[Patreon] Monthly Monsters for DW and LL

edited October 2013 in Directed Promotion
So, I started a Patreon project: Monthly Monsters.

Long blog post here.

The skinny:
Each month I write two or more monsters, stat them up for Dungeon World and Labyrinth Lord, and my friend Nathan Jones draws them. Well, okay, he draws them first, then I write them up.

Right now, if you pledge $2 a month, you get the Monthly Monster (each month), and if you pledge $4, you get the Monthly Monster and the Bonus Monsters. How many Bonus Monsters there are depends on how much we have in total pledges (minimum one). I'm considering rewards for higher pledge levels, but don't have anything concrete just yet.

I'm kind of following Eppy's model here, where only people who pledge get the monsters, instead of producing stuff for free and asking for support.

I'm looking at a bunch of different options in order to make this project more interesting, fun, and attractive. Stuff like:

-- Creative commons licensing. I usually do this, but not always. Is it important to you?

-- A pledge level where you also get physical copies of the book mailed to you, not just the pdfs.

-- Random draws to give away some of the original art pieces.

-- Allowing patrons to request a monster occasionally. But how? A specific pledge level, a random draw, or a community vote?

What do you think?

Comments

• I'm looking at a bunch of different options in order to make this project more interesting, fun, and attractive. Stuff like:

-- Creative commons licensing. I usually do this, but not always. Is it important to you?
    My answer to this probably isn't going to surprise you, but yeah - having it under the Creative Commons Attribution or Attribution-ShareAlike licence is important to me.

The first thing is that there's plenty of DW content being created, and plenty of it is CC Attribution or CC Attribution-ShareAlike licensed. Since I'm spoiled for choice in what to spend my DW dollars on, why not give yourself the extra edge with CC?

There's also an element of reciprocity. Adam and Sage bravely licensed DW, making it possible for us to build on their work, and I feel like we owe it to them to let others build on ours.

Finally, there's an appetite for CC licensed art (see, e.g. the Prismatic Art Collection). Using a CC licence on Nathan's artworks might encourage non-gamers to chip in too.
  • I actually use the Prismatic Art Collection, so I'll see if he wants to go that route. Or even a non-commercial license.

He wanted me to lower the early stretch goals so I did that. He's pretty enthused about doing full colour art, even though it takes longer.

The text will be cc-by-sa when it's in book format for sure. I'm still thinking about it for individual releases, and if it'll have any affect on me making changes between Monthly Monster and finished book (responding to feedback, adding stuff like connections between the monsters that go into the book, fixing stuff I have better ideas for, etc).

I also have to think about what that does for the Labyrinth Lord versions and whether or not I should put those under the OGL (which also is much easier to do with the final book than with individual monsters, just because of all the text that needs to be included).
  • I posted the second and final preview monster today. This one is a full-colour illustration. You can download the pdfs from the Patreon page.