Bite-Size Actual Play: November 2012

edited November 2012 in Actual Play
Ran the third part of my Dragon World Hack 3-part mini-campaign. Chaos quickly reigned as inconvenient gods and fiancees were dealt with more or less, the fabric of reality itself was threatened (several times!), and the conniving thief got his heart's desire, good and hard! There was a lot of conflict of various sorts, but no actual combat.

As usual, I asked the players questions by email between games. The questions and their responses before this game were:

Light Inverse, Master of the Wrath of Abraxas:
  1. Who was the last person to unlock the Mobius Flower?
  2. Did he survive the process? In what condition?
    If anyone has unlocked the Möbius Flower since the founder of the Guild of Passions locked it, they have not survived to tell the tale. No one knows definitively where it has been between Eustace the Rogue 370 years ago and Thunder-in-Silence this year. However, I'm sure we could persuade our demi-god to answer a few questions...
  3. Are the terms "innocent bystanders" or "collateral damage" just words to you?
    Much of a mage's philosophical debate is just words. Who is truly innocent? Where is the fine line between bystander and accomplice by inaction? Intent, as in all magiks, is key to this question. Was it the mage's intent to harm innocents? Was it the mage's intent to include bystanders in the attack, or were they merely collateral damage? How much effort did the mage waste in trying to minimize collateral damage?

However, when it comes to the Zero Spell, there is no collateral damage. Not because innocents aren't likely to be effected, but because the spell is so absolute in its nature. The intent, when cast, is to harm all in its path, regardless of their state in life and their relationship to the mage. How many innocents can die at the hands of the Zero Spell and yet leave a mage with a clear conscience? Luckily for them, lesser mages do not have to answer that question with their soul, merely their intellectual curiosity.
Tim:
  1. What do you have planned for you and Shadowy's (The Lord of Shadows) 3rd date?
    No plans.
  2. Those guys from the Red Scorpion Battalion aren't really following you around, right?
    Hell, I dunno.
  3. You're getting letters from Sheela the Pirate Queen -- are you reading them?
    Fuck no!
Lord Woodchuck Stingray, Viscount of Shadows:
  1. After last time, surely someone owes you a title -- who?
    Better to ask who does not. I have proved myself invaluable to the Lord of Shadows yet again; a promotion would be most appropriate. I helped deliver the errant demigod into the hands of Illuminata's holy order; a bishopric or other title would seem fitting. I secured the Mobius Flower and bestowed it upon my loyal retainer Mr. Inverse, who, while not directly able to grant me a title, certainly could arrange matters to our mutual benefit. Perhaps we shall go forth and conquer new lands for me to rule and him to study as he wishes. And Tim's university should see about granting me some honorary degrees or a professorial position (with stipend) as soon as possible. After all, I am providing an unparalleled educational experience to their promising pupil free of charge.
  2. What possible uses have you figured out for the Tyrant Demi-God, Thunder-in-Silence?
    Hmm, other than the obvious lightning-throwing pyrotechnics sufficient to awe the masses, I had not given it much thought. Much will depend upon how he responds to Illuminata's conversion. I suppose he also could be a bargaining chip with his exalted mother, Tempest-Becalmed, who would undoubtedly be interested in his welfare.
  3. You've been seeing Red Scorpion Battalion troupers out of the corner of your eyes occasionally. What, if anything, do you do about this?
    It may be time now to see about the ritual that is rumored to be able to bind the spirit of their founder under my authority. Yes, it requires a wizard and a priest working in concert, but with my current retinue it should be a small task. Then, I can assert control over the Red Scorpions and wield their might in securing my legacy and leisure.
lluminata Zygmunt:
  1. What sort of place is your temple located in (little village, town, big city)? And what's the place's name?
    The Temple of the Moon is located in the heart of the jungle of Kriis. The priests of this temple tend to their own needs so there is really not much of a village.
  2. Are you in charge of it? If not, who is?
    Oh heck no. I have a tendency to break things. The priest Sol-tin is in charge.
  3. Where are you confining Thunder-in-Silence while you're trying to convert him?
    He will be taken to the difficult conversion cell (DCC) beneath the Temple of the Moon.

