What hooks you about D&D Next?

RyRy
edited July 2014 in Story Games
I want to know what gets you excited about D&D Next.

The game itself, especially the implied fiction.

Comments

• So far mine has been the prominence of things like the nothic. That nothic is messed up and scary looking and there it is in the starter set.
  • Not spending hours hunting for hidden bonuses or rules loopholes thought the book, to finally get a block of stats that allows me to interact with the fiction the way I want, instead of a Character. I always loved the concept behind D&D, for me this is a system that finally lets me enjoy it.
  • I always loved the concept behind D&D.
    What parts are you excited about - fireball-whipping wizards, superior-minded elves, castles that sank into the swamp?

• Backgrounds are cool. It made me want to play a halfling fighter folk hero and I've never wanted to play a halfling before.
  • Exactly, what I want is to explore my imagination, but not on a wheelchair. Whenever the game had to be paused for the GM to look for an obscure rule for X special situation it felt for me like watching the most exciting moment of a movie on Youtube through a crappy internet connection. Whenever I wanted to jump as a monk on top of a monster to attack it and bounce back, but found that I needed a chain of three feats to do so, it was like suddenly finding that my monk didn't passed the P.E. tests at his temple.

Sure, I love the D&D setting's material, but previous editions felt like I had to breath the atmosphere of the game through a tube.
  • Backgrounds are cool. It made me want to play a halfling fighter folk hero and I've never wanted to play a halfling before.
    Heh, I did that too for my first example character. Oh, Zolto the Vengeful Archer, will you ever see the light of play?

The thing that hooks me is the way that character motivation is baked right into character gen. Even though these mechanics are really light and non-centralized relative to games like BW, TRoS, TSoY, and LB, I'm cautiously optimistic that their mere presence will encourage groups to develop shared backstory and investment in each other and in the GM's adventures.

Also what WarriorMonk said about the simplicity and usability. It's not just that the rules are easier to implement, it's that they're more closely rooted in the fiction. Bounded accuracy is a great idea.

Matt
  • I'm excited to see a version of D&D with simple mechanics that harken back to Basic D&D but with some character mechanics (BIFTs/Inspiration) that feel like Fate or Burning Wheel to me. I look forward to how people are going to take that tiny rule and make it into something spectacular and totally unlike Your Father's D&D.
  • I've been pleasantly surprised by the simplification of things and the inclusion of stuff like inspiration which gives us a whole lot more leeway to more story-centered games.

Most of all, I just the simplicity of the advantage/disadvantage mechanic - I'll use it all the time when I DM in the future. Can't wait to see how it flows in actual play.
  • I am really digging the simplicity combined with the streamlined, unified mechanics. So far it seems like they're going in the exact direction I would want them to go.

I also am very impressed by the recent adventures they've put out for 5e--Phandelver is a great entry to the game, and I appreciate the focus on characters, adventure and exploration over encounters and set-pieces. It is the kind of D&D I want to play, which is a varied, consistent and world open for the characters to live in, explore and interact with. And I've got to mention the character summaries and their ties to the town and the adventure, which are really great. I am just impressed overall. They're taking it in a good direction and, if the Starter Set is any indication, gearing towards modules I would actually like to run.
  • edited July 2014
    1. It's D&D. While that has not always turned out to be true of some editions (to some people), this one at least explicitly makes the attempt. A lot of the core is actually there.

2. Somewhat simplified rule set in many areas, and in areas where it isn't (or doesn't fit your preferences) it seems you can mostly skip it or mod it without significant impact.

3. Setting potential. Even though I'm sure only a couple settings will get the nod, any time we're talking D&D we're flirting with my favorites. The possibility of a revitalized Greyhawk, Oriental Adventures, Dark Sun, Al'Qadim, Spelljammer, Dragonlance, Lankhmar, Mystara, Birthright, Blackmoor, Ravenloft, Planescape...heck, even Forgotten Realms (though mostly just 1st edition for me).

4. Actively being produced. Since I didn't play 4th and very little 3rd it's been a LONG time since I could engage with others outside my groups about the most important game/hobby in my life. I've NEVER had the chance to go to a con where a version I played was actively supported for instance. Haven't been able to look forward to or buy new material in about 16 years now.

TLDR: I'm excited about the IDEA of D&D 5th edition because of the stated purposes...even if most of the meat of the game is exactly what I don't want and would never play.