[World of Dungeons Hack] Streets of Mos Eisley Playset

I made this thing for my gaming group and want to share it with you guys. It's basically Michael Wight's Streets of Marienburg, but done Star Wars style. I borrowed lots of art of Wookiepedia since one of my players isn't really all that familiar with Star Wars (if you can believe it) and gets way more into it if there is plenty of eye candy.

Click here or the image above to get to the download page. Enjoy!

Comments

• You can't see it right now, but I'm dancing a little jig of joy.

While wearing my black Sith robes...
  • Awesome! *downloads now*
  • Whoa. Bitchin'.
  • Any chance of a text hyperlink? My phone can't see images in vanilla and so there's nothing for me to click. I'll be away from my computer until like the 7th, so.
  • Looooooooove.
  • This is beautiful!

(The only downside is I'm really not sure how D&D stats work for Star Wars, but don't mind me.)
  • @Paul_T: Guess you never played d20 Star Wars. :)

But yeah, changing the stats isn't a bad idea. I changed them for the Bootleggers WoDu hack, and that turned out to be a good decision.
  • Niiiiiiiice. This might be the excuse I need to run a Star Wars game.

(Shall we hijack this thread and try to come up with an alternate set of stats?)
  • (Shall we hijack this thread and try to come up with an alternate set of stats?)
    Absolutely! I've never liked the D&D stats. I just kinda defaulted. Tough, Quick, Perceptive, Cunning, Persuasive, and Attuned?

• Wow. Love.

Star Wars is one of a half-handful of licensed universes I'm ever interested in playing in and this is stellar.

+1 on changing the Stat names.
  • edited December 2012
    This is cool. Nice work! And thanks for sharing!
  • For reference, the old D6 Star Wars game used Dexterity, Perception, Knowledge, Strength, Technical, and Mechanical. I don't think they're good at all, but worth keeping in mind.
    Tough, Quick, Perceptive, Cunning, Persuasive, and Attuned?
    These are better, for sure, but they're mostly just synonyms for the standard D&D stats. Perhaps try a different tack altogether and go with a set of stats that gives the game a little more pulpy flavour. For example, I'd say that in Star Wars, escaping danger is less about being Quick, and more about being Daring. Thoughts?
  • edited December 2012
    What about getting rid of "stats" and letting players pick from a list of Qualities, or whatever, like maybe Tough, Agile, Daring, Sharp, Aquatic, Technical, Attuned, etc? When a Quality might apply to a roll, add a flat +3 to the roll. Eh?
  • What about getting rid of "stats" and letting players pick from a list of Qualities, or whatever, like maybe Tough, Agile, Daring, Sharp, Aquatic, Technical, Attuned, etc? When a Quality might apply to a roll, add a flat +3 to the roll. Eh?
    I personally like this idea, and had been toying with something similar since someone suggested merging Lady Blackbird Traits and Tags with ApocWorld dice mechanics.

How about choosing, maybe, ten different qualities, and you can apply up to three to a single roll for +1 each, and Species qualities add +2 instead?
  • ...of course, the qualities would have to actually make sense for the action in question...
  • edited December 2012
    That might be a little too non-granular. On 2d6, there's a huge difference between +0 and +3. +3 is almost, but not quite, an auto-pass in the 6-,7-9,10+ result spectrum. And the way skills work, you already have an auto-pass feature. You'd have to re-work skills, too.

If we want to get really free-form with the stats, you can say that you start with a +3, +2, +1, and -1, and you assign a different quality to each. Everything else that doesn't apply to one of those qualities is rolled at +0. I would worry, though, about someone assigning a silly quality to the -1 slot, though. Something that would never come up over the course of normal play, but if there's a solid list to choose from, then that might not be a problem.