Comments

• Further thoughts on above:

I found myself sort of conflating the old boss fight rules and the clue/mcguffin rules for an extended conversational battle (trying to convince the baddies to go hero questing to fix the sun). I suspect if I ran a lot of this I'd end up fast and loose with the rules, and the game structure might devolve into free-form with occasional call for "roll 2d6 + stats".

Maybe a more complete rule set would help there. Or maybe it's not a bad thing. I dunno.
  • Prepping for my Freemarket game this morning. This is what I'm up against as Superuser.

MRCZ Profile: Memenites
    MRCZ Purpose: We don't make the things you use, we make you want to use the things you don't.
    MRCZ tags: Prestalgia, Thin Slicing, Zeitgeist Marketing
    MRCZ Needs: Novelty, Recycling, Audience
    MRCZ Founders: VIVIX, Maximum Upvote, Loki423Y, The Good Doctor
  • Monsterhearts.

Our game devolved/evolved for as session into very little plot development and a whole lot of interpersonal/relationship scenes. This is the type of thing that used to happen when I played online in the WOD chats, and it was like, maybe two or three people roleplaying in a room. It was often an "afterplay" type scenario, the GM just threw some major drama and plot points at you, but the GM wasn't around anymore, so what do you do? You have your characters sit with that drama and play out the aftermath of it.

Our Ghoul had just been killed by the ocean called up by our Selkie. The Selkie's pelt was taken at the same time, and is currently missing. When the Ghoul washed up on shore, our Werewolf took care of him, but this is the third time he's died. His father erased all memories of us last time, and made him into someone new. He doesn't remember any relationships at all with us. Our Fae is scared to death of him, because he saw him turn into his darkest self and eat a police officer. Our Fae and our Selkie are still hooking up (two teenage boys exploring their newly lost virginity). Tension grows between the Werewolf and the Selkie, after the Werewolf learned the Selkie tried to kill the Ghoul. There was a violent confrontation between the two, where the Werewolf asserted her overprotectiveness of the Ghoul, and a weird love/hate tension grows between the two.

I feel like I need to draw a relationship map/timeline for all our twisted love/hate/monster triangles.
  • I feel like I need to draw a relationship map/timeline for all our twisted love/hate/monster triangles.
    Please do!

• Lisa, stop forcing me to have lonely fun with my Monsterhearts game!

... ok now I may have to do this.
  • Once upon a time...

Best game I had in a loooong time. Two scheming archmages quarreling for a throne. An assassinated king replaced by an evil talking horse, who managed to submit the military advisors to his will, end the civil war, conquer the neighboring countries, fall in love with a tree and pluck his eyes out in order to learn to see with his heart, before retiring to a life of peaceful contemplation along with his beloved.
    Oh and cooking bees with murderous flying cakes.
    Our game devolved/evolved for as session into very little plot development and a whole lot of interpersonal/relationship scenes. This is the type of thing that used to happen when I played online in the WOD chats, and it was like, maybe two or three people roleplaying in a room. It was often an "afterplay" type scenario, the GM just threw some major drama and plot points at you, but the GM wasn't around anymore, so what do you do? You have your characters sit with that drama and play out the aftermath of it.
    This type of things - which often produces the most interesting moments, and I'd say are almost mandatory for good development - is why I had introduced a scene economy system for Vampire games, with the GM handling social gathering an obligations, and players private moments, being awarded more leeway the more they role-played the beast, and the trading of boons allowing them to summon other character's resources.
    Never was properly satisfied with it though. But I do think the idea sound.
  • So, I released The Quiet Year into the wild two nights ago, and already three people have played the game (with some hacking it for solo play). The game produces a map as record-of-play, and they serve as a nice bite-sized thing to share.

