[Monsterhearts] Cool Classmates and Questions about them

edited December 2012 in Make Stuff!
Since they are a part of the game you can plant from one group to the other relatively easily let's share some classmates (or other NPCs) we made and cool questions to ask about them during the setting creation part. Whatever worked great in your game or just cool ideas in general.

I had a character that I did not start out with a name but a vague description and the question: "What Nickname did you give her that stuck?" The followed up with questions about how well that Nickname was liked.
I put in an NPC whose dark secret was being a drug mule. But it could have been supernatural and got that character stuck at a murder scene without ever being able to tell anything about it without risking herself.

I will add a few more later once I talked with my players which they liked or more come to my mind by brainstorming.

Comments

• My homage to Leona Helmsley in a game I ran.
    Patricia “Patty” Helmsley: Math wiz and charter ( and only member) of the tutoring club at school. Quiet and reserved most of the time. Secretly has worked a scheme to divert school funds by exploiting the “club” addendum to the school district charter, investing them and replacing the graft before anyone notices.
  • Of note: Provocative Classroom Questions, the thread.

My favourite question to ask, one that I've used in probably three games now: "So, there's this kid who's nickname is Blades. Yeah, I know, right? But literally everyone calls him that, even the teacher. How did he manage to get that nickname to stick?"

Each time, the answer has been different.

One time he brought butterfly blades to school, and had allegedly hospitalized another kid by stabbing him in the gut.

The most recent time, the answer was super heart-breaking: "He's got a really rough home life, and not a lot of opportunities going on for him. This nickname was something he really wanted, and finally something his parents could actually give him, so they wrote him a note. And the teacher and all the kids agreed to fulfill his wish, mostly out of pity."
  • Maybe I am too stupid to use the search bar right, I totally overlooked that thread, sorry.
  • Well, McDaldno kindly linked to the thread that had all my awesomest questions in it, so summoning me seems mostly redundant!

In hindsight, I'd say the best questions are the ones that connect people. And the questions that are tied specifically to the playbooks. "Why is your Dark Patron so interested in ______?" "Who does ____ remind you of from a century ago?" "What promise to you did ______ break?" NPCs that remind the PCs that they are monsters.

Come to think of it, "Why does _____ remind you that you are a monster?" is a pretty dynamite generic question. I'd even be tempted to throw that in once per PC if I were running it again.

Also fun: NPCs that remind the PCs that they are human.

• Come to think of it, "Why does _____ remind you that you are a monster?" is a pretty dynamite generic question. I'd even be tempted to throw that in once per PC if I were running it again.
    You could turn it on it's head too and ask "Why do you remind ____ that he or she is a monster or human?" to mix it up a little.

• You could turn it on it's head too and ask "Why do you remind ____ that he or she is a monster or human?" to mix it up a little.
    Stolen.

"How do you remind ______ that they are human?"
    So good.
  • edited December 2012
    Oh, these are fantastic.

I bet some other good generic questions might be:

"This is person is very [stereotype/quality - nerdy, jock, beautiful, smart, exotic, young, whatever]. How does having them around make you feel?"
  • "So A, B and C are all members of an (nearly) extinct subculture (mods, dandys, disco) why are they still going strong around here?"
    "A is always humming that song. Which song is it? What does it remind you of?"

The Thread reminded me of this video ;)

Cliques of one Person seem to happen. Like the only Cheerleader there.