he's picking a Thief for that game.

JM told me later she thought this session had too much combat. I kind of agree with her, but I'm not sure she and the other kids would have held still for exploration. The novelty of having C in the group produced too much excited, fidgety energy. We'll see if they're a bit more grounded next time. In any case, I'm excited to see what happens with Amber. I am kind of wishing each Kid stuck with one character, but I like both Amber and Mist very much, so I'd have a hard time figuring out which one I preferred. JM plays them very differently. Mist is the goddamn Batman, voice low and tough, while Amber is bright and cheery. S plays her ranger and assassin virtually identically. C is playing a tough dwarf asskicker, which implies its own personality right there.
  • I love this so, so much and never want the reading of it to end.
  • Oh yeah, me too. :) I neglected to mention the slaughter of the remaining panicky gobs. Poor benighted little bastards ended their lives as sniveling pockets of XP, reaped as an afterthought.
  • Fantastic write-up! Really enjoying reading.

Has the quicksilver thing come up before, or is this the first time?
  • Thanks, guys.

UserClone, I'll be writing these up for the foreseeable future, as they're instructive for me and also helpful in terms of providing a record, not just of the game, but of the play with my kids.

Paul, it hasn't really come up with DK, but did with DG last time when the Wizard there (played by L) also had a partial failure and was partly frozen by her overenthusiastic Ice Fox spirit. I think if it's a partial failure, I'm gonna just hit them with something odd and complicating, akin to Ars Magica Hermetic Flaws, likely related to the spirit's domains or personality. If it's a full failure, I still want things to be awesome, so I'll probably have the spirit not get the right instruction and do something cool but off-base, or I'll hammer the Wizard with an Ars Magica Hermetic Side Effect.
  • So we had Dungeon Girls yesterday, plus the new player F, a boy who joined with a fighter-thief mix he’s calling an “Escort” for now. The class appears to be a sort of mercenary with eclectic skills. I’d prefer he come up with a more evocative name, like Southron Mercenary or something, but it’s fine if he sticks with the plainer term.

His character’s name is Niff, and he has the class skill of Stealth, added Awareness, and took Hardy and Tinker for his starting special abilities. A smallbow and and shortsword with some light armor and a smattering of gear completed his gear. He was ready to go.

G seemed invested in knowing her paladin Arselon still had more hit points than the newcomer. I’m guessing she’s proud of her designation as party “meat shield” (her term, not mine). They’re also referring to the possessed priest from a couple of sessions back as “Spooky Spooky Twisty Arm Guy,” or something like that. (G is a huge Avatar: The Last Airbender fan).

We had to wait a little while for L to arrive with her wizard. Logistics. It seems her dad is interested in sitting in on a session, maybe playing an NPC. Very cool! I’ll have to give that some thought so we can find a fun pickup role for him.

For a fictional tie-in, I decided Niff had been a prisoner of the cultists, who had caught him sniffing around their digs (maybe he was on a mission for a client) and were preparing to sacrifice him to Klash’tuu. When they all took off in chase of the ranger mounted on her lion, he slipped out a hidden lockpick and freed himself from his manacles. After retrieving his gear, he was on the way out when the panicked cultists fleeing the slaughter and spider trap ran into him. He killed one (no roll, as this was just for flavor), the other scattering as he made his way to the room where the other party members were looting the meager pickings of the dead cultists.

This week, the group had a lot of squirrelly energy, particularly from A and Elder Moppet, who were pretty chattery. It was hard to get the players focused, and we kept having to go back over the scene to stage things. I talked with EM afterwards, and she suggested it might be nice to have some social time before we start the game, to give everyone some hang out time and ease into play. This sounds sensible to me.

After some wrangling, we decided A’s Guild Assassin had to leave so A could focus her energy on playing her ironically cheery necromancer Andromeda Payne. EM and A have a friend whose last name is Payne, which these girls think is the coolest thing evar. They are fans of the quite droll Skullduggery Pleasant series. Anyway, the group sent Fox, the assassin, out to deliver a message to the city authorities warning them of the existence of this evil cult’s stronghold. Bam. Pretextual exit accomplished.

We started with some basic looting of the cultist bodies, but that yielded nothing but bloodstained robes and a handful of silvers. Then Niff showed up, and we went through a hesitant, self-conscious introduction scene. Awkward because Valavanora the Druid, Andromeda the Necromancer, and Fox the Guild Assassin were still down in the spider pit witnessing arachnoid suckage. EM and A weren’t in the scene above, so they were distractingly talky with each other. Nobody introduced themselves by name except Arselon the Paladin and Niff himself. But we got through it. Everyone’s relatively new to roleplaying, with the exception of A and maybe L.

At this point, I should say I made a few comments this session about players needing to be a good audience. Honestly, I’m trying not to be the dad here offering a stream of behavioral feedback, but I also want to encourage good gaming habits. I had to take a deep breath and try to move things forward with gentle reminders.

