Cobralingus #1 (game over)

edited February 2015 in Make Stuff!
This is a PBF approach to the surrealist technique called "Cobralingus" and invented by author Jeff Noon, who wrote with great conviction that, played with intention, this technique never fails to pull together a meaningful (if highly symbolic) story or poem. The PBF version uses a 17-sided die, which fortunately we happen to have: <roll>1d17</roll>.

THE GAME IS PLAYED by taking an "INLET" text, considering it as a "SIGNAL", and putting it through a random series of transformations or "FILTER GATES" until arriving at an "OUTLET" text (which happens when someone rolls "Save" on the d17), whereupon the game is done.

TO TAKE A TURN, make a post in which you do nothing but roll the d17. Consult the table below for your filter gate. Then post again, typing the name of your move in CAPS and then run the signal through that filter gate (i.e. perform the indicated transformation on the text). Note that this is a cumulative procedure, so each person will be acting on the state of the signal which was left behind by their immediate predecessor.
TABLE OF FILTER GATES:
1 = CONTROL
2 = DECAY
3 = DRUG
4 = ENHANCE
5 = EXPLODE
6 = FIND STORY
7 = GHOST EDIT
8 = INCREASE SENSE
9 = MIX
10 = OVERLOAD
11 = PLAY GAME
12 = PURIFY
13 = RANDOMIZE
14 = RELEASE VIRUS
15 = SAMPLE
16 = SEARCH & REPLACE
17 = SAVE
NOTES:
1. No one may make two moves in a row.
2. If "Save" is rolled on the first turn, replace the INLET text with a new one.

DEFINITIONS:

INLET
The start-up text. The initial signal on which the device will act.

OUTLET
The final result of the filtering process.

SIGNAL
The text itself, as it passes through all its filter gates.

FILTER GATES:

CONTROL - Brings the text down to earth. Forces language to behave itself.

DECAY - Gently breaks down the text. Dissipates. Introduces corruption to the signal.

DRUG - Injects artificial stimulant into the language. Type of drug will always be specified. (e.g. Anagramethane, Metaphorazine, Fecundamol)

ENHANCE - Creates elements of beauty.

EXPLODE - Breaks up signal into highly disordered fragments. To be used with caution.

FIND STORY - Forces text into the nearest possible narrative, however nonsensical.

GHOST EDIT - Kills the text. Calls up a ghost to haunt the language.

INCREASE SENSE - Significantly enhances text. Increases readability.

MIX - Combines all elements into a single entity.

OVERLOAD - Drastically increases image density of text. To be used with caution.

PLAY GAME - Mischief maker. Encourages craziness. Results may surprise the user.

PURIFY - Loses deadwood. Selects images or phrases from the text.

RANDOMIZE - Disorders text. Parts of text may be lost or changed.

RELEASE VIRUS - Attacks text, changing words of choice into others of a similar sound. Recommended for advanced users.

SAMPLE - Introduces new element to signal. Source of sample to be specified.

SEARCH & REPLACE - Uses machine function to introduce new elements to text. Elements always specified. For example, 'Search and Replace: day with night.'

SAVE - Denotes that the OUTLET text has been attained and the Cobralingus device has been deactivated. End of game.

For the INLET text, I have decided to quote the definition of "Roleplaying Game" from Wikipedia. Anyone may go next. Here it is:
INLET:
A role-playing game is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.

Comments

• (Rolled: 1d17. Rolls: 17. Total: 17)
  • (I'm not delighted by this result, but there it is.)

SAVE
    If "Save" is rolled on the first turn, replace the INLET text with a new one.

I've decided to quote the definition of RP from urbandictionary.com, edited very slightly.

NEW INLET:
    Roleplaying is an interactive social activity for people with the ability to write and improvise.

Sadly, roleplaying is being invaded by people who can't write OR improvise OR follow common rules of etiquette.

By the way, roleplaying is a game. Anyone who thinks that it relates directly to real life any more than, say, Crazy Eights does might want to have their head examined.
    Somebody go next.
  • edited February 2015
    [REMOVED]
  • (Rolled: 1d17. Rolls: 14. Total: 14)

POTENTIAL CHEATING DETECTED. If it appears that dice were rolled in this post, they may need to be disregarded as fabricated.
  • Huh. I used an online dice roller and got a 14. I'll use the Story Games code next time.

RELEASE VIRUS
    Attacks text, changing words of choice into others of a similar sound. Recommended for advanced users.

