[DW] Adventures on Dungeon Planet

edited March 2013 in Directed Promotion
Hello, I'm Johnstone Metzger.

I have a new book out: Adventures on Dungeon Planet.

You may know me from my previous work, which includes: The Metamorphica, Heralds of Hell, World of Algol, Sexy Deadly, the tables on page 14 of Dark Heart of the Dreamer, and a few other things, like my semi-regular gaming group Red Box Vancouver. But nevermind that stuff now.

Adventures on Dungeon Planet is a science fantasy supplement for the award-winning role-playing game Dungeon World. It has all sorts of cool stuff in it:
* Four new character classes: the Earthling, the Engine of Destruction, the Mutant, and the Technician.
* Three new PC races: aliens, androids, and white apes.
* Four new compendium classes: the Alien, the Scientist, the Sniper, and the Visitor.
* Futuristic gadgets, special equipment, and robots.
* New rules for spaceships.
* New dangers and two example fronts that use them.
* Procedures for creating alien planets and cultures.
* More than 30 new science fantasy monsters.

It is also full of really old pulp science fiction art from the early part of the 20th century!
And a few pieces from the Prismatic Art Collection.

You can: buy the pdf by itself for $8 from Lulu.

Or: buy the softcover and the pdf together for $20 from Lulu.
[Once you buy the print version, you will receive a link to a free pdf version.]

I was going to include the character sheets along with the pdf of the rulebook, but Lulu makes combining print and pdf too damn complicated already, so I guess will just have to give the sheets away for free. Enjoy!

If you have any questions, please ask.

If you have any problems purchasing from Lulu, whisper me here and I will do what I can to fix the problem.

Hey! More pictures!

Comments

• Woohoo! It's true: Johnstone is at least 65% responsible for the goodness on p.14 of Dark Heart. The other 35% is the responsibility of white apes. Can't wait to see what he's done here.
  • Sold!
    Print and PDf ordered! Can't wait to lay my eyes on this!
  • This looks So. Rad.

"Dr. Glazkov!" exclaimed Biff Coalsack. "It's the awesomeness meter! It's over 9000!"

Also, Lulu is having one of their 20%-off deals through this weekend, code-named VERNUM. That's 20% more awesomeness!
  • Heh. I wish I knew about that deal an hour ago, ;)
    How long does it take for PDF orders from Lulu to go through? It hasn't shown up in my downloads yet.
  • Yeah, I don't see any signs of a PDF version either. I bought another e-book in the same order, and that one has a download link on my Order History page, but Dungeon Planet just says "paperback".
  • When you buy the print version, you should get an email with "A Lulu Thank You" in the subject line. That will have a note and a link to a Lulu page where the pdf costs zero dollars. I am not sure how fast Lulu sends these thank you emails out, though.
  • I just got the download email, so it took about 90 minutes for me.
    This thing looks slick! I love the old comic book art. Now I know what I'm doing this weekend.
  • Thanks! I'm actually really happy with how the printing turned out, too. The pages are similar quality to the DW hardcover but the ink is super, super black. So hopefully the printers local to other people do the same quality job.
  • edited March 2013
    Oh! Also I have a couple of actual play write-ups here and here. They are pretty short on rules descriptions, but do illustrate the two example fronts in action.
  • Got the download email now; thanks!
    Downloading it literally right now…
  • edited March 2013
    Oh! Also I have a couple of actual play write-ups here and here. They are pretty short on rules descriptions, but do illustrate the two example fronts in action.
    I heartily approve of the inclusion of flumphs in your game!

• Sweet. Is there an inspiration list in the book? I know a few science fantasy movies and books, but more would be great.
  • Sweet. Is there an inspiration list in the book? I know a few science fantasy movies and books, but more would be great.
    Page 140!
  • I heartily approve of the inclusion of flumphs in your game!
    This is hilarious. I had no idea.
    Yeah, there's a short list of games, books, and movies I had in mind while writing it. You can find the Russian movies (Stalker, Solaris, To the Stars by Hard Ways) on Masfilm's youtube channel, by the way.
  • Can u do a psychic hero (aka not-as-over-the-top Lensman)?
  • edited March 2013
    The Earthling has a few psychic powers, yeah, kind of like what John Carter has in the first book.