More later.
  • Awesome stuff!
  • edited October 2012
    After introductions, we flailed a bit while the party tried to figure out what to do next. I call it “flailing” because A and EM were still distracted, none of the kids seemed clear on how to introduce Niff to the Necromancer and Druid, who were still below witnessing the gruesome spider Thanksgiving.

In looking at the map I was using for them, another 1 Page Dungeon called The Temple of Thime, a beautiful little art piece with evocative notes but nothing definitive, I saw the spider room had another exit to a room containing a stone sarcophagus and a cryptic note about Dead stuff being here. I decided to throw something new and different at them, so I described the sound of stone grating against stone, and had the Necromancer make an Awareness roll. The notion was to hit them with a Wraith, a serious piece of Undead business that wouldn’t go down to a flurry of blades and arrows. Fictionally, I figured the terror and death of the cultists had stirred the dreaded Wraith from slumber. I assigned it 20 HP, immunity to normal weapons, Death’s Chill, and some kind of Cause Fear ability. I also had the murky idea that it could drain HP to add to its own, but I wasn't consistent about applying that, which was probably for the best given how things went down.

So: Andromeda called out that something was wrong, Death’s Door opening and all that.

In perception rolls, I’m going with the DW take as guidance: full success means useful information, partial success means interesting but not immediately useful info. Andromeda sensed (partial success) the cold breath of Death’s door opening nearby. Valavanora was fixing to climb the rope and get the heck out of there when the Wraith appeared, manifesting as a ghostly skeleton robed in shadows. Valavanora (failure) found herself halted by the Wraith’s chill presence, frost riming her skin, unable to move. I tossed out an observation that Death’s power was diametrically opposed to the Druid’s Nature focus, and perhaps Valavanora was more vulnerable to Undead magics.

Andromeda (success) wasn’t affected, and decided “Hey, I’m a Necromancer. Can I talk to this thing?”

“Sure,” I replied. “Make a Charisma roll. What are you going to try to do?”

“Talk to it and see if I can convince it to leave us alone.”

Incidentally, I’d decided to give Andromeda a +1 bonus in dealing with Undead, because of the narrower focus in her magics. Similiarly, the Druid gets a +1 dealing with Nature spirits.

When Andromeda started to parley, speaking the Tongue of the Dead, the Wraith (partial success) halted, but loomed larger as its hunger grew. The other characters decided they needed to come down to provide backup. Everyone started down the rope. True to form, Arselon (crit) came down looking awesome. Niff also rolled a crit, so dropped down ready to rumble. Arian asked about lowering her still nameless lion, but ultimately decided not to because she didn’t want to risk him against a Wraith. I’d also pointed out that it wouldn’t be a simple or quick operation.

“I’m not sure his claws would hurt a thing like this, anyway,” she said. “And I’m not sure how we’d get him out of here.”

So the lion stuck around up top on guard. By this time, the wizard Sklarah (crit) came down and landed in a lithe stance, quicksilver vial in hand. The spiders, meanwhile, were busy hauling their meals up, up, and away so the Wraith couldn’t slurp the cultists’ life force before the spiders were done.

I called for Andromeda to make a roll to persuade the Wraith to leave them alone. The Wraith (failure) shrieked and swept forward, extending spectral claws toward the Necromancer. I had her roll against CON to resist or evade, and she (success) pulled out a talisman or executed some kind of quick, one-handed “avert” ritual to deflect the Wraith.

Things got a little hectic at this point, so my recollection is a bit garbled. I’ll do the best I can to reconstruct.

Niff, Arian, and Arselon attacked, Arselon with her sword, Niff and Arian shooting arrows. These attacks did nothing but pass through the Wraith as if it were made of smoke, and I treated them as failed rolls. This result caused bafflement and more anxiety. Meanwhile, the Wraith grabbed Arselon and started draining his life force to the tune of something like 9 of his 20HP in that first round, which ratcheted the tension level way up.

Valavanora shook off her fugue and summoned Koriander, her redoubtable Phoenix green fire elemental. Koriander did a solid and dramatic dozen or so points against the Wraith, spearing it with a winged blast of emerald flame for 12HP. The undead thing let loose of Arselon, backed off and emitted the patented ringwraith shriek (which I am pretty good at delivering, incidentally). All the characters had to save against fear. Everyone (success or partial) did, except (failure) Arselon, who, doubtless still chilled by the Wraith’s touch, found himself unable to move. This was a bit deprotagonizing, I suppose, but G seemed to be a good sport, and with the party meat-shield out of action, everyone else had to step up.

