Where should I go, in 1000 AD?

RyRy
edited May 2013 in Story Games
OK, so my time machine is stuck on 1000 AD.

What are the sights? Who's interesting?

I'm especially interested in castes and subcultures, the kind of thing I can multiclass into (or, if you like, learn moves from their playbooks).

Comments

• Haripunjaya, dinner with the Queen there is a grand affair.
  • Jerusalem, great food, wonderful history and the Christians aren't in charge.
  • America! It's the period between the well known empires so there is probably lots of room for adventuring although you miss out on sweet classes like jaguar warrior and message runner.
  • edited May 2013
    Iceland. Oh wait, subcultures and multiclassing, definitely Spain.
  • Australia, you will see where those pink slugs disappeared to for the past 1013 years. Oh those mysterious slugs...
  • Byzantium.
  • Jason, don't sell the skalds short! There's a playbook for them already, right?

The Queen Cam thing sounds neat but I'm not sure who to be in Thailand.

Jerusalem should have been obvious, somehow I forgot it. Constantinople too.

For America, what's that culture destroyed by the Navaho? Anasazi? Do we know anything about their elites?
  • The Mediterranean - lots of cultures and subcultures in close proximity. And clean water. That's important.
  • The introduction of Buddhism to the Japanese archipelago from China and Korea in the sixth century causes momentous changes amounting to a fundamentally different way of life for the Japanese. Along with the foreign faith, Japan establishes and maintains for 400 years close connections with the Chinese and Korean courts and adopts a more sophisticated culture.

By the 10th century, the once glamorous city of Heijo was descending into lawlessness. Unruly monks from the monasteries in Nara or on Mt. Hiei frequently poured into the city to demand greater privileges. Footloose warriors and thugs roamed the streets, robberies were committed in broad daylight, and even the walled residences of the aristocracy were sometimes pillaged or burned. There were frequent fires in the Emperor’s palace and the official buildings, and the Great Audience Hall, the symbol of imperial prestige, was not rebuilt after its third major fire in 1156.

Meanwhile the provinces were also slowly slipping into anarchy and rebellion. The Fujiwara, although adept at court politics and intrigue, had little taste for the rigors of military campaigns or the cut and thrust of battle. Many nobles did not wish to leave the capital for a dangerous post in some remote province, and so sold their appointment to a deputy, many of whom used this to build up their own fortunes. While they were officially required to return to the capital after four years to report on their stewardship, many deputies simply got themselves reappointed and stayed in the provinces. To entrench themselves and further their interests, they frequently made alliances with local warrior families.

Warriors who had, or could claim, noble ancestry became the nuclei around which several of the largest regional warrior leagues clustered. Particularly in the rough frontier region of northern Honshu, chieftains claiming noble lineage refined the techniques of mounted warfare and elaborated the “way of the bow and horse,” the warrior tradition that eventually developed under Confucian influence into bushido or the way of the warrior. These warriors lived in the countryside. They provided military service, ceremonial guard duty and economic support to their lords, in return for which they got both confirmation of their land holding and the spoils of war. When they were not fighting, they were expected to practice their fighting skills, lead frugal, arduous outdoor lives, and prize valor, loyalty and family honour - but many simply looked out for themselves. In this period, the turncoat was probably as common as the selfless vassal.