Principia Apocrypha: GM Principles for running OSR-style games in PbtA

edited December 2017 in Play Advice
Just saw this, and was not able to find a mention of it in the forums yet. Thinking it may be of some interest to someone.

I haven't read the whole thing through, and I don't know how different it is from the OSR Primer, but some of these sound interesting

Honor the dice,
and the players

Divest yourself of their fate

Build responsive situations

Leave preparation flexible

Embrace chaos...
...But uphold logic

Let them go off the rails
https://plus.google.com/100235234777467665842/posts/72c8kwEfZpw

Direct link to the google doc here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zk9G5m0sHDvkDto3iITfJKacINYa_TAPxuStYaaZ_FA/edit#

Comments

• Someone here, on this forum (WarriorMonk, perhaps?) wrote up a really nice "summary" of what their particular roleplaying game operation was like, in terms of how the game should go, how the players should act, and so on. It was similarly presented as a list of principles and I remember really liking that approach. So much clarity, especially for someone new joining the game!
  • Someone here, on this forum (WarriorMonk, perhaps?) wrote up a really nice "summary" of what their particular roleplaying game operation was like, in terms of how the game should go, how the players should act, and so on. It was similarly presented as a list of principles and I remember really liking that approach. So much clarity, especially for someone new joining the game!
    For reference:
  • Those are great, but I seem to remember a list of specific player-directed principles for "how to play your character" and "how to engage with the game". They were much more practical, and a nice orientation to joining the game in progress. Not so much roleplaying techniques as player guidance (things like, "Make sure your character has a shield and torches" or "Don't waste time checking corners, the GM tells us when there's something to find").