First draft of my Dreamation games

Here's my first draft of the sessions I'll be running at Dreamation. I decided to split my selfishness in running my own game and my community spirit in running the games of other designers right down the middle. So I'll be doing six sessions in total. That doesn't sound like a lot, but remember that there are only a total of 11 gaming slots at the con.

I'm looking for feedback on the "grabbiness" of the events, as well as some idea as to which ones seem most appealing. I didn't go with any of the specific ideas put forth in this thread, but it did help to get my creativity going. So I'm looking for a bit more community help, before I post my events over here.

Title: Choose your own adventure
System: Unistat
Description: The free Unistat system is versatile enough to handle adventures in your favorite fictional setting, whatever it might be, and you can start play in under a minute. Have a series of books or movies you’d like to bring to a role-playing session? Sign up and let the other players vote on your idea. Once a setting is selected at the table, we’ll jump right into play.

Title: Only the dead…
Description: War is on the horizon. Will you fight, or strive for peace? In this session of Unistat, each character is a separate nation, and players can speak through whatever person is appropriate at the moment.

Title: Knights of the Living Dead
Description: The zombies destroyed civilization as we know it. Generations later, humanity clings to survival in wilderness towns, staying away from the cities where the undead swarm. But even an isolated village is never safe, and the Shield Knights are all that stand between the townsfolk and the ravening undead. Pick up your burning shield and fire sword, light your candle, and prepare to stand against the darkness.

Title: Mean Streets
System: Capes
Description: Not all comics are bright spandex and costumes. Some comics are mean, brutal, and violent. Sometimes the “hero” is just the guy who turns his own evil on a greater evil. Are you ready to step out onto the Mean Streets?

Title: Universalis
System: Universalis
Description: Play the game where everyone is a game master – Universalis, the game of unlimited stories.

Title: Froward’s Creek
System: Dogs in the Vineyard
Description: Something is wrong among the Faithful of Froward’s Creek. Pick up your Book of Life, your six-gun, and your coat of office and ride in to set things right.

Tear into 'em, folks. Don't hold back, I've got thick skin.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Description: The free Unistat system is versatile enough to handle adventures in your favorite fictional setting, whatever it might be, and you can start play in under a minute. Have a series of books or movies you’d like to bring to a role-playing session? Sign up and let the other players vote on your idea. Once a setting is selected at the table, we’ll jump right into play.
    I dig what you're trying to do here, but I'm feeling too much "explaining" here and not enough "doing". Try something more like:

Bring your favorite series of books or movies as ideas to the table. We'll grab 'em all, put 'em in a blender, and bake our own setting on the spot. Then we'll use the free, versatile Unisystem to make it come to life. Play what you always wanted to in your favorite setting -- choose your own adventure!

(More on the others as I give them a more proper read.)
  • Title: Only the dead…
    Description: War is on the horizon. Will you fight, or strive for peace? In this session of Unistat, each character is a separate nation, and players can speak through whatever person is appropriate at the moment.
    Killer concept, but I find the language for selling it to be pretty flat past the pitch. Try:

War is on the horizon. Will you fight, or strive for peace? Step onto the world stage as the great nations of the time, and into the lives of their citizens to bring it all down to a human dimension. Using Unisystem, together we'll shape the world and the lives caught in the balance.
    Description: The zombies destroyed civilization as we know it. Generations later, humanity clings to survival in wilderness towns, staying away from the cities where the undead swarm. But even an isolated village is never safe, and the Shield Knights are all that stand between the townsfolk and the ravening undead. Pick up your burning shield and fire sword, light your candle, and prepare to stand against the darkness.
    This is the high water mark for your pitches. Make them be like this one.
  • Title: Mean Streets
    Description: Not all comics are bright spandex and costumes. Some comics are mean, brutal, and violent. Sometimes the “hero” is just the guy who turns his own evil on a greater evil. Are you ready to step out onto the Mean Streets?
    First two sentences feel a bit stilted. Try:

Ditch the spandex and costumes -- they got no place here. These are the brutal and violent comics, the ones that ditch the comics code in favor of nasty grit. Are you heroes? Maybe. Sometimes the "hero" is just the guy who turns his own evil on a greater evil. Are you ready to step out onto the Mean Streets?
    Description: Play the game where everyone is a game master – Universalis, the game of unlimited stories.
    This is where I remark that Universalis is about the hardest damn game to write a Grab Me And Make Me Register pitch of your entire set. :) Still, I think this needs punch -- I just don't have suggestions.
    Description: Something is wrong among the Faithful of Froward’s Creek. Pick up your Book of Life, your six-gun, and your coat of office and ride in to set things right.
    Reverse those two sentences for starters. Add a little more.

Pick up your Book of Life, your six-gun, and your coat of office -- it's time to ride for right! Something is wrong among the Faithful of Froward's Creek, and it's up to you and your fellow Dogs to bring the sin to light and pass judgment the only way you know how: a Dog's way.

Something like that.
  • edited November 2006
    Andrew...
    I like the title Choose Your Own Adventure, but the description is almost unreadable. I'd keep the same ideas but phrase it in more simple language: "Unistat can handle any game you want. Your favourite book? Or TV series? Or Homerian epic? Unistat can handle them all. Bring your ideas, we'll vote on the best and we'll start play in under a minute."
    Title: Only the dead…
    This is fine, and makes it sound interesting, except for the last phrase: "players can speak through whatever person is appropriate at the moment". I don't understand it. Could you either cut it out entirely or explain it?
    That one's perfect.
    Title: Mean Streets
    So's that. I want to play it. I like yours better than Fred's, with all due respect to Fred.
    This doesn't quite tell me anything. I'd want something more like the one for Choose Your Own Adventure: something that says "Bring your ideas..." etc etc.
    I like the tone of this, but things like "Book of Life" will only mean anything to someone who's played Dogs before. Could you tweak it a little? "Something is wrong among the Faithful of Froward's Creek and you've been sent to make it right. Mount your horse, pack your gun and ride into town. You're God's chosen. Are you ready to pass judgement?"

I do hope that's of some help. Normally, I'd have sugar-coated my criticism, but you said in the other thread that you didn't like that.

Graham
  • I generally agree with Graham's take on them.

I think the Choose your own Adventure could go something like:

We can call on the spirit of your favorite D&D boxed set or capture the essence of your favorite novel, TV show or movie. Using Unistat we will brainstorm out a game's situation and premise and delve into four hours of play. The system makes it easy, please join us and find out how.
  • I will chime in with the comment that "Choose Your Own Adventure" is an amazing "marketing" move that is guaranteed to diddle peoples' nostalgia nodes.
  • No Sailor Moon Dogs? Boo. (Oh well, I'm in PA now so Dreamation was gonna be unwieldy)

• Awesome. Fred, your write-ups are almost universally better than my own, so don't be suprised to see some of your exact text make it into the listings.

Graham, good thought on the Universalis write-up. I'll include some description of what playing it actually entails. No worries about sugar-coating, I'm very happy with the feedback. Honestly, if there was bite in your comments, I'm completely oblivious to it.

Judd, thanks for the feedback.

Rob, this was not accidental. :-)

Shreyas, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I know far too little about Sailor Moon. Sorry to hear you might not be attending.
  • Is cool. Maybe I'll get Jon to run it next GenCon or something. ^_^ (I suspect I will be attending, but it's gonna be a struggle...)