[Dream System] Poll on a Mechanic

I am currently designing my Dream RPG System and I have a problem I haven't been able to solve. I've been flipping between a game that uses a straight Token auction to resolve conflicts and another mechanic that is almost the same, but it uses Cards.

The only real difference would be that the Tokens will be able to make it easier to play online, while the Cards will add some randomness to the game. So please, reach out with your feelings and tell me which one is more attractive to you.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

https://www.facebook.com/keith.sears.9

Comments

• edited March 2018
    If the tokens make it appeal to wider audience, i.e. online and tabletop players, I'd say go with them.
  • Roll20 has a card deck, if that could help with online playing.
  • James, thank you. The main reason I came with the poll is to get an idea what mechanic might be more appealing. As you probably know, gamers have some very definite favorites when it comes to what they like to play with. I did come up with a dice mechanic as well, but I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted and dice tend to win hands down in any poll.
  • Emarsk, thank you.
    I'll most likely be using Roll20 to playtest the game. The virtual deck they use looks like it will do the job.
  • Without playing I couldn't day for sure, but tokens sound less fiddly and would pique my interest more.
  • Thank you Tanya for your input. I/m sorry that I haven't been able to present much information about the game. I'll have more about it as it develops.

By the way, the Poll is public and there are 2 days left on it. If you want to vote, you can find it at https://www.facebook.com/keith.sears.9/posts/1782106458477840?notif_id=1521533066749799&notif_t=visual_poll_vote_feedback&ref=notif.
  • This is an important question, but, ultimately, without more context, it's impossible for me to answer.

I'd say to try it both ways and see which "feels" better, for starters.