Akchizar's Annotated Map.
    horn_head_o's map.
    TildeSee's Map.
  • The other night, we played the first of a two-part Archipelago game. It's set in a small riverside community that somehow exists within a broader cityscape - a little cozy nook along the industrial/undeveloped part of the river. It's maybe also the land of the dead. People aren't always clear where they are, how they got there, or how long they've been there.

Marj Lymeric, tugboat captain, is just taking a quick coffee break before getting back on the water.
    She doesn't realize that her break has been going on for two years. Or that she's a ghost.

(that's my character. excited about her, but also confused where to go with her story.)
  • So, I released The Quiet Year into the wild two nights ago, and already three people have played the game (with some hacking it for solo play). The game produces a map as record-of-play, and they serve as a nice bite-sized thing to share.

Akchizar's Annotated Map.
    horn_head_o's map.
    TildeSee's Map.
    Cool. But for the first one, having an abundance of children but a shortage of food seems like an easy problem to fix!
  • I would like to make A Modest Proposal...
  • edited November 2012
    Ran a playtest of Kingdom yesterday. Our Kingdom was the US Republican party as it recovered from the 2012 election. At one point, I got to play Jon Stewart interviewing the House Majority leader on the Daily Show.

We also triggered a splintering of a majority of the Tea Party caucus away from the main Republican party, leading to a new era of tri-partisanship. Following that, as Todd Bryant (former VP candidate and presumptive nominee for 2016) I negotiated our way through blocking the appointment of a Supreme Court nominee.
  • Ran a playtest of Kingdom yesterday. Our Kingdom was the US Republican party as it recovered from the 2012 election.
    My group played Kingdom Thursday, and we were tempted to do something like this but weren't brave enough.
  • I think the combination of us being based in New Zealand but all being (a) wonkishly interested in the US political system and (b) fans of The West Wing's alt-history approach to politics gave us the right amount of distance to tackle it.

We were impressed at how effortlessly the game drew us into the value system of our Kingdom. We often felt that in order to maintain the integrity of the situation we *had* to introduce stuff into the fiction that made us personally uncomfortable - and there were definitely points where we almost didn't feel brave enough.
  • (that's my character. excited about her, but also confused where to go with her story.)
    Fate cards! They will tell you.

• edited November 2012
    Fiasco

My god, Marcy Lowell is such a bitch.

Also, Flyover remains my favorite playset.
  • @nickwedig, I am slowly coming to the realization that there are far more Fiasco playsets than I will ever be able to get to the table. So, I am always looking for recommendations to help narrow down my "must play" list. I haven't played Flyover. Why do you like it so much, especially over similar ones like Main Street USA and Tales from Suburbia?
  • Short answer: because Marcy Lowell is such a bitch.

Longer answer: I've actually never played Main Street, but I have played Tales from Suburbia. And it was a good game. But those playsets felt a little bit more generic. Flyover has a little more material in there to spur on the imagination. The flyover playset has little narrative threads that run through the various elements, that let you take them and build things. So Marcy Lowell shows up in a lot of games of Flyover, and she's always terrible in beautiful, awful ways. And the airport is always involved in smuggling or drug dealing or something. Or the Mexican drug dealers and the tear stained letter written in badly broken Spanish...

Flyover also gives you a small town setting. Everyone knows each other, at least a little. The small town setting means that there's plenty of isolated spots and abandoned run down barns to hide your meth labs in. But it's not the crazy isolation of The Ice (another great playset), so you can still go into town and have a shootout in the community health center or whatever. I can picture Flyover country in my head and spin out cool specific details real quickly and easily without them feeling like I'm just using stock, generic settings.

Of course, Flyover is also the first playset that I played, so maybe it's a mental reaction to the discovery of something new. It's also the playset I've played the most (five or six times at least) which may also relate to my liking it.

