Uses of the Alien

RyRy
edited January 2016 in Story Games

Alien as a person (i.e. set dressing for an otherwise normal interaction)

Alien as person (i.e. to confront other players with the personhood)

Alien as grotesque (i.e. they are persons but their personhood is different or compromised) - as explorations

Alien as grotesque (i.e. they are persons but their personhood is different or compromised) - as horror

Alien as monster

Comments

• These are *very* different purposes and require really different treatments. But the distinction between the first 3 are the really interesting ones to me.

Do you have examples from your own games where you've done one of these?
  • I remember using a good immortal necromancer as a villain, as he found out that by turning everyone into undeads he could eliminate all kind of wars and conflict. No needs for resources to fight over anymore, no more fear nor worries, everyone could pursue their happiness in different ways as much as they wanted, a true paradise.

Still dunno why PCs went after him.
  • I've mainly used the alien (using your term loosely here; not actual extra-terrestrials) in the last two categories, if I understand your reading correctly.

I would say that, to me, the second and third are the most interesting.

I'll try to dig for some good examples...
  • RyRy
    edited January 2016
    I'd say that the aliens in District 9 is a good example of the confrontation of personhood

Also Samantha from Her
  • Would Kafka's Metamorphosis work as an example of the third category?
  • Mr. Spock is the third category, I guess? He's a person but he lacks some things humans have, which is a thing we explore and, maybe more importantly, contrast with Kirk, who has those things in abundance.
  • RyRy
    edited January 2016
    Yes Metamorphosis and Yes Spock, and Data as well