I didn't finished a full-blown psychic character class, though (maybe in a future book), but somebody else made a Psion character class, and you could use that or swipe moves from it.
  • I've read through it now, and I'm impressed. In fact I was chortling out loud at several points while reading (the description of the Multitool is hilarious — one of the few places the Hitchhiker's Guide influence shows through.)

When I first heard about this project I was unsure about layering atop Dungeon World instead of making it a standalone AW hack. But it really seems to work out, since having a base of magic and fantasy go go along with the pulp sci-fi really helps nail the planetary-romance genre.

Retooling the core classes into sci-fi equivalents was a brilliant idea, especially the Cleric-into-Technician: the existing spell memorization rules turn into a solid mechanic for the ability to whip up various flavors of weird science devices on brief notice, without giving the character too much power. I think I've rarely been so eager to start playing a particular character type, as while reading through this section.

The layout is well done too, with a great selection of old pulp artwork along with simple but clean typography. I can't wait to have the physical book in my hands!

My group has been playing stock DW for the past few sessions. We just cleaned out a dungeon, but I think our storyline is still going; I'm going to push for playing Dungeon Planet next. We're all Lovecraft fans too, so I could sweeten the deal by promising to include some Elder Things...

PS: Johnstone, you've noted that the layout is CC-licensed; does this mean it's OK to give out PDF copies to my group to whip up interest?
  • I also feel compelled to list some more classic reference works for inspiration —

"Flash Gordon" by Alex Raymond — The original comic strip is much better than any of the movie adaptations, with really beautiful artwork, and the plotline is pure Planetary Romance.
    "The Dying Earth" by Jack Vance — super-influential tales of a far future where technology and magic are almost completely indistinguishable.
    "People Of The Talisman" and all the rest of the Eric John Smith stories by Leigh Brackett — Hardboiled adventure on Mars and elsewhere, by one of the groundbreaking female SF writers (who co-wrote the screenplay for The Empire Strikes Back decades later.)
    "The Dark World" by Henry Kuttner — Very much fantasy on the surface, but set in a future world with technological underpinnings explaining much of the magical stuff.
    "Before The Golden Age" — Not sure if this is still in print; it's an anthology (edited by Asimov, I think?) of 1920s pulp sci-fi stories from before people started figuring out how to write "good" SF.
    The "Tom Swift" novels by "Victor Appleton" and "Victor Appleton, Jr." — Wow, these are terrible literature (the product of the same sweatshops that gave us Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys), but full of thrilling super-science. For some reason these were my gateway drug into SF, when I discovered them in 4th grade.
    "The Witches Of Karres" by James Schmitz — Unjustly-obscure classic of humorous SF. Set in a galactic empire but has plenty of weird magic and psionics.
  • PS: Johnstone, you've noted that the layout is CC-licensed; does this mean it's OK to give out PDF copies to my group to whip up interest?
    Yes! That is exactly what the license means.
  • This is really cool, Johnstone.

But I'm confused by one thing:

* What is the semantic overlap between Dungeon Planet and World of Algol?
    * What are the non-overlapping parts of Dungeon Planet and World of Algol?

Help me separate those two in my mind! I can tell they're different... and yet, I have trouble saying how, exactly.
  • edited March 2013
    Sure!

Planet Algol is one planet, with a specific setting, developed by Blair Fitzpatrick. So it has specific races and cities and dungeons and stuff in it, and anything he makes up for it conforms to a specific aesthetic style. World of Algol is just me hacking AW so I can run games in his setting. You can make up the setting yourself, of course, but Planet Algol comes with one (or I should say it is one).