@stupidgremlin's "+1 for each applicable tag" was going to be my next suggestion. But again, you've got to have a solid list. Don't want someone picking "Commando" which is applicable to literally everything.
  • Hmm. Yeah I dunno about more free-form approach. Doesn't fit the feel of the rest of the system, you know?
  • Toughness (fitness, fortitude, durability)
    Cunning (subterfuge, trickery, deceit)
    Daring (courage, quickness, coolness)
    Presence (persuasion, seduction, leadership)
    Acuity (knowledge, technical prowess, awareness)
    Spirit (attunement with the force, dedication, willpower)

...maybe?
  • That's more like it. I can't think of anything I'd change about that set.
  • The only things I'm not feeling good about with that set is presumably rolling either Daring or Acuity for firing a blaster (?), and the fact that Acuity lumps knowledge, technical prowess, and awareness together.
  • edited December 2012
    I think I'm feeling this:

Toughness (fitness, size, fortitude, durability)
    Cunning (subterfuge, trickery, manipulation, wits)
    Agility (aim, coordination, reaction, quickness)
    Influence (presence, persuasion, seduction, leadership)
    Acuity (knowledge, problem solving, perceptiveness, technical prowess)
    Spirit (attunement with the force, dedication, willpower, courage)

EDIT: I mean, it's still kinda the D&D stats, but this feels good to me.
  • edited December 2012
    I agree with switching out Daring for Agility, but I like "Presence" better than "Influence". You can have presence without having influence. Influence implies a position garnered through lineage, money, etc. whereas presence is more of a personal trait.

Obi Wan Kenobi, for example, has almost no influence in his world. Most people think he's a desert hermit, and the force is a thing of fairy tales. He even has to beg a smuggler for passage off the planet. But when he chops off that bar patron's arm, or when he faces down Darth Vader, he sure as hell has presence.
  • nodding in agreement
    Hmmm, yeah, I'm on board with this. And I also think Presence is a better term than Influence.

I'll have to save the whole Blackbird/ApocWorld mix of things for something else...hmmmm...
  • I changed them for the Bootleggers WoDu hack...
    Wait @John_Harper ...wut? #WorldOfInterest

• +1 wanting to know about bootlegger world.
    +1 to Presence. I would like to suggest swapping Toughness for Grit. Size literally doesn't matter in the star wars universe (saarlac, rancor, Yoda) and when they do tough things out, it's more determination than physical endurance.
  • Maybe IAWA-style stats like With Love, With Violence, Covertly etc would make more sense, as results seem to be more the consequence of moral decisions than skill.
  • I wonder if one could come up with stat names that were actually used in the movies to describe people or phenomena.

• I agree with switching out Daring for Agility, but I like "Presence" better than "Influence"...
    Agreed. Presence is a better fit.
    I'll have to save the whole Blackbird/ApocWorld mix of things for something else...hmmmm...
    I smell collab.
    +1 on this!
    I would like to suggest swapping Toughness for Grit. Size literally doesn't matter in the star wars universe (saarlac, rancor, Yoda) and when they do tough things out, it's more determination than physical endurance.
    Mmm, I dunno. Grit to me sounds more like determination and an unwavering personality. Which I like, but I think Spirit covers that. To me, Toughness is a physical thing. I agree that size should not be a descriptor for Toughness, though Toughness would be determining the amount of heavy items you can carry in the game so size does seem to factor in somewhere. To me, size is Star Wars doesn't always mean you've got an advantage against a smaller opponent, but in the right hands, size does matter (heh). Take Chewbacca for example - his large stature is intimidating and hints at his ability to rip peoples' arms off.
    Maybe IAWA-style stats like With Love, With Violence, Covertly etc would make more sense, as results seem to be more the consequence of moral decisions than skill.
    Not sure I want to go that route, but this does remind me of the Echo Bizarre stats: Deadly, Shadowy, Persuasive, and Watchful. I really like those stats, though I'm not sure they scream Star Wars to me.
    I wonder if one could come up with stat names that were actually used in the movies to describe people or phenomena.
    Totally pondered this last night, but the only one I could think of off the top of my head was "Scruffy looking" which wouldn't make the best Attribute title...

• I changed them for the Bootleggers WoDu hack...

Damn you, Caesar, you made me think #WorldOfInterest was a thing.

I, too, am very interested in this bootlegger concept, as well. The pitch that got me to pledge to the Hillfolk/Dramasystem Kickstarter was "The White Dog Runs at Night, in which a family of bootleggers struggles against rivals, prohees, the local preacherman and themselves when their patriarch gets himself arrested. This series, as you desire, comes with or without root magic."