NEW INLET:
    Ruleflaying is an intentional social activity for people with inability to rote and improve.

Sadly, ruleflaying is being inveigled by people who can wrote OR improve OR follow common reels of netiquette.

By the way, ruleflaying is a claim. Anyone who thinks that it relates directly to role life any more than a maze or crates does might want to have their head examined.
  • (Rolled: 1d17. Rolls: 10. Total: 10)
  • OVERLOAD

Skinning rules alive (rule-flaying, for short) is an intentional social activity for people with inability to rote and improve.

Sadly, ruleflaying is being inveigled by people who can wrote OR improve OR follow common reels of netiquette.

By the way, ruleflaying is a claim. Anyone who thinks that it relates directly to role life any more than the dark and confusing dungeons of an ancient palace, possibly inhabited by a half-human, half-beast monster, or crates does might want to have their head put on a surgeon's table and cut open to reveal the curious workings of its insides.
  • (Rolled: 1d17. Rolls: 7. Total: 7)
  • GHOST EDIT
    Having been flayed, under the rules I could no longer be improved. Or was it that I had been improved by flaying? Was that my head on the surgeon's table, cut open? There is no claim I can make anymore. Half-beast, half-human, I no longer relate directly to life.

• (Rolled: 1d17. Rolls: 14. Total: 14)
  • edited February 2015
    RELEASE VIRUS
    Halflings being flambe'd . Hunger for the rules could no longer be impelled. Nor was it that I had beings impaled and flambe'd. Once, that my head, on surgeon's label was cut open. There, in claim was that I can nevermore have the best. Half-human, I no longer retaliate against life.
  • (Rolled: 1d17. Rolls: 10. Total: 10)
  • edited February 2015
    OVERLOAD

NEW INLET
    Halflings (half in size? half human? half-hearted? O' never, we would never say so) burning, cooked alive: flambe'd you would say but not from heated and flavoured by alcohol they had already consumed--no, this was an intentional act. And shall we dwell on the horror? No, we cannot be compelled to do that: no law, no rule, no punishment can do anything to demand considering this monstrous scene. I stand accused, yes--that my hand, surgical and precise, created this outcome, but consider the counterpoint: this act (surely you can see) was beyond me, morally, psychologically and emotionally. It was literally beyond conception. I do here and now renounce the idea that I could have conceived of it. To do so would make me half human; to do so would leave me defenceless against life itself.
  • (Rolled: 1d17. Rolls: 7. Total: 7)
  • GHOST EDIT

Defenceless against life itself I quit that mortal coil. No longer need I (or we) dwell upon the horror that is the dusty world. Here there is no compulsion.
  • (Rolled: 1d17. Rolls: 17. Total: 17)
  • edited February 2015
    Defenceless against life itself I quit that mortal coil. No longer need I (or we) dwell upon the horror that is the dusty world. Here there is no compulsion.
    SAVE.
    The game has ended.
  • Thank you all for playing. Anyone who wishes may begin a new game by starting a new thread and copying the rules from above.

• edited February 2015
    My comments:

· Nice demonstrations of how to use a "ghost edit"! I was seriously wondering what to do with that move, had it come up.

· I wonder if the game experience would be improved by a "weighted" table of gates, giving different moves different chances to occur. Specifically, the more massive the change called for by the move, the less likely its occurrence.
  • /nods in agreement.

Another alternative would be a point system of some kind (Google +1's would be good for this), eventually enabling one to "purchase" the higher-cost filters.

Lots of possibilities here. Like Brian Eno's "Oblique Strategies" or many other surrealist techniques, it can pretty easily be folded into a lot of different mechanics and applications.

• This is pretty marvy.

-Vincent
  • Second that! I'm having fun.
  • This is lovely.
    Have you ever heard about the OuLiPo?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oulipo

This game has definitely something to do with this movement.
    Very very very interesting.
  • Four years later...

I really enjoyed playing this game with y'all, and I hope to do it again. So I've just started up a brand-new game of Cobralingus over at Fictioneers.net. Feel free to jump in there, or contact me directly if you'd prefer to start your own. I'm nothing if not flexible.
    https://fictioneers.net/forums/play/cobralingus-1
  • Oulipo lives on.
  • Indeed.
  • Holy Vurtsnacks! My Cobralingus game was endorsed by Jeff Noon!
  • Congratulations !
  • Woop woop!