Good Convention Larp Scenarios

edited March 2013 in Story Games
So, Story Games hive mind... there's this larp convention that runs every August. We're running a little light on offered games as a combination of growing player pool and some regulars being busy with other things this year (I'm one of them - I won't have time to write something new for it this time round). But! There are lots of great prewritten games out there.

Do people have favourite picks for games that:
- can be run inside 3 hours (including setup, briefing, play, debriefing and packdown)
- sits in the 16-30 player bracket
- can cope with a 50:50 gender split (approximate)

Comments

• I recommend asking on Intercon's Facebook page.
  • edited March 2013
    3 hours huh? That's the hard one. My limited experience is with 7-9 player chamber larps. The Maroons is easy in three hours, but it's for a max of eight.

Oh, Og, the Caveman Larp, of course! This game is so rad. Everyone only gets to use the same 17 words to try to interact. It's sort of a boffer larp (you can just hand out cut up pool noodles as clubs) and people wap each other and fall down. You can turn off the lights in the room so that everyone has to find shelter and go to sleep. You can be a strong caveman who gets a big club (double damage) or a healthy caveman who gets up early in the morning, or even a fast caveman who runs away. Or you can be the smart caveman, who gets to choose a word that they know, that they can teach to others. Then dinosaurs attack.

This game has awesome creative constraints and three hours is plenty of time for it. New players love the fact that they don't have to "act" so hard and vets love the challenge to communicating. Chrstina B ran this for me at Gamestorm last year. Whisper me and I'll put you in touch.

(Okay, so here is the most secret awesome part, that's why it's in parentheses. When the smart caveman teaches words to others, it acts like memes for ideas and technology. With such a limited playscape, people automatically react to the new ideas. Invent the word art. Invent the word friend. People will do art. People will be your friend. It's like a friggin' spell!)
  • 16-30 players is bigger than most games I've worked with, also. (I've written several in the 10-13 range but nothing quite so large.)

Have you checked out the RPG.net listing of larp scenarios? They're helpfully listed by group size and most scenarios are available free online.

You might also check out the Jeepform scenarios which are online and in English.
  • Like others, my larp XP is mostly in smaller 4-12 people size. You might check out Shelter In Place?
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks for the tips, guys. Yeah, as a community we run smaller games than that, but at that particular con 16-30 is the sweet spot in terms of not giving our lead organiser conniptions when she does scheduling.

Og the Caveman larp sounds fun. :-)

EDIT: Heh, I just checked the link in the Og post. It looks like the same game that Steve Shipway ran in Auckland very many years ago, and everyone who went said they had a glorious time. Yay!
  • Try a two hour horde larp -- this is where there are maybe 4 or 5 constant roles, and everyone else cycles through PCs that last 5-15 minutes each. GM Space was a favorite of mine, as was Victoria Station -- All Change, Please Change. I don't know how available these are.

It's the size plus the shortened time that's the issue. 3 hours = pick a 2 hour game and figure you'll lose a bit of time on both ends.
  • edited March 2013
    If you're interested in a rather physical and competitive game, I ran one based on the Triwizard Tournament. Players group into 4 teams and compete in a series of mental and physical challenges. It would work for up to around 20 players, maybe 24 before the teams would get unwieldy, plus at least 2 organizers (you could pull some additional people in to NPC roles, if you had bodies to spare).

There are things you would need to make and buy to run it (or come up with alternates for the challenges). Some very light carpentry.

But I'm pretty sure I documented the game reasonably well, because I was getting my second helper last minute and needed documents to get them quickly up to speed.

Let me know if it sounds interesting. I know it's not up everybody's alley.

Edit: Found the website I set up that describes most of the game: http://triwyzard.wikispaces.com/
    Most of what you need other than that is just the extra credit assignments. There are lots of those.
  • This is pretty typical for the size of Aussie Con LARPs. I'd point you in the direction of a few LARP specific designers, but I haven't had much luck with that in the past.
  • Other Horde LARPS that would fit, Council of Houndstooth (Hounds Teeth?) for fantasy, Collision Imminent and Time Travel Review Board for SF. Also if you have trouble finding Victoria Junction, I can ask one of the writers where it might be found...
  • Other Horde LARPS that would fit, Council of Houndstooth (Hounds Teeth?) for fantasy, Collision Imminent and Time Travel Review Board for SF. Also if you have trouble finding Victoria Junction, I can ask one of the writers where it might be found...
    You know, I would love to run the Victoria Junction game. We've never run a horde game in NZ that I know of, and the elevator pitch sounds fun. Would you be OK with putting in a good word for me with the writers? I can find a listing for it at the Peaky Games website, but it doesn't look like it's published.

• Is this at Chimera? I'm looking at the feasibility of coming to the 2014 one. I think you've already had Diamond Geezers (which I wrote with others), Camp David and Ecumenical Matter. Victoria Junction is absolutely runnable by us, it might need some work to have other people run it but would be happy to do so with someone
    my email is queenortart @ gmail . com - drop me a line and we can talk about it
  • It is at Chimera, and we would love to see you. (Just sent an email before I logged in at StoryGames.) :-)
  • So, I ran Victoria Junction on the weekend, and it went really well: lots of scratch costuming, sleep deprived people acting crazy, some very bad miming of being a train, and frequent cries of "Perks! Find this man's fleas!" (or along those lines.) And the game ended on a very patriotic note - the staff of the railway loudly singing God Save the Queen in order to drown out the shouting of the suffragettes as the Queen's train rolled into the station.

Thanks, queenortart!
  • Fantastic, glad it worked out.
  • I'll second that thanks - it was a fantastic game, exactly what was needed for a final session on Sunday afternoon.