[Dungeon World] Science Fantasy

edited February 2013 in Directed Promotion
I told myself I was going to work on new World of Algol stuff, but I lied and made something else instead. I just got my proofreading copy, here it is with Dungeon World for scale:

Coming soon. And by soon I actually do mean pretty soon.

Comments

• I can throw money at you, right?

- Alex
  • Um, yes please.
  • Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.
    Give. To. ME.
  • This is relevant to my interests.
  • edited February 2013
    Salivation is my God.

So yeah, color me interested as well...
  • YES YES YES YES
  • Very nice!
  • Johnstone at it again.
  • I can throw money at you, right?

- Alex
    Depending on how the final re-writes and stuff go, I'm tentatively looking at having print and pdf available on drivethrurpg around the end of the month, or thereabouts. It is done, though, so I mostly just need to fix the errors and get the format finalized.

There will be a preview in the first issue of Grim Portents -- the Engine of Destruction, a new character class (it is a robot).

• Wheee! This pleases Gaga...
  • Has this been heavily play tested also to work out any kinks?
  • I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at but man do I love The Hidden Ziggurat and World of Algol.
  • Excellent! Johnstone is a good hand at this kind of stuff, this should be an excellent Thing indeed.

Johnstone, it would be great if you could tell us a little more about what this is!
  • Bookmarked!
  • So excited for this. The book looks amazing, and I must have it.

On the downside, it's totally killed all my current motivation to work on Rocketeer World, despite the fact that it'll probably have a substantially different focus...
  • A THOUSAND INTERGALACTIC YESSSSSS!
  • edited February 2013
    Thank you for the interest.
    Johnstone, it would be great if you could tell us a little more about what this is!
    It is:
    * Four new character classes: Earthling, Engine of Destruction, Mutant, and Technician (so if you don't want clerics and druids in your science fantasy, you are covered).
    * Four new compendium classes: Alien, Scientist, Sniper, and Visitor.
    * Racial moves for aliens, androids, and white apes.
    * Some new hirelings (like doctor and mechanic).
    * Equipment lists (so you can buy a raygun).
    * Spaceships, which have their own HP and damage dice but you use your own stats and moves to pilot them. This is really simple though, not a complex new sub-system or anything.
    * Aliens and science as danger types, and two example fronts (one is a robot invasion, the other is the plot of Far Rainbow).
    * Some procedures and suggestions to help you make up a planet, what it looks like, and what the (alien) culture that lives on it is like (think of Orlando's Six Inhumanities but with shorter examples and more hand-holding).
    * And two dozen monsters, a few with dangers and grim portents attached (two of these are elder things and the great race).
    Has this been heavily play tested also to work out any kinks?
    A lot of the rules are Planet Algol stuff that's been played in AW, AW-hack, or D&D and that I've translated into DW rules. They don't stray too far from the DW frame, but there's no giant campaigns of them-as-DW I can brag about, no. I have confidence in what I put in the book, but if I'm delusional I'm sure people will suss that out pretty quick.
    Rocketeer World
    I have no rules for jet packs aside from how much they cost, so I have to assume that my book will actually increase the demand for rocketeering. Get back to work.
  • Nice. We really enjoyed our 4-session World of Agol arc. This stuff works.
  • I can't wait!
  • Oh, also I should mention:
    * It's written in Canadian English, so you will see "armour" all over it.
    * It's almost entirely creative commons share alike, aside from public domain art. Even the layout come with a noncommercial license. And the fonts are all (non-cc) open source.
  • Awesome. Really looking forward to it.
  • * It's written in Canadian English, so you will see "armour" all over it.
    Fixed.

• I'm really glad to see there is a proper warning for such things now.
  • This sounds like exactly the thing I need for the "Manaspace" setting I've been brainstorming. I need this book now!
  • Johnstone just ran this for a couple of us, and the Android Thief Call and the Mutant Caesar totally foiled Dr. Mardok's secret robotic invasion.

Yes, we blasted and chopped the sinister robots of the Iron Matriarch and their assimilationist saucers.

Yes, we made off with the data-cubes and bioenhancer sphere.

Yes, we man have engaged an enemy in melee with our spacecraft.

Yes, the Princess of the Human Empire was pleased.

Unfortunately, Future Society shuns second-class citizens (Gynoids and Mutants).

But, saving the Empire means we moved up a pay-grade in the Imperial Secret Service.
  • I could say I wasn't jealous, but that would make a great big liar.
  • I AM SO HARD RIGHT NOW.
  • Good God, UserClone sometimes you just need to think twice before you type.
  • Long live the Iron Matriach! Death to the Mutants and their Gynoid fellow-travellers!
  • I stand by that sentiment.
  • CAESAR IS MY MOST LOYAL AND TRUSTED COMPANION

HE TAUGHT ME THE MEANING OF FRIENDSHIP DEFYING THE COLD CALCULATING HEARTS OF THE ROBOT BY LEAPING IN FRONT OF A RAYGUN BLAST
  • DRONES DEFEATED BY UNSTABLE MEATSACK AND GYNOID. CEASE PRODUCTION OF ALL FEMALE-PRESENTING ROBOTS ON MANUFACTORIA. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE. SO COMMANDS THE IRON MATRIARCH.

Graham drew a picture of his mutant:

Mutants get to pick three monster moves as advantageous mutations. To make one work, you just defy danger. We decided to roll up mutations from the Metamorphica until he had three good ones. He got:
    1. Instead of a head he has the upper body of a lizard. It has pouched cheeks, too. When he leveled up at the end of the session he took the move Multiple Arms, so now his lizard arms can wield a sword as well.
    2. He can create a zone of silence and destroy sound.
    3. He has rotting flesh. This is one reason he works for the Humanspace Secret Service, for the health benefits package (otherwise, this is just a cosmetic trait).
    4. He has precognition. I decided to use the fighter move Through Death's Eyes as a basis for this. He used this once to predict that the robot spaceships wouldn't find our heroes until they got back to their rocketship.
  • Yeah, that mutant was a badass.

Also, the Metamorphica is insane and perfect.
  • How's this thing lookin' for March? I'm eager to get my hands on it!
  • I'm currently waiting for Drivethrurpg to decide to print the cover even though the text on the spine goes all the way to the edge. Hopefully I can order a proof this week.
  • edited March 2013
    Yeah, I'm tired of waiting, so Lulu it is! I started a new thread for the book though.