Flyover has never failed to give me a great setup and an entertaining game.
  • Apocalypse World: Refugees from a town taken over by The Pile are stacked up on a promontory of Black Marsh, surrounded by the river on three sides and the deep swamp on the fourth. Valentine, the Angel, has been to the Black Marsh and knows who lives there - devious and unreasonable cannibal hillbillies. A swamp person himself, he goes and talks to them and trades a pair of corpses for some time and maybe good will. They make it clear that when night falls the interloper refugees must be gone. Valentine tries to explain that the Black Marsh cannibals are not people to be dismissed lightly, but the refugees dismiss them lightly. When night falls, despite his Herculean efforts at persuasion, the refugees are dug in and ready for a fight they will most certainly lose. Valentine walks away. Every last refugee is killed and eaten.
  • edited November 2012
    On the bright side, Valentine is probably seen as bringer of good vittles to the Black Marsh cannibals. :-)
  • VALENTINE: These swamp cannibals are bad people. You go in there, likely you won't come out. You'll be dinner or worse. Best you can hope for is they'll marry you in.

ANIMAL: I'm not doing that.

VALENTINE: (Thoughtfully) It's not so bad.
  • (Monsterhearts)

My teen girl werewolf Dakota is talking to classmate NPC Sophie, who just shared that she's going to talk to the parents of Gabriel about his fascination with protecting the world from dangerous monsters (he's a Chosen, Dakota has a crush on him and is one of his "Scoobies", not knowing she is one of those monsters yet).

After some casual back and forth about how much trouble Gabriel would get in and how Sophie and Dakota could try to help him instead, but Sophie is not buying it. She's really concerned about Gabriel, her lifelong friend. I realize she's not going to budge. So as calm as possible, Dakota says, "Sophe... you're not going to tell on Gabriel, ok?"

MC as Sophie: "Why... why not?"

I roll Manipulate, get an 11. She'll do what I want if I give her a bribe, a threat or a motive. I pause, then Dakota says calmly, "Because... if you do. I will fuck you up." And the words don't express how cold it was, how sure Dakota was of it, how she let her primal side bleed through for that flicker of a moment.

The MC played it so, soooo well. Sophie swallowed hard and said, "Oh.... uhm, o-kay." She was the prey and Dakota was the predator. And they both knew their friendship was over right then and there.

Chilling.
  • [Monsterhearts]

My Angel uses a miracle to transform into an identical duplicate of his best friend the Infernal's girlfriend in order to fool said Infernal's demon into giving the Angel her true name in the hopes that this can be used to pry her hooks from the Infernal. A monkeywrench is thrown in the plan when the spirit of our evil guidance counselor whom we killed last season is freed from the Trapper Keeper he's imprisoned in when the Queen sets fire to it. Doesn't she know you're supposed to bury evil objects in consecrated ground, the way the Chosen did with the heads of the vampire pigs he severed?

Good session.
  • Dog Eat Dog. The Occupation, the Perdix, are a bunch of neat-freak hard-working pacifists. The natives, the Amnajan, are matriarchal stoics with a long tradition of ritualized warfare.

It goes about how like you think it might. The game's final Rule was "THE PERDIX ARE FAIR GAME".
  • edited November 2012
    Dungeon Crawl Classics, first session of The Menagerie of Terror.

The zero-level trapper Segovian had quite an evening. First, he suffocated on an ochre jelly pseudopod, losing all three of his hit points. But he made his Luck roll and was saved by the "roll over the body" rule.

No longer fearing death, he boldly pried open a giant sarcophogus. The pumpkin-sized beaked skull inside begged him for help! Without thinking, he scooped up the skull. Death gravity threatened to drag his soul down into the underworld! But he rolled a 20 on his Fortitude save and instead it was the beaked skull soul that was drawn up from the underworld by Segovian's powerful life-gravity! She is back in her own head!

Segovian now totes his special alien skull friend around, and she whispers strange lore of distant worlds to him.

