HOT GUYS MAKING OUT released

Hot Guys Making Out, my passionate role-playing game about two beautiful men failing to contain their forbidden love for each other, is now available for purchase.

You can buy it at Indie Press Revolution and shortly at CelStyle. It will be available at my site in the next few days. If you prefer to buy at a local store, any store which carries CelStyle or Indie Press Revolution catalogs should be able to order it for you.

How much does it cost?
$13 for the print and $6 for the PDF.

Like with all my games, a PDF will be available for sliding-scale purchase. Because I'm on vacation this might be delayed, though.

What's it about?
Hot Guys Making Out is about the relationship between Honoré, a former nobleman, and Gonsalvo, his ward. They are both totally gorgeous and have the hots for each other. Also pretty often there are other people trying to kill them. It is set in a remote village in the Pyrenees during the Spanish Civil War (1930s) but you don't have to know anything at all about the history or setting to play.

It takes 1-2 hours to play (in a 4 hour "one shot game" slot you can play two games!), is simple and easy to learn, and can be played either as a single story or as chapters in an ongoing game.

By popular demand, it includes rules for character creation.

Who is this game for?
It is for anyone who loves intense, passionate, dramatic stories about beautiful men kissing each other.

Is it fun?
It is fun.

Is it sexy?
It is sexy.

I don't trust you. Who else says it's fun and sexy?
"Hot Guys Making Out is brilliant and fun." -- Vincent Baker
"I love Hot Guys Making Out." -- Joe McDaldno
"Delicious romantic tension & tragic suspense." -- Abi Nighthill
"…intensely personal…" -- Joel Shempert

edit: removed confusing joke.

Comments

• D'oh!!!! April Fool's joke!

Well, I can tell you you won't be making out with this Hot Guy next time you're in NYC, Mr. Lehman!
  • (except it's not an April Fool's joke. Ben's lying. It's a real game and it's been in development for years and it is amazingly fun to play.)
  • (except it's not an April Fool's joke. Ben's lying. It's a real game and it's been in development for years and it is amazingly fun to play.)
    +1
  • I can confirm that it is, indeed, a real game. And it is real hot.
  • I really like this game, and was stoked to pick up this final version at Gamestorm this year, especially after having such an amazing play of the playtest version at Gamestorm last year.

Though the art isn't my jam, & I'm not familiar with the source material, I've still had hilarious campy instances of play (with poignant moments) and also touching instances of play with genuinely sexy moments. The mechanics are great ~ the playing of cards inter-meshes with the fiction in a way that feels very natural, with enough pause-for-mechanics and enough choice-at-each-juncture that the tempo of the game adjusts itself to a very enjoyable pace. It reminds me of the early games of The Hydra with Daniel Wood. Anything that reminds me of those instances of playing with Daniel i will gladly put down some dollars for.
  • Played this at GeekGirlCon a while back. Very tight. Happy to see it bein' all super pretty.
  • I played Gonsalvo at GameStorm and it was indeed fun and sexy. :)
  • Hot Guys Making Out is about the relationship between Honoré, a former nobleman, and Gonsalvo, his ward.
    What, like, his adopted son?

• Roger: No.
  • edited April 2013
    Thanks for putting this up, and for the sneak-peek playtest copy last year.
    I love the style of the art.

I'm having trouble with ipr... is there a way someone could post me a direct link to the HGMO purchase page?
    (n/m, got it sorted and ordered)
  • edited April 2013
    Hot Guys Making Out is a great piece of game design and a story we Story Gamers don't otherwise get to play. For once we get a sweet, romantic, hot story instead of the one about grim-faced heartbroken people deciding which to sacrifice, their beliefs or their relationships.

Roger: Hot Guys Making Out is only transgressive if you think gay characters in love are automatically transgressive.

-Vincent
  • edited April 2013
    I played it without artwork, but the artwork now totally sells me on this.
  • instead of the one about grim-faced heartbroken people deciding which to sacrifice, their beliefs or their relationships.
    God, no kidding.
  • Yeah, basically you are not allowed to sacrifice the relationship in Hot Guys Making Out. Because, if you do that, well... why are we playing again? We play so we can see hot guys make out with each other.

--

Roger: To expand on the "no:" Gonsalvo comes to live with Honoré because, if he stays in Nationalist occupied territory, he will almost certainly be murdered (his parents have already been executed). The moment he arrives (a moment described in the book and used as "the start of play" the first time you play the game) it is love at first sight.

You play out every moment of their relationship from the love-at-first-sight. If you want to make it creepy and dysfunctional and incesty, you can, but you have to bring that to the table consistently. The game will fight you every step of the way by making sure that, despite your attempts to problematize their relationship, it is genuine and loving and erotic and sympathetic.

Basically, you can make the game have problematic elements in it if you try really, really hard. But you have to bring those elements yourself, carrying them over a mountain pass on your back.

Generally, the game is more often about the development of this intense relationship, against a background of threats against it (interpersonal problems with friends and former lovers, the violence of war, the fact that homosexuality is an executable offense, and so on.) The relationship between the leads isn't the problem; it's the solution.
  • edited April 2013
    That said, if you desperately want to problematize the relationship, I have a few minor hacks brewing in my head you could use to do that ;) Not that I care to use it, mind. The suggestion was implied and my brain got working is all.
  • edited April 2013
    Ben: I have to ask this (don't judge me!) but have you already developed a Batman hack of this game, or is it just sitting there waiting to be done?

PS My Monsterhearts group are totally up for playing this as written soon. Win!
  • edited April 2013
    Ben : It is a really well crafted game. Congratulations.
    Semajmaharg : There is a butler you definitely don't want to mess with. So I guess it is even easier than you think. ;-)

If I had to hack it though - which is definitely not necessary IMHO - , maybe due to personal history, I guess it would be an "interracial" (not sure about the word) love story in a racist environment. Maybe something like slaves during american civil war.
  • semajmaharg: There are guidelines for adapting the game to play your favorite slash pairing. For copyright reasons, I didn't include a worked example, but it's a pretty simple three step process.

(Basically: What do they each bring to the relationship? who are the support characters? What are the threats?)

I may or may not have a White Collar version written for personal use.
  • Okay! I was just unfamiliar with what the concept of "this dude is this other dude's ward" meant. Thanks for all the clarification.

The hack I most want now: Lethal Weapon.
  • Roger: No problem! I am totally guilty of using your question to make a broader point about the game.

... and OK clearly we're going to have to have some sort of fan hacks repository.
  • Yes please :D

• Semajmaharg : There is a butler you definitely don't want to mess with. So I guess it is even easier than you think. ;-)
    Functionally though, I think Alfred would be more of a Maria than an Olivier though: he's more of an advice than Taking Care of Business kind of guy. In place of Olivier, I'd probably include Barbara Gordon/Batgirl and have her have a crush on Dick Grayson/Robin/Gonsalvo (inverting the kicker for the initial HGMO, where Maria has a thing for Honoré).

It is possible I've thought about this too much.

• Semajmaharg: I think you are thinking about it the right amount. ^_^
  • Semajmaharg : I don't know anything about Batman (except from the latest movies). I really trust you on this one. I come from the Pyrenees and am perfectly happy with the setting as it is :)
  • semajmaharg: When playing it at Gamestorm this year, we played Batman with the numbers scratched off - Captain Crystal, his new sidekick Shard, & (ok, bending Batman around back on itself) Captain Crystal's now-jealous partner-in-crimefighting Quartz.

Don't miss your chance to do the zipup scene.
    Oh.
    My.
    God.
  • It's up on CelStyle! if you would rather buy from CelStyle.