My only question was, why would I want it without root magic?!
  • edited December 2012
    For stats and what-not, I think a Star Wars treatment can benefit from having a unified skill list. It doesn't necessarily need stats at all!

(If it has stats, they should be effectively wide skill groups or archetypes, I think.)

I like how this World of Dungeons hack handles skills, for example, it could work well for Star Wars:

If it helps, I've been piecing together its sister game from various old articles that were in a _World of Dungeons_ fanzine from Germany, about the beginning of the apocalypse. Still trying to translate everything, and I've been told that I made some errors here and there...but you might want to look at the pocketmod so far:
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5K_Bqfr0dqcbUgxdUd0T0tXZ2s

I'll probably finish compiling the GM's section soon (the Germans called it the "Overseer"...not sure what kind of connotation they were going for...)
    Just brainstorming for fun, here's a possible skill/stat list:

"Pilot, Technical Knowledge, Jedi, Lightsaber, Marksman, Smuggler, Scholar, Repair, Streetwise, Diplomat"

I like the idea of stats being about how you act, too. I had a game for a while which used these stats as dice pools:

Daring
    Sensitive
    Disciplined (or Cautious)
    Brutal

If I was going to make Apocalypse World-style stats, I might go with something like:

Daring
    Noble
    Dark
    Cunning
    Savvy

And then your skills tell you what you can use the stats for. If you're a Jedi-type, you can choose to use Noble for "good" Force activities, or Dark for when you use your anger. If you're a Pilot, you use your Savvy to roll piloting stuff. If you know how to fix stuff, you use Savvy for that instead.

Maybe someone like Han or Leia uses Daring to shoot people with a gun, but a professional soldier uses Savvy for that instead?

To manipulate people, you could have choices too. You can use Noble for leadership-type rolls, but Cunning to trick someone into doing something they don't want to do (and maybe someone evil can use a substitution move where they roll Dark instead).
  • Yeah, I've been mulling over the stats in my sleep after reading the draft, trying to think of some terms that might fit better.

Perhaps: Fitness, Prowess, Presence, Cunning, Knowledge, and Spirit?

Or, along the same general lines that @Paul_T was suggesting: Menace, Daring, Guile, Charm, Reason, and Force?
  • Menace, Daring, Guile, Charm, Reason, and Force. These I like :)
  • Force should definitely be a stat.
  • I definitely like menace better than toughness. I'd say it better describes Chewie as well.
  • edited December 2012
    Actually - I don't think there should really be a "Force" stat. It feels like it would just become a dump stat for non-Jedi. I'd rather see something that works as force-strength but isn't so specific to force-users. I'm thinking Spirit. So...

Menace (being aggressive, tough, violent, or intimidating)
    Daring (being courageous, acting under pressure, or reacting quickly to danger)
    Guile (being tricky, subtle, manipulative, savvy, or witty)
    Acuity (being smart, sharp, perceptive, or knowledgeable)
    Presence (being charming, influential, diplomatic, or seductive)
    Spirit (being determined, gritty, grounded, wise, and attuned to the force)

What about that list?
  • Those stats are way better. Spirit was the more general option I immediately thought of when Force was suggested.
  • Also, @Zachary_Wolf if you can throw together the updated stuff, I can playtest this tomorrow night.
  • @Keith

As you wish! I'll work on it and repost the updated PDF tonight.
  • Those stats are perfect, yeah.
  • Version 2 is now available.
  • Under Menace, you have aggressive listed twice. Under spirit, you have "and attuned to the force" where arguably you ought to have "or attuned to the force," given that Han is not attuned and yet has a Spirit of about +6.
  • Ah, good catches. I'll make those corrections here shortly. Thanks UserClone.

@Keith
    AP Report requested!
  • edited December 2012
    Something I noticed on Page 13, it still reads:
    Your max Vitality starts at 10+CON and increases as you Level Up.
    It seems like the new paradigm is 12+MEN (although I think I like 12+SPI, or 10+SPI: I think "determined and gritty" would relate to how much damage you can take more so than "aggressive and tough" would).

Also, on the advancement table it says that you can get +1 to Attributes, but (max 3). Several species have max +4 listed - does that mean they can violate the max 3 limit that's on the table?

I will definitely post some AP. Looking forward to it a lot.