Adventures on Dungeon Planet is all science fantasy. It's John Carter, Buck Rogers, EC comics, H.P. Lovecraft, Jack Vance, the Strugatsky brothers, it's all sci-fi from the last half of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century and whatever else you want to throw in there, but there's no specific setting as a default. You still have to make that up just like you do in Dungeon World. There's no yellow Gresh men and no Agog city.
  • YESSSSS! Ordered. Can't wait to play this.
  • edited March 2013
    Oh hey, I should probably have mentioned this already, but since I am cribbing Rafael Chandler's business plan here I might as well go in whole hog, right?

If you buy just the pdf and later on you want to get yourself a print copy because you like it so much, but you don't want to pay for the pdf twice, get in touch with me at johnstone (dot) metzger at the gmail thing and I will set you up with a discounted version of the softcover that doesn't come with a pdf, so you can have them both for the same price as everybody else.
  • Has anyone who ordered the soft cover on Friday night received the PDF link yet? Starting to wonder if it is a manual process and I may be waiting till Monday or something.

In the meanwhile I have checked out the playbooks, and really loving what I have seen so far. Can't wait to dig into the full book!

- Colin
  • PS: Johnstone, you've noted that the layout is CC-licensed; does this mean it's OK to give out PDF copies to my group to whip up interest?
    Hey Johnstone, could you please elaborate on this a bit? Is the text under a CC licence too? And which CC licence have you gone with?
  • Colin, it's an automated process run by Lulu, but if it's taking a long time you can whisper me your email and I'll send it to you myself.
  • edited March 2013
    Hey Johnstone, could you please elaborate on this a bit? Is the text under a CC licence too? And which CC licence have you gone with?
    Sure. The text is entirely attribution share alike (cc-by-sa). Whatever you want to do with the text is fine as long as you put a cc-by-sa license on it. The art I borrowed from the Prismatic Art Collection is all cc-by-sa. The rest of the art is public domain in Canada (the book is published in Canada). The layout, ie the physical appearance of the pdf and book and all the modifications I have made to the public domain artwork (including the Saturn logo which I made out of some random NASA photo), is all non-commercial share alike (cc-by-nc-sa), so you can reproduce it for non-commercial purposes. The fonts are open source under the SIL open font license or the ubuntu open font license (this doesn't matter for the print version, but the digital fonts embedded in the pdf are actually covered by copyright).

So you can copy it for non-commercial purposes, basically.
    And you can reuse the text as long as it has a cc-by-sa license on it (but you can sell it if you want).
  • Cool, thanks, Johnstone!
  • This has me thinking of running Expedition to Barrier Peaks, Gamma World or Metamorphosis Alpha with DW now :)
  • Really enjoying my read of the pdf, Johnstone. What does The Earthling's magic potion do? Drink some and find out? :)
  • Sure. The text is entirely attribution share alike (cc-by-sa). Whatever you want to do with the text is fine as long as you put a cc-by-sa license on it. The art I borrowed from the Prismatic Art Collection is all cc-by-sa. The rest of the art is public domain in Canada (the book is published in Canada). The layout, ie the physical appearance of the pdf and book and all the modifications I have made to the public domain artwork (including the Saturn logo which I made out of some random NASA photo), is all non-commercial share alike (cc-by-nc-sa), so you can reproduce it for non-commercial purposes. The fonts are open source under the SIL open font license or the ubuntu open font license (this doesn't matter for the print version, but the digital fonts embedded in the pdf are actually covered by copyright).

So you can copy it for non-commercial purposes, basically.
    And you can reuse the text as long as it has a cc-by-sa license on it (but you can sell it if you want).
    Thanks Johnstone, I was considering buying it anyway but this has sealed the deal.
  • Cool. You're partly responsible, what with pushing uh encouraging people to use cc licenses, although since I'm building my work on top of other peoples' materials it's only fair. Instead of DW's cc-by I picked licenses that would force me not to care about piracy and also ensure that people who use my stuff share their stuff as well. Here's hoping it works out!
  • What does The Earthling's magic potion do? Drink some and find out? :)
    My first reaction: "What? The Earthling gets a magic potion?"
    My second reaction: "Oh, right! I gave them the Narnia gear list."
  • Colin, it's an automated process run by Lulu, but if it's taking a long time you can whisper me your email and I'll send it to you myself.
    Excited about this product, Johnstone. Having the same problem as Colin... ordered the book and PDF and still nothing shows up in my Ebook account. Will whisper my email if that's OK.

