I have a game at 5PM today (3/20) what Story Game can I read/learn by 5PM works well with 3 players?

edited March 2017 in Story Games
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a one-shot collaborative GMless Storytelling game that works well with three players, which I can learn by 5PM today (3/20).
We played a lot of Fiasco and Follow lately so I'm looking to go with something else. I really like Fiasco and Follow so similar game might fit the bill. On another note, I am thinking about Montsegur 1244; does anyone know how well the game runs with three people? And if it's easy to learn in about 3 1/2 hours? Any suggestions for a game to play or info about my questions regarding Montsegur would be very much appreciated :-) thanks :-)

Comments

• So that's you plus two others?

I recommend Penny For My Thoughts.

I love Montsegur 1244 and it shouldn't take long to learn, but I'd enjoy it more with more than 3 players. I can't remember if there's anything about it that requires more, though...
  • So that's you plus two others?

I recommend Penny For My Thoughts.

I love Montsegur 1244 and it shouldn't take long to learn, but I'd enjoy it more with more than 3 players. I can't remember if there's anything about it that requires more, though...
    Yes, me plus two players. I started reading Mostsegur 1244 and it's seems a bit to much for me to absorb in such a short time. I will check out Penny For My Thoughts. Thanks for the suggestion David :-)
  • edited March 2017
    The Quiet Year. Virtually no prep necessary--you read the instructions out loud together as part of setup. Works great in that time frame.

Penny is also a great suggestion!
  • edited March 2017
    The Quiet Year. Virtually no prep necessary--you read the instructions out loud together as part of setup. Works great in that time frame.
    Thank you for the suggestion :-) I think I will play that game with this group soon; however, I think because it's a narrating type of game I might choose a different option tonight, being that these folks are fairly new to these games. Do you think it might be easier for a new group? I'm not sure? Thank you so much for reminding me of it, Stephen, that will be a great game to play with them :-)
  • edited March 2017
    Lasers and Feelings, dirt simple and easily leverages all those StarTrek tropes. Same goes for all the L&F hacks out there if you prefer a different theme. Technically, it has a GM, but those duties are so light weight that you can easily share them.
    http://onesevendesign.com/lasers_and_feelings_rpg.pdf
  • Downfall is for exactly three and is really easy to facilitate from the PDF ^_^
  • edited March 2017
    Downfall is for exactly three and is really easy to facilitate from the PDF ^_^
    Yes, Caroline! Awesome idea :-) I've been wanting to play your game for sometime; thanks so much for the suggestion :-)
  • In my experience, The Quiet Year is easy for newbies and experienced hands alike. Everyone needs to be on board with a non-character-centered game, though.
  • Oooh, Caroline beat me to Downfall!
  • So, how did it go? Curious minds and all that jazz.
  • Downfall sounds like a good choice. Were you successful?

And, of course, as you know, Musette is my "gateway drug" game for story gaming - I designed it specifically for that purpose.
  • @zircher
    @Paul_T
    We had an extra person show up, so we had to go with Follow being that I'm familiar with it. This week I'll play Downfall if I have 3 or if I have 4+ I'm going to play Montsegur 1244. I'm definitely going to play Musette with my least experienced group, in a bit, but first I want to introduce them to scene-games and play some narrative games later :-)
  • Indeed! Though it's interesting that you think of it that way. I think of Musette as the easy beginner game, since it doesn't require ability to roleplay or collaborate or invent interactive material - none of the tricky skills involved in freeform roleplaying.