Where else do people discuss the art of story game design?

Certainly not all, but many of the posts here are or become discussions about story game design. These tend to be the posts of most interest to me actually So I'm in no wise complaining.

With the large numbers of games submitted to the various game competitions, it's not hard to get the impression that game making is nearly as big in "the hobby" as game playing.

so I'm wondering where else (online) people engage in story game design talk or listen to analysis of storygame systems etc.

I can recommend a few sites myself actually: a google+ community called "games on trial" that seems to involve some posters here actually. Also the podcast "across the table" has some great analysis.

So where else do you go to engage in storygame design discussions.

Thanks! Davey.

Comments

• edited September 2017
    This is actually the best place there is Davey. Another option is to get to know designers in the indie scene and talk one on one. The are some G+ places as well but I don't use G+ that much :smile:
  • 1. SG was at first not a design forum.
    2. SG started becoming a design forum.
    3. SG became too much of a design forum, and the designers were banished to the Praxis forum.

This was a long time ago, and in my mind SG has never recovered from the split.

My suggestion would first be to acquire a time travel device and return to the glory days of SG before the split.

My second suggestion, should a TTD not be available, find a small group. And discuss your thoughts with them. Be it under the cover of a podcast recording or a pizza night, or even late night ramblings on Facebook messenger. That is where you will strike gold.
  • Participating in a Game Chef or similarly structured contest is good. The forums, discussion groups, etc. surrounding the contest are very active for a month or two a year, then they die out. Do not enter GC every year, though, or you'll just keep starting projects you'll get nowhere near completion.
  • Wilhelm's comments are quite right: back in time is the way to go!
  • You could also go to IRC - which is, of course, kind of time travel too [grin].

Admittedly last night the #indierpgs channel mostly discussed the merits of the adventure genre of storytelling as it pertains to American tv drama over the last 20-30 years, but I could see game design as a legit topic just as well. The equivalent Finnish channel has practically designed a couple of excellent rpgs right there over the last few years; Tales of Entropy, for instance, was largely developed over IRC.

Not that I wouldn't prefer the forum-based approach, just like everybody else, but there is things to be said in favour of a small, committed team that hangs out online, ready to address design conundrums in real time. It's sort of like a book club for game design; works well if you happen to get the right people into the team.
  • Jeff slater: our story game seattle play testing group who meets in real life has been a great thing to be involved with, but that has ended, at least for the time being. This group mostly played each others games then gave feedback. It's a great arrangement. Hoping it is reborn at some point soon. I definitely prefer meeting with people in reAl life over online communication but until then I've been looking for online connections and as you say SG is great.

Wilhelm: I'm guessing praxis has died or changed as it doesn't seem like you were recommending it...

Rafu: that's great advice thanks!

Eero: I'll check out #indierpgs. Thanks.
  • davey: As I remember Praxis never took off, I visited a couple of times, but it didn't seem as interesting as the old SG had been. Perhaps it is a glorious place of awesome design talk these days, I don't know.
  • Y'guys reminded me of something...

I have at times effectively had a "design buddy", in the form of a friend I was chatting with almost daily and our conversations almost exclusively revolved around some game or some other either of us was designing. The last couple friends I had this kind of relationship with, it happened over GTalk - so I guess it can be whatever real-time medium you have.
  • I also believe in the design buddy concept.

@DeBracy, you're awesome.
  • Why of course! Did you know that even if the other person hasn't much experience with game design, just by trying to explain them your game you can make instant progress and notice flaws in the design? Things that often may sound great in your head become clear crystal when you put them in words. Funny enough, writing them down doesn't have the same effect as trying to explain them to others.

However it is kinda sad there aren't too many places like SG anymore, or at least I expected to see more listed. Let's hope technology eventually finds a better way to help us exchange ideas, organize them, archive them for later use and find other people interested.
  • Mostly on G+ these days, pretty much.
  • I hate social networks as substitutes for forums :(
    Even G+ groups are horribly dispersive, hard to follow, hard to find.
    It's a big black hole that devours interesting discussions.
  • Don't forget the game design forum on RPGGeek.
  • I find the community at the Traditional Games forum on Something Awful think about games in the same way I do, and since my preferences and opinions were honed on Story-Games I expect many people here would find the same thing: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=234
  • I find the community at the Traditional Games forum on Something Awful think about games in the same way I do, and since my preferences and opinions were honed on Story-Games I expect many people here would find the same thing: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=234
    It looks like a mess over there, Sanglorian! Any tips for how to find the good stuff? It's not particularly focused on game design, is it?

