Fix the REAL Solar System with me

RyRy
edited June 2014 in Make Stuff!
The Earth orbits the sun every 360 days precisely.

The moon orbits the earth every 30 days precisely.

Comments

• Come on, surely we can do better:

Move Jupiter to roughly Earth's current orbit, and add Earth, Mars and Venus as satellites. Hey presto, it's a system of something like 60 planetoids in the habitable zone!

Admittedly we'd pretty much have to forget about making the diurnal, solar and lunar cycles into neat multiples of each other at that point.
  • edited June 2014
    I'd also recommend changing Mercury's orbit to a highly elliptical one (tilted appropriately so as to avoid collisions with other planets), making it possible for a sort of "tourist" to "hop on" and then spend time traveling through the System - a sort of automatic gravitational elevator, essentially, traveling between Mercury's current distance from the Sun and the far reaches of the habitable zone (perhaps sling-shotting around Jupiter's new location as proposed by Eero).

It would be extremely useful to scientists and researchers as well as joyriders, of course.
  • So we'll have a diurnal day/night plus a day/night from being in Jupiter's shadow.

So there's day, night, dark day, and dark night? I'm already excited about making clocks for this.
  • I hope you're thinking of making solar clocks.
  • What does this do to our tides? And how long does Jupiter stay between us and the sun?
  • Admittedly we'd pretty much have to forget about making the diurnal, solar and lunar cycles into neat multiples of each other at that point.
    To the contrary, I think that might make things easier. The Galilean moons of Jupiter already have their orbits as neat multiple of one another (Europa's orbit is twice Io's, Ganymede's orbit is twice Europa's). The gravity of the planets naturally forces their orbits into sync with each other. We could do the same, so that Earth, Mars and Venus all have orbital periods that sync up with each other regularly.
  • So we'll have a diurnal day/night plus a day/night from being in Jupiter's shadow.

So there's day, night, dark day, and dark night? I'm already excited about making clocks for this.
    If this is a problem, you could tilt the Earth's orbit a few degrees off of the solar system's plane, so that it doesn't pass through Jupiter's shadow.
  • Like my grandma said; take care of the tides, and the tectonic plates will take care of themselves.
  • I think we need to add breathable air to space. Why constrain it to a thin layer around earth?

Venus REALLY needs some dinosaurs too, but that might be "awesomify" territory.
  • All of the planets should have amazing, diverse life on them.
  • Especially ours.
  • edited June 2014
    @Paul_T; I'm actually gonna gripe about that for a minute; Earth has too many biomes. In fiction we have Desert Planets, Jungle Planets. Ice Planets... Earth is too diverse, leaving no room for other worlds in the system.

let's see, Mars is our Desert Planet, Venus is a Jungle Planet, lets make Mercury our Cavern Planet (surface is too hot), Neptune is an Ocean Planet (duh)... I'm guessing we'll leave Jupiter a gas giant so we can keep all the moons, Saturn is the Ring Planet, Pluto is the Ice Planet...

Not sure where that leaves Earth; City Planet? Not even gonna try to classify Uranus...
  • edited June 2014
    Two words: Dyson Trees.

Develop space kudzu that can live in vacuum, survive off sunlight and convert ice, rock and dust into more of itself. Excess water and oxygen are sequestered in pods we and other plants & animals can inhabit. Develop another version for colonizing gas giants.
  • Should we put a dark, dense alien torus around the edge of the system to keep the inward-moved gas giants from falling into the sun?
  • Sean Raymond, an astronomer, did some of the heavy lifting for you already to figure out how to get the maximum number of planets in the habitable zone of a star.

Ultimate Solar System 2: gas giants with Earth-sized moons and trojan binary Earths
  • Sean Raymond, an astronomer, did some of the heavy lifting for you already to figure out how to get the maximum number of planets in the habitable zone of a star.
    Whaaaaaaaaa♪♪♪
  • Our Solar System should have a Matrioshka brain.
  • This is an awesome thread so far. I got some inspiration from it allready.