I Need Some Suggestions for Fiasco Play-sets w/ Different Genres for a Session Tonight @ 5 PM (4/27)

edited April 2017 in Story Games
I'm looking for some Fiasco play-sets in some different genres for tonight at 5 PM. Cyberpunk would be great...someone also requested Steam Punk...also, any unique genres or play-sets would be great (with the exception of Quotidian stuff). Any recommendations, which you have had great sessions with, would really be appreciated. Thank you all so much :-)

Comments

• The general wisdom with Fiasco is that the more "mundane" or "slice of life" the playsets, the more fun and successful the games tend to be.

I think that's good advice.
  • edited April 2017
    Well, I kind of agree with Paul. It is fun when the scenario is "relatable". While cyberpunk is fun for competent action heroes, more "normal" settings could get you higher emotional involvement.
  • edited April 2017
    We ended up playing the Touring Rock Band playset...it was a very funny session...I'm often completely blown away at how talented our players are...I will likely do a detailed play report if and when I have time. Thanks all :-)
  • The general wisdom with Fiasco is that the more "mundane" or "slice of life" the playsets, the more fun and successful the games tend to be.

I think that's good advice.
    Well, I kind of agree with Paul. It is fun when the scenario is "relatable". While cyberpunk is fun for competent action heroes, more "normal" settings could get you higher emotional involvement.
    Yes, I can see what you guys are saying. However, we played the Game of Thrones playset three weeks ago and the session was absolutely amazing.

• Yes, I can see what you guys are saying. However, we played the Game of Thrones playset three weeks ago and the session was absolutely amazing.
    I can relate to that! Possibly my most hilarious Fiasco game, ever, used a Medici playset (i.e. early Italian Renaissance in Florence). We ended up doing vulgar comedy in the manner of Boccaccio mixed with religious-political conspiracy, held together by a very straightforward heist. I have no idea whether that playset has been translated to English.

Of course, hilarity isn't the only measure of a good Fiasco game - you can have darker sessions as well, intense and moving.
  • I'd suggest that Game of Thrones, aside from a few moments of High Fantasy, is very concerned with the 'slice of life,' albeit a slice of medieval fantasy-kingdom life. It's certainly has a cast of characters defined by powerful ambition and poor impulse control.

"I push Bran out of the window."

• Well, I kind of agree with Paul. It is fun when the scenario is "relatable". While cyberpunk is fun for competent action heroes, more "normal" settings could get you higher emotional involvement.
    Exotic and extreme places, objects, relationships tend to have obvious ways in which interactions could be successful or unsuccessful, while many mundane or "normal" features offer an overwhelming variety of development possibilities, all for the worse.

If Fiasco characters go to a rather cyberpunk smoke-filled yakuza bar a certain sort of argument with a certain sort of people is likely, while if they go in the middle of a fog bank, too far to see where you came from the bad things to find and the opportunities to be hurt have been accumulating for a few billion years.
  • We've done The Ice a couple of times. I want to try it again tonight, but with a map of McMurdo station, some name lists etc. A little harder core.
  • One of the things I've seen Jason say is that, when Fiasco first appeared - with just the four playsets it includes - he noticed that almost EVERY time people wrote him to relate a bad experience they had with Fiasco, it turned out they were using The Ice playset. He would usually encourage them to go to a more "slice of life" playset for their next game. Interesting, right?

Jeff,

How did it go? Which playset did you end up using? I have a nice collection somewhere - sorry I didn't get a chance to get to it before your game.

By the way, if you ever want to do a game which quite explicitly does "The Ice" and you get a large number of players showing up at a game, here's a game you can use (and it seems like a ton of fun):

Utpost
  • edited April 2017
    One of the things I've seen Jason say is that, when Fiasco first appeared - with just the four playsets it includes - he noticed that almost EVERY time people wrote him to relate a bad experience they had with Fiasco, it turned out they were using The Ice playset. He would usually encourage them to go to a more "slice of life" playset for their next game. Interesting, right?

Jeff,

How did it go? Which playset did you end up using? I have a nice collection somewhere - sorry I didn't get a chance to get to it before your game.

By the way, if you ever want to do a game which quite explicitly does "The Ice" and you get a large number of players showing up at a game, here's a game you can use (and it seems like a ton of fun):

Utpost
    Paul, I think to frame it as not wanting a slice of life playset was wrong... what I meant to say was I don't want something that's too quotidian...any Cohen brothers movie is not quotidian in the sense that I meant...I don't consider any playset to be quotidian because of the way a Fiasco story is supposed to take shape... if you do it right it's pretty much impossible for it to be every day. We play a lot of Fiasco and I just wanted to make sure we were doing something that was different. We've played The Ice and had success (although I agree, I don't think it's the best playset out there), we've played Game of Thrones and had success (which was amazingly dark and serious); in fact, we've played a lot of Fiasco and never had a bad session.

We ended up playing The Touring Rockband. It was an incredibly funny and witty session. It was comedy gold. The people I play with are super talented, it amazes me :-) Anyway, I will do a write up of the session if and when I have time. Thanks :-)
  • Nice! We should play it together sometime.
  • edited April 2017
    Nice! We should play it together sometime.
    That would be awesome :-) I'll PM you my schedule for next week tonight after work and see if we can figure something out :-)

BTW, the games that our group rates as our favorite are: Fiasco, Follow, and Fall of Magic, and in each case we play the games in certain ways with certain approaches and we find that these approaches have consistently produceed great sessions with these games. I think these games are extremely solid, especially when guided by the approachs we apply :-)
  • edited April 2017