Small step towards an automated GM? Using predictive text algorithms

edited February 2017 in Make Stuff!
Still a long long way to go, as far as really being a substitute for a GM, but I've found at least two programs that seem like a step in that direction. One is an iOS app and the other a python app available on GitHub (the last link is an article about the Python program, which includes a link to GitHub for the source code).

Both apps use a "corpus" of text on which to base their suggestions for words that you should write next. One of them claims they have some Shakespeare as one of their seed texts, for example. These may allow you to write somewhat convincing take offs of the source material. The author of the article I listed thinks that the python program does anyway, because "[w]e've established such clear conventions and expectations for these websites, events, and TV shows that an algorithm can convincingly emulate them."

I think that this can be somewhat leveraged for emulating a GM. If you let the predictive output sort of guide you without much of an agenda other than keeping the output coherent and contextual, it feels like the computer is putting a GM response together for you semi-autonomously. This has been pretty good for me in terms of playing solo.

-Dreamer

p.s. By the by, I've tried to put a tool together myself, based on javascript, though it's less based on predicting on the basis of frequency like the two above.

Comments

• Interesting idea indeed...
  • edited February 2017
    By the by, I've tried to put a tool together myself, based on javascript, though it's less based on predicting on the basis of frequency like the two above.
  • I've made some changes to make the tool a bit easier to use on mobile devices (you can click on the suggestions to add them to the writing box). I've also tried to optimize its performance a bit by only analyzing the text on first loading the page, and letting the end user choose when to analyze again (before, it would analyze the seed + new text every time the user typed). Works pretty good on my iPhone 6S. Not so good on my Samsung tablet (android 4.4.2), but I've been having performance issues with that device for a while.

The thing that seems to slow it down the most is the rendering of the links for each word, so in the future I will add a way for users to specify which words to filter out from analysis and prediction. Removing words like "a, the, of, in," etc, would help a lot as those are the ones that cause the most hiccups.

Anyway, you can play around with it at: http://mypersonaloracle.blogspot.com/2017/01/var-text-quick-brown-fox-jumps-over.html