Later, the thief Read Magicked some of the hieroglyphics on the sarcophagus. They were blessings of prosperity for those bound for the sunless deathlands. Because Segovian had beaten Death twice, the blessing vested on him. His Luck went up to 14, his hair fell out, and he was marked with runes identifying him as a priest-prince of the underworld...
  • We played a great game of Fiasco last night! Me, Kerra, Kate and Rafael used Sean Buckley's "Back to the Old House" playset and channeled Faulkner so hard.

A crumbling old southern pile on 100 north Georgia acres. The choking smell of midsummer honeysuckle in hundred degree heat. A double murder off-screen, a single murder on. Incest made even creepier (?) by a last-minute twist. Psychic twins, one permanently drunk to silence their connection. A gold-digging beast of the id with grand ambitions for her milquetoast husband's share of the estate. Quail hunting. A dirty duffel bag and a closely-guarded photo album, both containing horrible secrets from the past.

So good!
  • edited November 2012
    The Quiet Year

We were living in a post-soviet, rapture-ambiguous suburban sprawl. We started with a Scarcity of language and ended with it in Abundance. We shared our homeland with lanky ashen figures and sporadic suburban wildfires. The map is here.
  • Dog Eat Dog. My people think the wholeness of their bodies is sacred but the occupiers don't understand. When I run amok I burn the statues of the occupiers gods (which I carved for them). Then I confront the occupiers, brandish my axe, and hack off my own hand in protest in front of them.

They don't get it.
  • Ran a game of Fiasco at the Kansas City Game Fair today using the Ice playset. A suicide that was believed to be murder. Two tour guides, one a drugged up fraudster, the other played for a patsy. An indigenous woman who make relics out of the bones of people she kills. A grumpy and oversexed federal investigator. A visiting promiscuous wife and her candy-obsessed children caught in the crossfire. Oh, and a more or less deliberate helicopter crash.

Yep, it was a fiasco!

Have another one scheduled tomorrow that currently has 10 people signed up. I am thinking we'll break into two or three groups!
  • In theory, the Kerbereans are heading out to deal with a potential Martian problem. Well, right after they help an acquaintance out with something in Scotland. And they'll do that as soon as they deal with some minor social issues, like...

--Rehabilitating the reputation of Lady Alice's fiance, Lord George Mace.

Me: I would note that George has not actually asked for any help on this.... That's not going to stop you, is it?

Sophronia, the Clockwork Fairy: Perhaps if I tell everyone that he's a really good guy... (turning to Victor Knight and his own social problem) So, how is courting Angelina going?

--Sophronia dealing with a house full of mad scientists, one of whom proudly explained about the canons disguised as flower pots which he built on her roof, designed so she could load them by stepping on a cunning contraption he'd created.

Sophronia: Is there anything to prevent, say, a pigeon from stepping on this?

Herman, Mad Scientist #3: I will build pigeon traps!

Sophronia: I can't believe _I'm_ in charge of running the circus. Where did I go _wrong_?

--Reginald dealing with Alice's anger at his deception

Reginald: Alice will probably not hit me again.

Alice: Unless you do something similarly stupid.

Reginald: Alice will probably hit me again.

Alice: I'm still not speaking to you, by the way.

--Dealing with Lord Douglas who'd been challenged to a duel that he really didn't want to fight

Victor: That's a trivial problem to solve.

Reginald / Gregory (reassuring) Not a trivial problem. Just trivial to solve.

Victor: Did you accept?

Lord Douglas: Of course!

Reginald / Gregory: You do know that duels are illegal.

--Trying to deal with the challenger

Sophronia: I don't think that's very fair. He's a Kerberean.

Reginald: He is a budding supervillain. I should point this out.

Sophronia: On our side.

Reginald: As a fellow supervillain, I should pull him back.

(While Reginald probably isn't a supervillain, the entire group would make a great supervillain team)

--Victor mishandling talking to the father of the woman he's in love with

Player: Wow, there were so many ways you could have handled that better. That was wonderful!

