The Deep - A Cthulhu Dark Adventure

text

Hello everybody.

This is the second adventure I wrote for Cthulhu Dark, the rules-light system for lovecraftian horror by Graham Walsmley. It was made a year ago, in spanish, and now is horribly translated by myself, so is like a decaying page ripped from one of those old arcane tomes born from the twisted mind of a madman. (So watch your sanity.) The players play the crew of a cargo spacecraft on a nine-month journey to the far reaches of deep space, with the mission of bringing back an archaeological discovery found during excavations in a mining colony. It's a two-sided sheet and is made in the same trifold format as the Apocalypse World playbooks, so you can print it and fold it into three, and you end up with a small and convenient booklet.

In this adventure, you will not find:
    • A pre-made story. I give you the framework. The players will give you the horror.
    • Pre-made characters. Characters are made during the course of play, not before.
    • Lovecraftian lore. There is no info about known creatures or gods. You can use whatever it seems fit or create your own on the fly.
    • Combat. But could be some kind of fight here or there.
    • No investigation, no clues. This is pure Horror.
Insteed, you will find:
    • The framework for a horror story told to you by your fellow players.
    • Instructions about how to make this easy to GM.
    • A ready to play one-session scenario that develops different every time you play.
    • A lot of possibilities.
    • Enough information to play it with almost no preparation.
Clear inspirations: Alien, Flatliners, Sphere.
Not so clear inspirations: A Nightmare on Elm Street 3, A Perfect Storm, The Abyss.

Hope you like it.

Download 1.6 (english)
Download 1.5 (spanish)

Comments

• edited May 2013
    duplicate post deleted
  • edited May 2013
    This looks really great - I'll print some out and leave them on the freebies table at Go Play NW. I may even run a session.

Thanks!
  • duplicate post deleted
  • duplicate post deleted
  • After my first read-through, I really like it! Since I'm offering Cthulhu Dark at Origins Games on Demand in a few weeks, I'm thinking of adding this fine scenario to my repertoire.

Question: it's a little unclear (maybe it's just me) how to read each column in order. I think it's: page 1=right to left, page 2=left to right. Is that correct? If so, I can't figure out how to fold it to make a handy booklet.

Again, this may just be my issue. Any help is appreciated.
  • Also, where is your first Cthulhu Dark adventure? If you have a dedicated site, I'm having trouble finding it on Google.
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks John, Aaron. I'm glad you like it.
    Question: it's a little unclear (maybe it's just me) how to read each column in order. I think it's: page 1=right to left, page 2=left to right. Is that correct? If so, I can't figure out how to fold it to make a handy booklet.
    It's a trifold page, like the ones from Apocalypse World. Search for "trifold" in Google for examples.

The cover image is the front page, the "The Keeper's Job" section is the back. This way:

text
    text
    text

I suppose at first you read the back, then the "Create Poblems" section, and then the adventure itself.
    Also, where is your first Cthulhu Dark adventure? If you have a dedicated site, I'm having trouble finding it on Google.
    I created three Cthulhu Dark scenarios, but in my notebook, with a pencil. I still have to write them in my computer, but I'm a little lazy. :p

The first one is set in a Mars colony, and the second one is based on the movie The Hidden. I apologize if I was not clear about that.
  • I am Cthulhu and I approve this message.
  • I really like it, and I like the format, too. I'd like to see more adventures/modules (for Cthulhu Dark, or not) in a one-page trifold. And you have the approval of a Great Old One. Well done!
  • edited May 2013
    I am Cthulhu and I approve this message.
    Thanks! Now I have to make an Insanity roll. Ups. My Insanity has now increased.
    I really like it, and I like the format, too. I'd like to see more adventures/modules (for Cthulhu Dark, or not) in a one-page trifold. And you have the approval of a Great Old One. Well done!
    Thank you very much. I make my own Chulthu Dark trifold rule set (with bits from Dark Tales and the Stealing Cthulhu version) but I don't know if Graham is OK about me sharing the document. I don't wrote anything new to it, but includes more material from that sources.
  • You should ask him. He was very gracious about me posting my Cthulhu Dark variant, Cthulhu Grey.