• Sure, no problem!
  • edited March 2013
    Just read the whole thing. I LOVE IT!

The planet, ship, and alien creation stuff is especially awesome.
  • I concur. These are the best sandbox tools I've seen.

From reading the starship rules, it would be simple to hack them for sea-going vessels in a regular DW game, or even airships for something more steam punk/Lady Blackbird.
  • You don't have to take it too far to get to Iron Council-style Ultimate Golem Fighting, either.
  • We are having THE MOST FUN with Dungeon Planet right now. It is very very good.
  • Agreed. We were about to start a Stars Without Number campaign, but then this came along and served my imagination as GM better. This is the sort of sf setting+ruleset combo I've been longing for. I don't know the planetary romance genre that well, but I put Judge Dredd, Star Control 2 and Lovecraft together, along with other wild stuff, and am in sf heaven.
  • Just one question: does Dungeon Planet change the DW system much, or is it a set of playbooks and such that fit on top of DW? I'm thinking that this would be pretty awesome for a Book of the New Sun type game, with the barbaric future and oversized palaces and old rocketships being used as guild towers.
  • It fits on top of Dungeon World and plays the same.

The playbooks change the flavour of things, but there's still only four of them so it's not like you can just ditch the DW ones. The spaceship rules are really simple vehicle rules, and the rest is all science fantasy-flavoured stuff that works by the regular DW rules or tips and tricks for adding science fantasy colour to DW.
  • Just got it and wow, it's full of sword-and-planet goodness. My favorite bit so far, from the section on making alien PC's using the DW character classes:
    Ranger
    Combine two of the following to determine your animal
    companion’s appearance:
    Aardvark, bear, bird, cactus, cat, centipede, crustacean, dinosaur,
    dog, horse, insect, jellyfish, lizard, mole, moth, octopus, orchid,
    pangolin, serpent, snail, spider, squid, tree, turtle.
    That makes me want to create an alien Ranger right now and force someone to run a game for me.
  • Dungeon Planet is probably the best game product I've bought in recent memory. It's the shit.
  • Now if only I could find a storefront that would garner as much praise as my books!

Just a heads up for people: When you buy the print version of Dungeon Planet from Lulu, they are supposed to send you an email with a thank-you note and a link where you then get the pdf for free. But these emails have not been going out for the last four or five days. This used to happen occasionally, maybe one in every ten or more purchases, but now it seems that nobody is getting these emails. So if you buy the book before this problem is resolved, email me at the gmails like it says in the product description and I will get you the pdf within 24 hours.
  • Ranger
    Combine two of the following to determine your animal
    companion’s appearance:
    Aardvark, bear, bird, cactus, cat, centipede, crustacean, dinosaur,
    dog, horse, insect, jellyfish, lizard, mole, moth, octopus, orchid,
    pangolin, serpent, snail, spider, squid, tree, turtle.
    Katara: The king is having a party at the palace tonight for his pet bear!

Aang: You mean platypus-bear?

Katara: No, it just says bear...

Sokka: Certainly, you mean his pet skunk-bear.

Toph: Or his armadillo-bear.

Aang: Gopher-bear?

Katara: Just... bear...

(Moment of silence)

Toph: This place… is weird.
  • edited May 2013
    Johnstone, I ordered from Lulu and got the message right away.

There has got to be a better way, though - having to jump through the dumb hoops and "buy" your free thing is pretty annoying. I wonder if you could get the Dungeon World guys to host it in their adventurer's guild somehow?
  • Yeah, I should probably just give a link to a host site, since the sales data doesn't actually do much for me anyway. Shouldn't I have some concerns about doing that, though? Doesn't that make it easily google-searchable or something?
  • If you care about keeping it secure (?) have the Lulu message say "download it here or at my more convenient site, whose password is jasonisfantastic" perhaps.