• edited September 2017

It looks like a mess over there, Sanglorian! Any tips for how to find the good stuff? It's not particularly focused on game design, is it?
    Sorry Bill, I did kind of throw you into the deep end, didn't I?!

I would recommend starting with the Board Game Design Workshop (other tabletop games included, not just board games).

If you like what you see there, poke around some of the other threads that are about games you might be interested in (there's threads for Blades in the Dark, Powered by the Apocalypse games, D&D 5E, etc). Most of the bigger threads go off topic frequently, so the TG Chat Thread, the TG Industry thread and so on will end up talking about tabletop game design, but that's not their focus (and mostly from the perspective of evaluating existing games, rather than making your own).

EDIT: But I should clarify that Something Awful is a place I discuss story game design because I'm also interested in everything else they discuss there, and there's a lot of overlap between their game philosophy and mine; I wouldn't go there specifically to talk game design if I wasn't interested in the rest.
  • EDIT: But I should clarify that Something Awful is a place I discuss story game design because I'm also interested in everything else they discuss there, and there's a lot of overlap between their game philosophy and mine; I wouldn't go there specifically to talk game design if I wasn't interested in the rest.
    And... are you able to provide a quick pitch what "the rest" is all about? The name of the website isn't terribly useful in figuring out. :-D
  • Is it a good idea to re-instate "Praxis" again?

The divide still remains:
    - People wanting to discuss story game theory in depth and breadth.
    - People sharing concise, result-oriented game design advice.

I definitely belong to the second group. While I appreciate a solid theoretical background, my passion is in designing games. So, I'm too impatient to follow & contribute to very lenghty discussions. I prefer to get and give game design advice in brevity. Probably to the theorists, my posts may seem shallow, I don't know.

Still, just saying "go to G+" is also not the answer. I really appreciate the forum format with the ability to reference and return to discussions. I also don't want to join a traditional RPG or board game design forum, they tend to have a different focus,
    "Story Games Forum" is really the right place because here is where the people are who like the same games I like.

Nonetheless, is the Reforged community still active? (how can I join?)
    https://plus.google.com/communities/107767351245324995865?hl=en
  • And... are you able to provide a quick pitch what "the rest" is all about? The name of the website isn't terribly useful in figuring out. :-D
    The rest is everything! Instead of having forums for different games or topics (design, the industry, crowdfunding), there's just a thread per game or per topic.

Even where there are multiple threads for the one game, the split might be about attitudes to the game. For example, there are multiple threads on Warhammer/Warhammer 40k, with one thread for Warhammer fans, one for Warhammer detractors, and so on.

Typically each thread's first post is an introduction to whatever game/topic the thread is about, and then everything that follows is just unstructured discussion.

So for example, the Reaper thread discussed the new Bones Kickstarter, the Reaper employee with alt-right sympathies, how you can give Bones miniatures to your kids to play with because they're unbreakable, etc., all roughly at the same time and in the same place.
  • Personally, I see no need to separate theoretical discussions from more practical ones (and even like having them all in the same place!).

I'm happy to participate in both, as (I think) I have always done.

• I could imagine having threads with [theory] and [praxis] tags - maybe even for the same topic.
    This way, one thread could focus on concise answers while the other could pursue in-length discussions.
  • Yeah, I think it's totally fine for anyone starting a thread to specify what kind of feedback they want.

(Personally, I don't think tags are necessary for this - I don't really know how I would meangibfully engage differently with the same query given different tags like that. The question or post itself has a lot more to with my response, in other words.)
  • Someone should start a podcast focused exclusively on gmLess storygames. There have been a few efforts in this vein so far, but not anything that really carves out this one particular niche of the rpgverse. This kinda thing exists for pbta games and I think it has expanded the community of players. One of the obvious counters to this suggestion is that the audience would be too small. But that's true of any movement in its formative years. Build it and they will come.

The gauntlet has expanded pbta gaming. Across the table and indices have addressed story games more than other places I'm aware of. I'd love for there to be a podcast ALL about gmLess storygames though.

I'm too inexperienced to do this well. Someone should seize the opportunity. The niche is there for you to claim!

Cheers,
    Davey