Prep help tonight: Ry's Sandstorm Assassin Bugs

RyRy
edited January 2016 in Make Stuff!
(Actually for Wednesday night, posting on Tuesday evening)

Humans are a de facto underclass in a city of Fold, populated by various insectoid species. The PCs were planning to steal from an insect noble as part of a resistance movement. But they got separated by a gang of any folk and then a sandstorm kicked up.

Left on a moment of high emotion, the 2 player characters finding each other in the sandstorm while being pursued by assassins in league with a different, demented, body-grafted noble.

Ask me questions about:
  • Concrete things in the player characters' experience
  • happening in the rolling NOW of the campaign world
  • that will increase pressure on the player characters (but not always in the same way)

Comments

• edited January 2016
    What does a sandstorm feel like on your skin?

What's the worst thing that can happen in a sandstorm?
    What do folks do to protect against that?
    How well-situated are the characters on that front?

Who could use the sandstorm as cover to do something to the characters they otherwise couldn't do?

Not having read the earlier thread yet, I offer this as feedback on the phrasing of the request:

- I had a lot of questions about what the assassins and nobles might be up to, but that's unbeknownst to the PCs, so I stopped myself.

- I also had some leading question ideas ("Who do they find in the sandstorm?" etc.) which I also shut down on a guess that that isn't what you're looking for.

- In restricting myself from (a) inventing fictional developments to ask questions about, and (b) asking about things going on in the distance that the PCs don't know about, I wound up focusing heavily on the "where we stopped" info you provided. That was key. If you'd stopped somewhere safe, in between endeavors, my brain would have done very different things with this.
  • -What kind of player resources won't work in this specific sandstorm and why? Like, are those resources still on their belongings?

A bit of a derrail perhaps, but this reminded me of a scene in a book called "Tuareg", where there's a mention of a great caravan that once tried to cross the worst part of the desert. Nobody ever saw them again, until in a scene later, the main character gets lost in the desert and comes across the remains of a camel, then another one, and then he finds so many that they cover the ground as far as he can see. All are pointing in the same direction, gems and rags still among their bones and dried skin. The main character then remembers that when a guide gets lost in the desert, the last thing they try is to go as far as they can in a single direction, in the hopes of getting out of the desert somewhere. Well, I hope the image helps trigger some ideas.
  • What species are the assassins?
  • What species are the assassins?
    Oh, that's easy. 3 Fluttermantises, 3 clickers, coordinated by a Great Mantis and the grafted Fluttermantis/stoneguard noble ( Kit't'kat'ke ) who's their sponsor.

The are out at Kit't'kat'ke's direction. He wanted to take a walk in the sandstorm, see who's trying to use it to cover their seditious activity. The PCs are taller and more fit and he wants them for his collection. He doesn't yet know about their seditious behavior but the fact that they ran away from him when he tried to drop a chain loop around a PC's is a sign of sedition in his mind.
  • -What kind of player resources won't work in this specific sandstorm and why? Like, are those resources still on their belongings?
    The PCs have been hiding their martial ability - one is Spider man strong and the other is Jet Li character fast in a fight.

Their other resources are minimal; they've got scimitars they didn't bring (can't walk around the city with scimitars). They've got several human allies that are holed up in the ghetto. They have a Clicker (ant-folk) sponsor who's also holed up.

Actually they're pretty screwed.
  • Who could use the sandstorm as cover to do something to the characters they otherwise couldn't do?
    Kit't'kat'ke is trying to use it to take possession of these humans and drag them back to the Tong Grounds (and its infamous oubliette).

• What's the worst thing that can happen in a sandstorm?
    Loss of consciousness, suffocation. Especially concerning if you're exerting yourself a lot and you don't have any protective garments.

The PCs don't have any protective garments.

The Tong do, although those garments are not perfect either.

• What does a sandstorm feel like on your skin?
    You know the sting of a little piece of sand when it gets kicked up by a speeding car on the way past you on the highway? Like that, every few seconds. This storm probably doesn't get worse than that (the really big ones will flay you). The big storm front is about to come through, the wall of fine dust in the air which will really screw with your lungs.
  • What do folks do to protect against that?
    Scarves are... decent but not great. Masks are used to protect the eyes. The PCs have neither.
  • What are some possible ways to orient yourself in a sandstorm (whether mundane or specialized/evolved/magical)?

Do the characters know about any of these methods?

Do their pursuers?
  • How long will the sandstorm last?

What is near/around the characters right now (landscape, architecture, items), and do they know about it?
  • What are some possible ways to orient yourself in a sandstorm (whether mundane or specialized/evolved/magical)?

Do the characters know about any of these methods?

Do their pursuers?
    It's an urban setting, so the best way is to find a pocket downwind and orient yourself by the buildings. The Tong have done this many times. The PCs have only been to this part of the city today.
  • How long will the sandstorm last?

What is near/around the characters right now (landscape, architecture, items), and do they know about it?
    The sandstorm will last a few hours. The big front (that wall of dust) is about to blow in.

The players are on a main causeway linking the West market (cheaper, closer to the ghetto) and the East market (more refined, closer to the Mound). They're closer to the East Market end. Nearby landmarks include Ztikik's Compound (a noble who is the sponsor of many soliders), the East Market, and a construction site where some humans were laboring earlier today, and several battened-down complexes of bug-folk.
  • edited January 2016
    Who else is caught out in the sandstorm, and what is their relationship to the PCs and their pursuers?

What is a nearby location which would make a great hiding place, and why would it be a terrible idea to stay there for any longer than a short while? (And who knows the answer to each question: PCs/pursuers, yes/no for each set.)
  • (Ry, I'm trying to focus my question based on what I'm guessing are your prep needs. How close am I to what you're looking for? Do you want more "zoomed-out" questions, or is this kind of local detail exactly what you're looking for?)
  • RyRy
    edited January 2016
    This is exactly it. the PCs Are in extreme danger of getting caught / killed by the Tong. But how that plays out… what are the levers and dials the players have to work with

Oh my god I could open the session by cutting to them being prisoners down in the oubliette. They would Be fine with that no scratch that, it won't work. The PCs haven't revealed their superpowers yet and it would rob them of the chance. They could get out of this on strength and luck
  • Are there any holes/breakable places that could lead the players to an underground cave/complex/sewers? Could that place be more dangerous than the storm outside, in a different way?
  • There are caves... There should be so many caves. But what's in them?
  • (WarriorMonk - looks like we had the exact same idea! :) )
  • Oh shit if the PCs can get into the caves they can get down to the fungal spidek level and the Tong will give up the chase…
  • well, that was something. The players managed to mostly run away and talk their way through the whole session. Ended up more or less right back where we started - a little more exposed to the world and maybe a little higher profile.