Brick and Mortar

edited January 2007 in Story Games
the Endgame sales thread got me thinking. Is there a list of realspace stores that stock Indie games? If there is, please post a link. If not please post a store location with what stock you've seen. I think Tad has volunteered to post them in a flickr map

Comments

• once we get some locations going I will make that flicr map and link it here so we can all use it. Also working on a master list of all indie games, publishers, websites for my own use as well and will post that too once I get the intial up online.
  • You can add us of course:

EndGame
    921 Washington St.
    Oakland, Ca 94607

I am also glad to see the thread sparked something...that was the whole intent, and I am glad it wasn't viewed as shameless self promotion.

Ch
    -EndGame
  • Does Brennan have a list of stores that work with IPR? Does such a thing exist?

My FLGS is :
    Between Books
    2703 Philadelphia Pike
    Claymont, Delaware 19703
    phone: (302)798-3378 fax:
    (302)798-3078
    email: BetweenBooks@Verizon.net

He has a pretty significant selection of the standard faire but I know he carries BW and BE, a good number of other small press stuff (like Artesia) and I am trying to get him in a shelf or two of the list favs (hopefully through IPR).
  • My LGS sucks. It makes me sad. :(
  • edited January 2007
    perhaps we can forge some kind of Indie Games Street Team out of this?
  • My FLGS is

The Days of Knights
    173 East Main Street
    Newark, DE 19711
    (302) 366-0963

I've only ever seen one copy of the Monster Burner and one copy of Panty Explosion.

Don: I've been considering telling them about IPR as well. If you succeed with Beyond Books let me know, because it's really no big deal for me to drive up there.

And now I think we have all of northern Delaware covered. There is a little store in Elkton, MD that I haven't been able to check out yet, so I'm not sure what their roleplaying selection is like.
  • perhaps we can forge some kind of, Indie Games Street Team, out of this?
    Doesn't this fly in the face of what the indie games community is supposed to be about?

Indie games developers are already hitting the streets, promoting their own games and giving a leg up to fellow designers. To try to institutionalize indie game promotion in such a way seems to... I don't know... defeat the intent of the community.

But then again, is it that different from IPR? I don't know.
  • sorry. I meant, of course only to get the games into stores, and with the creators permission. It was just an idea. I was thinking about how unsigned bands get people informed when they are coming to town, that was my impetus
  • My FLGS is, oddly, part of the larger organization of RPGShop. To their credit, they carry a lot of indie games, despite the fact that they could be seen to be in competition with IPR and such. I'd call this extremely supportive.

http://www.game-universe.com

Mike
  • Posted By: Mike HolmesMy FLGS is, oddly, part of the larger organization of RPGShop. To their credit, they carry a lot of indie games, despite the fact that they could be seen to be in competition with IPR and such. I'd call this extremely supportive.

http://www.game-universe.com
    I think James told me you have to sell your game on their site if you want to have it in the store, and the cut is much higher than IPR's.
  • Well, then there's several people who've gone for it. Luke Crane at the top of the list, but some folks named Nathan as well...

In any case, apparently there's no problem going through both IPR and his store for some people at least.

And, yes, when Universalis was sold there, Ralph was primarily selling through James, which has changed.

In any case, isn't James' deal better than getting into a store by distro through IPR? That is, given the store discount after Brennan's discount, isn't that larger than James' cut? I could be wrong there.

Now, that said, I don't know if James allows indie games in because he's supportive, or because he allows in anything. But the effect is that you can sell through him if you want. Seems pretty equitable.

Mike
  • This whole idea is to let us all see where, what physical store fronts, are carrying the indie games.
  • Annoyingly,I'd just convinced my LGS to start experimenting with some indie stuff from IPR late last year. They were really enthusiastic about the idea and ordered a few copies of Burning Wheel, some copies of Capes, The Mountain Witch and a few other things, plus some stuff specifically for me.

They got the stuff in, put it on the shelves at very reasonable prices and promptly went out of business a week or so later.

Inconsiderate bounders.
  • institutionalize

I think you are thinking of this the wrong way, the way I read it was, "Hey, we have people talking to stores about our games, maybe we can pool our experience and all help each other sell more stuff." It's about people helping people.

• Yes! It was never my intention to create the Indie Gaming Brownshirts. Thanks Shreyas, that is what i meant. I really need a copy editor.
  • edited January 2007
    This whole idea is to let us all see where, what physical store fronts, are carrying the indie games.
    Not sure if this is aimed at me, but my point was that James' brick and mortar front for his online business (you can see a picture of it at the link above, it's a beautiful store inside) does, in fact, carry a number of indie games. But as Matt points out, he only puts them on the shelf if you agree to sell them via his online business as well.

Mike
  • Greenfield Games
    228 Main St
    Greenfield, MA 01301
    http://www.griffongames.com/

They carry a few indie games - mine, Meg's, Jasper McChesney's. I think they rely on face-to-face contact from us local publishers. I've been remiss in recommending IPR to them.

Vincent
  • They were really enthusiastic about the idea and ordered a few copies of Burning Wheel, some copies of Capes, The Mountain Witch and a few other things, plus some stuff specifically for me.

They got the stuff in, put it on the shelves at very reasonable prices and promptly went out of business a week or so later.
    YOU SEE!!! INDIE GAMING DOES DESTROY THE HOBBY!!!

-Andy
  • My FLGS:
    Lost Goblin Games
    www.lostgoblingames.com
    2431 Spring Forest Rd
    Suite 129
    Raleigh, NC
    Phone # 919-876-6969

I've mostly pushed for Burning Wheel (which was on the shelf as of last weekend), but Richard and Robin (the owners) will likely order anything you want.