Andromeda asked if she could use Ritual to create a circle of protection centered around the rope, so they’d have an escape route. I said sure, but (die of fate) it’d take her 3 rounds, and it couldn’t be broken once invoked (edit: meaning nobody had better scuff the marks or otherwise cover the circle, or it would be rendered useless). Sklarah asked if she could help, and I said sure, a successful Aid roll would add +1 to Andromeda’s Ritual roll. Fortunately, Sklarah was learned enough in her Lore (success) to understand the Necromancer’s cryptic directions. As the two mages worked on the circle, the rest of the group tried to hold off the Wraith.

Arian mused that she didn’t know if she could do much, so I reminded her she had a flaming spear that could still be used in two combats that day.

“Really?” she said. “I didn’t think it worked that way.” So she called out the magic word engraved on the spearhead and charged. She (partial success) dealt another 7HP to the Wraith, who pulled back in rage and shrieked out what Andromeda recognized as a call for reinforcements I determined would (die of fate) arrive in 5 rounds. She shouted a warning to the party that time was short, and continued to scrawl arcane symbols on the floor and yell directions at Sklarah.

I should point out that A drew out her circle on paper, which was pretty cool. Shades of Garth Nix’s Sabriel. The Wraith was down to 1HP, a mere shade of its initial might. Things looked good, but the battle wasn't done yet.
  • edited October 2012
    Throughout this encounter, F was trying to have Niff offer tactical leadership without being too pushy. He continued to suggest ideas and ask what the other characters had on them. He observed that fire hurt this thing, so L examined her character sheet and realized she had several vials of fire oil.

“Perfect,” Niff said. He and Arian tried to decide how best to use the vials they got from Sklarah, eventually deciding to shoot flaming arrows at the Wraith, lit by Sklarah’s candle cantrip. They had some more elaborate idea that sounded as though it would take them several rounds to set up, and after I pointed that out, they went with the simpler fire arrow plan.

G asked if Arselon could pray for intervention from his deity. I said sure, and Arselon stammered out a petition that (failure) his god or goddess did not hear, but the dark powers the Wraith served did, and lent it strength in the form of (2d6) 10HP, bringing it back to 11. This was harsh, but I didn't want to simply slam Arselon for more damage right away.

I have to stress that even though Arselon was not having a great day, G continued to be a good sport, as all these kids have been, and I'm really grateful. I ought to start giving out Awesome Points for good sportsmanship, seriously. I mean, I've played with players who sulked or got pissy after their character hit a setback or heaven forfend, died. Not fun.

Niff's flaming arrow knocked the Wraith down to 6HP as it grabbed for Arselon again. A second arrow from Arian (partial success) did 1HP, and I initially ruled it had hit (low roll of a d6 for each of the players) Andromeda, possibly disrupting the ritual. F raised an eyebrow, and the other players looked a bit puzzled. I realized I had not clarified everyone’s relative location, and further that I had it wrong. The Wraith and Andromeda were on opposite sides of the battle, so it was highly unlikely a missed arrow would do anything. I ruled instead that the arrow hit Arselon, whose armor soaked some of it, but he still took some damage from Arian’s wayward arrow. M expressed dismay that she'd hurt a fellow party member.

As the Wraith grasped at Arselon, seeking to add his strength to its own (HP), Valavanora called on Koriander again, but this time, the Druid was on her fourth summoning of the day, having called the spirit once in each of the last two sessions. The icy quicksilver (failure) shut her down so that she garbled her order to the fire spirit before passing out. Confused, Coriander split its attack and rolled a d6 against (die of fate) Arian (I think) for 1HP and then (die of fate) another against the Wraith for 2HP. The Wraith is down to 3HP and about to go down on Arselon again in a bad way.

At this point, and I don’t know who suggested it, L asked me if Sklarah could drink fire oil and spray it across her cantrip-ignited candle flame held in her palm to attack the Wraith. I said (essentially) HELL yeah. I mean, really. This is the awesome, right?

She (success) stepped up and breathed a wad of fire right through the Wraith’s spectral face, rolling 4HP. Everyone cheered (in relief, I observed) as the Wraith burned away to scraps of shadow and silence. Everyone demanded that Sklarah get Awesome Points for this, despite not rolling a crit. I handed them out happily.

More later: a harrowing escape from the spider pit, an unsettling encounter, lessons about story prep and campaign direction.
  • Yeah, your crew has definitely shown that they are good sports. I remain impressed. Although, I bet the fact that you didn't pull many punches made the victory that much more sweet.

I would expect much more dysfunctional behavior from the kids. Also, I definitely can share the sentiment of not wanting to be "the dad with a constant stream of behavioral feedback".
  • @Hexabolic: I game with my two eldest - using something that's about halfway between Wold of Dungeon and Dungeon World. I love your write-ups. And what you've described is very consistent with my experience too.

The kids are more likely to be open to failure (they don't like it), and to be good sports all around, than many adults I've played with.

And I agree, checking my dad card at the door when we play is hard.