[Perilous Worlds] Primordial Ooze Edition!

Hey folks!

Happily, the vibe in my life is a little calmer and quieter recently, so I've had some time to pour into a project. I made this fantasy frankenstein and so far I've been hesitant to share it, but what the hell. Better get feedback now and figure out what's right and wrong with it sooner than later, right? So, without further ado...

Any feedback is welcome. I'll keep crackin' away at it in the mean time. Thanks ahead of time! Hope you enjoy!

Comments

• Overall, it's pretty neat! I'm impressed how much you've managed to bolt together. That said, I'm not a fan of 4E style Zone/Daily powers, and this particular element seems to clash hard with the umbrella AW/DW-derived design. I suppose this might be my framing it wrong; maybe it would help if I think of them as Moves. Also, the inherent "death explosion" ability some of the classes have doesn't work for me. It sort of takes away from the moment of a character's death by making it formulaic, automatically producing a Pyrrhic victory for the opposition.

I particularly like the pack options and the way you detail the Party Backgrounds.
  • Thanks for the feedback Hex! My biggest concern going into this was what parts of the different systems would clash. I too wasn't sure about the use of Daily/Zone powers, but I don't think this will be an issue. A few different AW/DW inspired hacks make use of "per day" abilities, including World of Dungeons if my memory is correct. Zone-based abilities definitely go against the "AW grain" of loose, fiction driven combat, so I could see that feeling a little jarring, especially if you go in expecting something else. I do want to make sure I give credit where credit is due, but I think I may move the "inspirations" paragraph to the back so that people go in with an open mind .

I've read from a few different sources that people sometimes have trouble with AW and DW after coming over from more traditional game like D&D, so one of my goals was to create something that sits in the middle ground of flowy-narrative and crunchy-gamey fun. I'm hoping the combat system adds enough procedure and codification to help bridge the gap.

I'm hoping to have a chance to playtest the game in the near future, so wish me luck with finding a chance to do that. :D
  • That said, I'm not a fan of 4E style Zone/Daily powers, and this particular element seems to clash hard with the umbrella AW/DW-derived design.
    Just out of curiosity, what part of the text struck you as inherent AW/DW? Was it the adventuring system (which is obviously AW-based) or was it the first section of text that specifically states the game based off of *world games? Was it something else?
    Also, the inherent "death explosion" ability some of the classes have doesn't work for me. It sort of takes away from the moment of a character's death by making it formulaic, automatically producing a Pyrrhic victory for the opposition.
    Just to make sure I understand, you dislike the death moves because they produce such a big bonus for the party that it takes away from the victory the monsters just had? Like say, the orks finally take down the healer (yay for the orks!) but then are immediately clobbered by the rest of the party who are now healed back to nearly full?
  • I want to say say this is a nice mash-up of many games i respect.

One minor suggestion: maybe make the attribute modifiers +5,+3, +1 instead of 3/2/1. you have over 55% chance to succeed with the highest attribute (+3), so +5 or even +6 (with +4,+2 for the others) might be a closer approximation.
  • Hi Zachary,

Sorry it's taken me so long to answer.

1) The general take I have is that the mechanical core is AW-derived, and the Zone/Daily stuff isn't something I tend to associate with that. I tend to find those powers pull me out of the fiction into a more mechanistic focus on play. As I thought I'd mentioned, this reaction may reflect my own prejudices, especially since my gaming preferences run strongly toward more free-flowing, interpretive mechanics as found in Heroquest, Other Worlds, and World of Dungeons.

2) Yeah, pretty much. The death moves make death into an auto-move, which I find undermines the drama. Put another way, it mechanizes death in a way that puts character death into a tactical context. YMMV, so I'm not saying it's badwrongfun, but I don't care for it. It's not that it takes away from the victory of the opposition so much as it makes it less dramatically interesting. Hell, I can envision some groups might off their healer themselves as a tactical option. That might be cool in a way, but it doesn't fit with my preferred style.