[Sorcerer] If you show me your one-sheet, I'll show you mine

edited January 2013 in Story Games
How about sharing our one-sheets for Sorcerer while we wait for the annotated version of the rules to arrive?

I have a western one-sheet in a folder somewhere (Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in the West etc.), I will post it when I've found the PDF version.

Anyone else?

EDIT: Las Cruces one-sheet.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Cool! When I see five of these posted here, I will begin loving & brutal critiques!
    (editing this in) ... and put it all on the Sorcerer webpage!
    Best, Ron
  • edited January 2013
    Scumbags -- I love it, Judd.
  • Here's my Death sorcery one.

Sorcerer: Undead
  • Great thread! Seeing these gets me more and more interested in Sorcerer.
  • @trevis and incidentally you have also provided some background for the Death Gate move of DungeonWorld
  • Judd's Blood Simple is my favorite one-sheet, I think we might just play another game using it this year.

Clinton Nixon once wrote (2004) a very interesting cyberpunk-themed mini-supplement called Inside for Matt Snyder's Daedalus magazine. Inside has some very neat ideas, I wonder if it's still out there, or if we can share it? I've got the text saved, but not the illustrations. Is anyone still in touch with Clinton? Is he here?
  • edited January 2013
    @ivan Really? I had no idea. Cool.

Here's that issue of Deadalus, with the 'Inside' supplement. It's on p21
  • Sweet! Thanks!
  • Whoa! Daedalus! This looks amazing! Where can I find more?
  • He only put out a few issues. Maybe only the two. I have fall of 2003 and winter of 2004
  • Daedalus was two issues.

Per, Trevis, and Judd: I'd like to use your names (and work) to aid in a new pledge goal. I hope it's OK if I offer my critiques of your one-sheets as a reward level. Email me to let me know, or to find out more details.
  • Back in 2004, I ran a game set in the world of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Toon Town Confidential

Toon Town Confidential
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is one of my favorite movies and Sorcerer is one of my favorite games. Holy crap!

• Hello

I'd gladly throw in the Carnival Bizarre, which needs some formatting I'd do if Ron felt like retaining it for the critiquing. There are some conceptual problems at its base I think, as the mini-campaign showed (links back to the earlier sessions also included), but maybe Ron's input can iron it out. If not, no skin off my nose.

Toon Town Confidential
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is one of my favorite movies and Sorcerer is one of my favorite games. Holy crap!

Yes, this is a serious chocolate-in-the-peanut-butter moment.

• I've always said I play demons like Toons. The annotations for Chapter 3 explain why!

I believe that gives us five! Per, Judd, and Trevis have all given me permission to use the one-sheets in a tier reward document - Christoph and Steve, please let me know by email whether I can use yours too. They'd be very useful.

Best, Ron
  • Is this going to be a thing where if you reach a certain number the sheets will be released with your comments or is there going to be a specific tier for buying these sheets along with the PDF's and book?
  • Not "going to be," already is! It's a personal purchase; if you pledge for that particular item, you get it. See Update 5 and look for the asterisks.
    Best, Ron
  • The City Screams in Silence

* The environment is a somewhat more surreal version of right here, right now
    * Sorcery involves deliberately invoking nightmares, visions, hallucinations, even psychotic episodes

Inspiration

Movies
    * Brazil (1985)
    * City of Lost Children (1995)
    * Dark City (1998)
    * Metropolis (2010 fully restored cut of 1927 release)

TV
    * Edge of Darkness (British TV drama, not the US movie) (1985)
    * A Very British Coup (1988)
    * State of Play (2003)
    *Rubicon (2010)

Demons are creatures of nightmare and psychosis, brought into the world. They are not usually immediately recognisable as such.

Lore concerns knowledge of the history and personalities involved in developing some degree of control over your hallucinations. Which techniques lead to what effects, who pioneered them, what happened to the pioneers. Lucid dreaming, out of body techniques, controlled psychoses.

Contacting obviously involves searching for your demon in the midst of a nightmare or hallucination.
    To Summon your demon, drag them howling out of the nightmare into the city.
    Binding is the struggle to control your nightmares made flesh
    Punishing a demon is like forcing yourself awake - or visiting someone in a dream and forcing them awake

Descriptors: standard, by the book

Rush job, text only so far, would love some commentary....
  • Oh, man, is it lovely to see Sorceror one-sheets getting posted. I loved these descreet jolts of concept so much; they really have become a part of my gaming toolkit.

While I read and collected as many as I could find, I only wrote one, a modern Mafia one-sheet called The Family Blood. I'm exceptionally proud of it. Take a look and tell me what you guys think.
  • Hey Judd, was the fact that your scumbag might not be with you at every moment an issue?

I was thinking of using conspiracies -- vast, shady organizations with influences everywhere -- as demons, but I was worried it might be difficult to get them into scenes.

If you get jumped in an alley and it'd be an interesting choice of whether to use your demon, but you can't use your demon cuz it ain't there, then it seems like you'd be missing out on the game.
  • Hey David,

I don't think this is an issue. In "regular" Sorcerer, if you have a Passer demon, it may or may not be with you at any given moment. Taking the ability "Link" for your demon can help in this regard (you both always know where each other is).
  • Hey David,

I don't think this is an issue. In "regular" Sorcerer, if you have a Passer demon, it may or may not be with you at any given moment. Taking the ability "Link" for your demon can help in this regard (you both always know where each other is).
  • Hi,
    Travel is especially helpful in addition to Link, for this sort of thing. It allows the demon to show up unexpectedly and effectively.
    Best, Ron
  • edited January 2013
    @Hans_c-o and @UserClone: glad the Roger Rabbit pitch gave you the same sense of excitement as it did for me and my group :)

Since you might be interested, here are the actual play threads our game generated:

Who Sorcerised Roger Rabbit
    Prepping for Toons
    Sorcerer freaked us out
    Toon Town Confidential - final session bangs
    Toon Town Confidential - no longer freaked
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks Steve! I'll be sure to check those out soon.
  • Steve, this is awesome.
  • Hans, Ron, thanks. Sounds like my conspiracy thingy is viable after all. If I ever complete a 1-sheet for it, I'll post it.