Every year there's some talk about how to make Nerdly more friendly to the first-time attendees. I'm not sure that we ever implement any of those ideas. This is me trying to fix that.
Please suggest ways we can make sure that first-time attendees feel welcome and included. My ideas:
* Buddy System -- every new person gets assigned an old person to answer questions and make sure they find the fun
* Meet and Greet -- instead of going heads-down into games as soon as you get there, host a formal "everyone takes part" event; certainly someone can turn this into a game of some kind?
* Chores -- give early kitchen duty to some people so they immediately have something in common
* Welcome to Camp Nerdly Pamphlet -- even though everyone supposedly knows how it works from the wiki and whatnot, people don't; produce a short leaflet to explain how things work (I WILL DO THIS)
* Say Hello -- remind yourself often to say hello and meet people you don't know; introduce people you do know to others (this ought to be part of the Nerdly Code)
* Orientation -- some kind of not-stupid and not-boring event to welcome first-time campers to the event