But here's something I noticed was missing from the Classes!

THE DROID
    As defined in the Cybot Galactica Design Team Operations Manual, droids are "a mechanical being with a self-aware consciousness, as distinguished from a computer by having a self-contained method of locomotion." They could be designed for labor, battle, science or service. Droids begin by choosing two abilities from the list below, as well as choosing one of the Droid Classes in lieu of a Species. They start with Tech as their Skill, in addition to one granted by their Droid Class.

Designed to Kill: You are outfitted with two concealed weapons and cannot be disarmed except by someone intimately familiar with your model’s blueprints.

Protocol: You are familiar with nearly every language and custom in the known galaxy and do not suffer penalties for being an outsider.

Database: You are able to roll to access almost any information. The GM will add a modifier to the roll depending on the availability of the information (e.g. something known by most Twi’lek traders might be rolled with a +2, but something known only to the Empire’s upper echelon might be rolled at -3).

Dallorian Alloy Plating: You are made of strong stuff; take +2 natural armor.

Reboot: Sometimes you have to run the numbers twice. Once per day, you can reroll any check relating to your programming or systems.

Does Not Compute: Your well programmed circuitry is immune to attempts at manipulation and deceit that is emotionally based (e.g. pleading for help, playing off greed, evoking pity).

Interface: You are designed to work well with other technology and can attempt to use, hack, manipulate or reprogram any piece of tech with enough effort and time.

DROID CLASSES
    Class Two (Science): Daring max +1, Acuity min +2 Academics
    Class Three (Service): Menace max +1, Acuity min +2 Pick Influence, Navigation or Treatment
    Class Four (Battle): Presence max +1, Menace min +2 Special Skill (Assault)
    Class Five (Labor): Guile max +1, Spirit min +2 Special Skill (Strength)
  • This looks great. I like World of Dungeons, and I like Star Wars. I smiled the whole time I was reading through it. I'm still smiling now.
  • So glad everybody digs it!

You're right, Keith, the game was missing droids. Been working on it throughout the day. Not sure it'll work quite like you have it up there exactly (for simplicity purposes mostly) but what you've got is very inspirational and some of it will definitely make it into the doc.
  • Posted my AP in the bite-sized thread, although it may stretch the definition of "bite-sized" a bit.

I'll post feedback on the system tomorrow after sleeping on it.
  • Awesome AP! I love the antiheroism!
  • edited December 2012
    Version 2.1 is now up with the Droid "Species" and Class combo. Beta version or whatever. Thanks to Keith Stetson for the inspiration!
  • After play report:

Dang, we had a good time. I'm not sure I've seen my wife more excited to continue a story thread. The new stats really hit the sweet spot. We rarely had to pause and wonder which stat would be the best to use. There was some confusion about chargen, as some Classes have an ability in lieu of a Skill, so we weren't quite sure how many starting Skills everyone got and if it was the same amount across classes or not. This could use some clarification. Maybe even just “PCs will start with different amount of Abilities and Skills based on their Class and Species choices” (if that’s the case). We probably didn’t help things by creating PCs that were cross-class. The Jedi dropout Xero had one Jedi Ability and one Scoundrel Ability, whereas the ex-soldier Dorne had one Soldier Ability and the other from Scoundrel. The good news is that this let us create the exact characters we had in our heads.

Our group wasn’t a fan of the 2d6x100 cred generation. It might be realistic that PCs have wildly different funds, but the guy who rolled 400 was very annoyed at the girl who got 800.

Oh, also, a space on the character sheet for creds would be nice.

Hero Points were our main sticking point. The way I see it there were two issues:

1) You gain Hero Points by doing something awesome, and you also use them to do something awesome. This is kind of a weird cycle. I wonder if it would be better handled if you get a Hero Point when you fail at something and then later it makes your inevitable success possible. Not sure if you’d then get XP for obtaining them or using them.
    2) They pretty much make you unstoppable. Allowing rerolls of Attributes makes failure very unlikely. The only time our PCs failed was when they thought it would be more interesting. The worse anyone got when using a reroll was a 7. Once those Hero Points started flowing from witty quips and awesome maneuvers, our foes were steamrolled.

Overall, though, it was super awesome fun. Looking forward to next editions!