Reginald: Were you planning to marry the lady before the trip to Africa?

Victor (not seeing the relevance of this): The thought had crossed my mind.

Victor (after the relevance has been explained): But if it make things easier, I can go ask if she's up for marriage. I'll leave her a note!

Reginald noted that this note said nothing of what Victor felt, so Victor wrote a second note, destroying the first.

Reginald: The first note is better.

Victor: So I write a third note...

Reginald: You know, the first one is you.

• Two story-games played today at the Kansas City Game Fair (and I'm running a "Player's Choice" story-game session tomorrow -- stop by if you are in the area!).

Monsterhearts
    My first MCing experience! I wasn't sure what to expect. I had scheduled a Monsterhearts game for Thursday night, which no one signed up for (nothing against Monsterhearts -- it was my first year at this convention, so I didn't realize that was the "quiet" night). I'd scheduled another Monsterhearts session for last night that got two players, but we thought it would be better with at least three, so we opted for Mice and Mystics (good game, though more of a traditional board game). So, imagine my surprise when I wound up MCing SIX players today. And it went really well overall!

We had Wendy, the Mortal, who was in love with Gerard, the Witch, but being pursued by Levi, the fairly inappropriate Werewolf. Varun, the Queen, was the local gang leader, who had dozens of students working for him as drug runners, prostitutes and even murderers. One of their murder victims, had been dug up and had various body parts (including her very recognizable face) be used for a reanimated Ghoul, Georgia. Rounding out the PCs was the newest student, Adam, a Hollow (actually an android, just brought to life a month or so ago). There was also a murderer running around who had (so far) offed two female students and kidnapped another. In the end, the cuprit was nerdy student, Joey, who ended up being Adam's maker and Georgia's reanimator. He was killed, but not before transfering his consciousness to another body.

Fiasco
    Five-player game using the White Hole playset. We were on a space station next to a white hole (which, we found out later, had been created by the dispassionately observing captain as a scientific experiment). There was a strong religious element to this one with two androids programmed to be basically fanatics to their god, Ungo. Another human (a mean-spirited maintenance manager) was so into her religion that she believed the various visions she had of Ungo in view screens across the space station; he told her that the fabled Utopian Forever land was on the other side of the white hole and to reach it, she would need to 1) ensure no one else escaped the space station and 2) atone for being mean to her underling employee. That employee was in love and partners in crime with a war traitor on the station who had his own means of escape. In the end, both crew members were dead, one android was on the other side of the white hole in isolated silence, and the other android and remaining human were imprisoned. Oh, and it turns out that the "god" people kept seeing in computer screens was a mischevious computer virus set some time ago and run wild! :)
  • Final game I played at the Kansas City Game Fair: Durance. My first time playing this game. We played a three-player game, which gave us a total of six notable characters. The storyline involved a love triangle between a bland Marine Captain, his scheming and power-hungry wife, and her ex-fiance, a disgraced gene manipulator who was imprisoned and now served as the Dimber Damber. Other notable characters included a well-known anarchist whose violent crimes had landed her on the prison, a guard who was a former follower of said anarchist, and a con-man convict who used this knowledge to his advantage, eventually becoming a marine. By the end of the game, we'd had an earthquake, several betrayals and most everyone was dead!
  • In the end, the cuprit was nerdy student, Joey, who ended up being Adam's maker and Georgia's reanimator. He was killed, but not before transfering his consciousness to another body.
    That's awesome.

• edited November 2012
    Fiasco, Hollywood Wives playset. This is only the third time I've played Fiasco, and it finally sung for me. Part of it was probably pacing; we had five players so I was absolutely ruthless about cutting scenes and we finished in 2.5 hours. Watching the Tabletop episodes helped, too--having almost notional scenes. Anyway!

