Welcome to Story Games!

Welcome to Story Games! My name is James. I've been around in the roleplaying scene for about 4 years now, and I've been the head moderator (and sysadmin) for 3 years now, taking over for the founder and my friend @Andy.

This is a discussion community for people talking about roleplaying games. It tends to center around smaller and indie games, but there's still good discussions to be had about larp and more mainstream games. This place is quieter and slower than some, but I think that allows for a different type of conversation, and I think it's all the better for it.

Here are some general principles for the board:
* Keep the Zen
* Be inclusive in your conversations
* No politics, no drama, no hate.

Keep The Zen:
This is meant to be a chill place. It's fairly quiet, both in post frequency and in attitude. This isn't to say that you can't care about issues deeply, or that argument isn't enlightening, but in the end, if you find yourself getting very angry, it's probably a good time to take a short breather. It's my firm belief that the best discussions always come from a place of calm and respect for everybody else.

Be Inclusive In Your Conversations:
* Don't use terminology that may be obscure to people without explaining or linking to explanations, and don't dismiss people for not being up on whatever theoretical framework you use.
* Regardless of what gives you fun and joy, try to understand and empathize that other people have entirely different tastes.
* Especially in busy threads, try and make your posts conducive to the flow of discussion. Long point-by-point responses often break the flow of a conversation by demanding a ton of answers, and sidetracks might often be best jumped into another topic.
* Link to other threads if topics have already been covered, but be nice and open towards people asking questions, even if they've been answered before. Forum search is a dark art at best, and often a discussion that was had a year ago might take a new and delightful turn if it was started today.

No politics, no drama, no hate:
* No threads about politics
* Threads about gaming that become mostly about politics will get guided back.
* No attacking other people, here or elsewhere, subtly or directly.
* No racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, etc.
* No forum/internet drama, whether that's on this forum, other forums, whether it's in the past, present, or future.

There's other places to engage in drama and politics if that's what you want, and it doesn't fit into what we'd like this place to be.

Some final notes:
Drive-by promotions with no engagement with the community are prone to be considered spam.

What to do if I have a problem?
We have two active mods these days. You can whisper either me or @Jason_Morningstar. We both do our best to be fair, but our general mod policy is that we're very hands off, and then we like to stop threads that are spinning out of control quickly. In general, you shouldn't take it personally: sometimes discussions go awry. We generally only reserve personal punishments like temp bans for repeated offenses, or refusal to listen.

So don't worry. We will try to work things out in good faith if you act in good faith too. We will also listen to criticism and try and do a better job in the future.

It is also an important note that neither of us read every thread: if something is happening, you can't assume we're following along.

You can either flag threads, or whisper us through here to get our attention. Feel free to do it even if you don't think something is capital-W Wrong, but rather just something you want to bring to our attention, or a suggestion you have.

(There are other mods who are less active, such as the wonderful @anansi and @jenskot. Their word still holds just as much as ours.)

Finally:
Have fun. Enjoy. Make the place what you want it to be. Enjoy the Zen.

This is a living document. Feel free to whisper us with suggestions and corrections.
This discussion has been closed.