[5e] Microlite5E - a trim hack of 5E that's backwards-compatible

edited January 2015 in Story Games
Download Microlite5E here and let me know what you think.

---

I thought some people might be interested in my new take on 5E. It tries to remove trap choices and pissant bonuses that clog up character creation and gameplay, while keeping every meaningful character choice.

It follows in the tradition of Microlite20, which was

… a trimmed-down, subminiature version of [Dungeons & Dragons third edition] that has been designed to be quick and easy to play. The goal was to create a simpler game, but one where all of the resources of [D&D] (monsters, spells, adventures and equipment) could be used without conversion.

Changes: Microlite5E keeps all class features, but simplifies weapon and armour choices, replaces skills with broader proficiencies, reduces races to a single feature, prompts an optimal ability modifier array and discards ability scores to use modifiers only.

It also comes with a two-page monster creation system that should make DMG-legal monsters.

Download link

---

An example character:

Sage Tiefling Monk.
STR +1, DEX +4, CON +2, INT +0, WIS +3, CHA -1.
HP 10, HD 1d8, AC 17, Saves proficient STR and DEX (+2), advantage on Tiefling
Two unarmed +6 (1d12+4), dart +6 (1d6+4)
Skills Tiefling, Monk, Sage
SQ unarmoured defence, martial artist; hellish rebuke 1/day, resist fire; Researcher
Equipment shortsword, 10 darts, dungeoneer's pack, a bottle of black ink, a quill, a small knife, a letter from a dead colleague posing a question you have not yet been able to answer, a set of common clothes, belt pouch (10gp)

---

It looked like on here there was a flurry of interest in 5E a bit before it came out, and then very little - I'm interested to know what you think of this.

EDIT: Oh, and a character sheet: http://fossilbank.wdfiles.com/local--files/source:chris-sakkas/microlite5e character sheet.png

Comments

• edited January 2015
    [comment deleted]
  • I don't have any feedback of consequence to offer, but for the record, I am interested. Thanks for sharing this!
  • I found the 5e chargen complicated, but mostly because of all the flipping back and forth between chapters in the PHB. A condensed reference sheet would take care of that, without stripping out any rules. In play, 5e has been quite straightforward.

So far none of the D&D-based retroclones/simplifications have really interested me, because they're still basically D&D. I'm more interested in games that change it into something really different, like Donjon or Old School Hack.