Des and Meesh, friends bonded over a film club, hate their cheating husbands and hatch a plan at a bachelorette party to murder them. Eventually, all four of our Hollywood Wives become implicated, wanting to murder their husbands, too (even the bride-to-be), with the fifth player being the knowledgeable one, having already murdered her husband. The attempt involves a flaming golf cart falling off a cliff. It goes great! Except the golf cart doesn't have the husbands in it.

One wife goes to jail, three end up poor, living in L.A. and wearing jeans (gasp!), while my character made out like a bandit, taking her husband for everything he had after she caught him cheating. What a fiasco!
  • edited December 2012
    Dungeon Crawl Classics, Menagerie of Terror Session 2

A merry night of fratricide as Wil loses two characters to friendly fire. Seth fired into melee, killing Wil's hapless mapper/scribe and Kristian H's unlucky dwarf rolled a negative critical hit while Wil's fighter was standing nearby. The undead ant carapace and its laser mushroom symbiont, who were reconnoitering the intruders, could only look on in puzzlement.

In other developments, Sergovian who is blessed of the underworld decided to turn over a new leaf and join the priestly orders of the Lord of the Bath. He passed off his special skull lady to the Bath Temple's otoroshi guardian, who disposed of her without fuss. Cold!
  • Fiasco, Flyover

That bitch Marcie Lowell rewrote the script to the Christmas pageant and even the Mexican drug enforcer can't give her the comeuppance she so sorely deserves.
  • Playing Burning Wheel where all three players decided to be Dwarves. Just wrapped up the first act with a rousing oratory, power mongering, and some dramatic axe work. This was a curve ball for the GM who was expecting something different, but the drawf-centric story have been incredibly fun.
    --
    TAZ
  • Durance, Iku Pya colony on KKV Nazino

Very good free-flowing session once we got rolling. We rolled in only half of our scenes but managed serendipitous triple "1s" at *just* the right time in a game with "Freedom" as our Drive. The long overdue transport arrived and the Bolter Rhone Haylow and her crew took it over to escape our little hellhole of a colony, leaving a repentant group in charge who'd overthrown an Authority that had been at turns eating and making sex slaves of the natives (shudder).
  • edited November 2012
    High Quality Roleplaying: Tavern wench and occasional magic dentist Edith Tongs busts her lover James Cooper out of gaol; they then fight a werewolf. Cooper is killed pretty much instantly. Edith slays the beast by yanking out one of its own teeth and using the glistening fang to power a spell that turns airborne regular dust into airborne silver dust. Edith Tongs, everybody!
  • Don't Walk in Winter Wood

A young girl left a suicide note on the table of her family home on Christmas eve and disappeared into the wood. Her protective older brother, her kind-hearted suitor, and the village preacher went in to find her. None of the four ever emerged from the woods. Did you think they would? The name of the game says not to walk in the woods. But the real takeaway here is that the preacher used Bible pages as a funnel to pour black powder down a skinwalker's throat before shoving a torch in its face. So he had that going for him, which was good.
  • If you walk in Winter Wood you have voided the warranty on your life.
  • A lot of fun quotes in Kerberos Fate, but I admit my favorite was the meta. Back in January, Josh (who plays Alice) wrote a filksong about Kristen's character, Sophronia, the clockwork fairy, which contains the lines: "I make my own illusions / I want no other sham".

The group was talking with a dreamcrafter, and he offered to craft a dream for Sophronia, who has never dreamed.

Sophronia: What is dreaming like? I sometimes sit on Talos's shoulder and sing to him.

Alice: You've been in a dream with us. (Technically true -- it was someone else's dream.)

Sophronia: Oh. Is it always like that?

Chorus: No!

Sophronia: I don't think I want to have a dream.

Alice: A dream can be unpleasant, but it can also be pleasant. That may an advantage to having the dream be crafted.

Sophronia: Do you know, I make my own illusions?

Josh: Hey! Awwww! I believe I have been quoted.

Kristen: You have been.